Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 11:00 pm

Heh, wow, looks like this thread's become a big debate on existential reality.

If I were to throw down my own take: there is one unified reality, one to one, you really can't make your reality. The idea on the filters though; I really think it depends what your made of at the core. Some people really can make themselves happy just by denying certain aspects of their realities or changing what they believe just to suite their emotional health.

For me I can't, I'm not built that way at all - in fact anytime I try I really feel like I'm headed down the wrong path, feel intensely uncomfortable like its a path to a complete nowhere where my best attributes and everything that makes me me (in a good way) is just stolen by embracing...well....it feels like internal/spiritual mediocrity. For me to work on my adjustment to things takes really dwelling on the things that I'm horrified with, figuring them out, coming to peace with what's there and that its not going away, allowing for it as part of my reality, but at the same time forcing myself to hold my head up and stay strong - even if I may say some things occasionally that may sound sharply negative when I talk about my sense of reality I won't let it flatten my sense of pride or dignity.

Life is an ongoing and always evolving thing. You want to learn, you want to expand, you want to figure yourself out better IMO. Then again I really can't say that I have any idea what its like to have that drive, if someone without that drive though would be as ill and unhappy doing what I do (to some degree a more managed - now at least, maybe not in the past - version of what Todd says he does) if I were taking their rout and simply not trying; I guess I wouldn't recommend it. I chalk it up to this - hypothalamus, brain chemicals, neurodiversity; the whole saying 'different strokes for different folkes' is something I'm finding to be very true. Yeah, it used to really drive me crazy when it came to politics that most people can't get their heads in the game to see what's what - people die, soldiers and combatants, car bombs blow, kids get taken hostage, people get a free neck scratching on Al Jazeera; this is the cost we pay though for having and allowing our freedoms and differences of opinion, withholding the right to judge others on their actions based on certain rules of rights and personal sovereignty, just like one person can't change the next if they can't see it the other persons way. Sadly subjective reality and sharp focused 'my way is it' are both to blame to probably an equal degree (again, I'm saying this as a guy who votes Republican - everything is a check and balance to the next thing and if we didn't have have this tug of war I'd imagine the human condition would even be worse; human monkeys, as a weighted average - don't want piece in the sense that they don't want to make the sacrifices necessary; they want theirs and analyzing their realities for flaws in their own thinking, if anything, makes them less potent since lacking knowledge adds a certain braggado that many societies really seem to reward).

Hmmm, debating... do I submit or delete.....submit or delete...hmmm...., nah I think I may just hit submit; even if this like a lot of my other stuff like this, just gets blown over without so much as a blink. I know people try to weave humor into everything but I still can't tell whether my discomfort and reluctance in posting things like this is that I'm not being glib and breezy enough to code it into extended word play and banter or if its just the fact that what I'm presenting is challenging or not necessarily as feel-good or benign as what most people prefer to lock their reality filters on. Either way, if I'm breaking up the feng shue or natural peace or flow of this thread...(shrugg).....hate me today love me later.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 11:29 pm

salsa wrote:
Quote:
Why is it that as soon as you get 'close' to someone, anger can step in so much more easily and totally obscure, even negate any feelings of love?

Can one say that love is still there for you if you have had a row and the person in that heated anger wishes you dead or feels total loathing for you? How can that be love?

good questions and answers are different for everybody. I f I love someone and he does something that hurts me deeply, I am like a wounded animal at times. I strike out to make the pain stop. I simply want the pain to go away. ... not the person , just the pain. and when in that state — temporarily — I will banish all reminders of that persons' energy in my life. And i might say this in words that hurt —— which I regret later.

For me, I''ve found that if I ride through the pain long enough anger's fire will cool, and then I will feel and see the love more clearly and in stark contrast. Although I do love unconditionally those that I love —— I accept who they are and don't want to change who they are — I will get angry at their actions that hurt me.

and sometime sthat anger is a mighty beast made all the mightier because I love. .... doesn't make sense I know.

Thanks...that has helped me to see it differently.
I was taking a rather pessimistic view on the way anger can hide love when in the midst of an argument etc.
But I have been told that love is more powerful than anger in the long run.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

13 Sep 2007, 11:39 pm

Anger can be a mixture of a lot of emotions, such as sadness, confusion, and grief. And it can fade away to nothingness. But love covers all emotions - sadness, grief, happiness, anger, excitement, fear, confusion, serenity, anxiety, I could go on forever. And it can last a lifetime. Sometimes unwiltering. That's real love.

So I'd agree with whoever said love is more powerful in the long run.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 5:16 am

A way to die.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 6:37 am

Todd489 wrote:
You can set your "mind filters" to believe that garbage is food, if you want.

1. There's a huge difference between theory and practice. Go on, run a few "real world" experiments yourself.
2. Attacking other members ideas is perfectly acceptable. Attacking other members (name calling) is not. Mind you manners please.

- Emerson

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 2:55 pm

MrMark wrote:
2. Attacking other members ideas is perfectly acceptable. Attacking other members (name calling) is not. Mind you manners please.

So it's alright to say "that site in your signature is full of the stupidest f*****g ideas I've ever seen in my life" is acceptable? But it's not ok to say "You disgust me for trying to brainwash kids into worthless potheads who will probably follow Kant" isn't? That's strange, because they're both facts and as an American citizen I have a right to state the facts. Fact is, you're a complete D-A.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 3:54 pm

I cannot understand the concept of judging someone based on their ideas and opinions. let alone becoming so aggressive at such. Maybe this is misdirected anger that stems from something else, I wonder?
Either way, it is not condusive to much and it would be nice if people might get back to the topic rather than spitting empty expletives all over the place :P

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 4:56 pm

Todd489 wrote:
Fact is, you're a complete D-A.

You just called him a district attorney?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 6:48 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I cannot understand the concept of judging someone based on their ideas and opinions.

I can, but I think there's a time its better to take it to PM and off the threads.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 6:54 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
I cannot understand the concept of judging someone based on their ideas and opinions.

I can, but I think there's a time its better to take it to PM and off the threads.

I agree.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 8:26 am

Romantic love has no meaning. It is just a motis operandi. This is always true, even when it seems totally awesome: that feeling will fade, and so will the "love" you were experiencing.

Last edited by Ragtime on 20 Sep 2007, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 5:44 pm

Only one kind of love.
It has differing expressions.

Eric_C
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 7:05 pm

Freedom, Warm, cuddly, childhood, funny, embarrising, comforting, always coming back for more, don't want you to leave, DON'T GO!! !, needy, rebels, distroying anxioty, part of you. ;)

_Eric ;)