Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 8:04 pm

Right, so from that perspective, isn't it
easier to change the filters than to try
and change something we can't actually
touch?

Always seemed that way to me. Then again,
I suppose it's like the "love the one your with"
idea. If I liked fat males, I'd be set for life.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 8:14 pm

calandale wrote:
Right, so from that perspective, isn't it
easier to change the filters ...

Absolutly. The first big hurdle is recognizing that the world we live in is up here (in our minds) and not out there. The creator god exists inside of us creating the world we live in moment to moment. We are the creator god. “If you want to change the world…”

- Emerson

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 9:48 pm

Stow that Kant BS right now.

The world is what the world is. You can set your "mind filters" to believe that garbage is food, if you want. Go ahead, start chowing down on rotten banana peels and syringes. It's food according to your mind, so it's food, right? Yeah, you're only thirsty because your mind filters are set up to make your throat feel that way. You don't ever need to waste another second drinking because the thirst is all in your head, right?

Hey, dipshit. Guess what happens when you eat nothing but garbage and never drink any water? You f*****g die! That's because garbage is garbage and water is water and your body is your body and they do what they are designed to do regardless of what you say and think about them!

If George Bush is a criminal and you just decide to say he isn't to spare yourself the TORMENT OF THINKING, guess what? HE'S STILL A CRIMINAL! THOSE PEOPLE ARE STILL DEAD! THEIR BODIES ARE UNDERGROUND AND IMMOBILE! DOES YOUR f*****g ret*d SUBJECTIVIST MIND COMPREHEND THAT OR ARE YOU TOO BUSY WONDERING WHY PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF DYING WHEN THE WORLD IS OBVIOUSLY AN ILLUSION LIKE IN "THE MATRIX?" HOLY s**t YOU'RE f*****g DAFT!

I dare you to go stand in traffic, you c**t. See what happens when that Ford hits you at 55 mph. Nothing, right? It's all in your head, you created the Ford and you can make it go away, right? The laws of physics are controlled by you, right?

NO! NO YOU MORONIC DICKHEAD! YOU GET HIT BY THE TRUCK AND YOU DIE! REALITY EXISTS AND IF YOU DON'T RECOGNIZE IT THEN IT WILL PUNISH YOU FOR YOUR STUPIDITY! JESUS CHRIST I CANNOT POSSIBLY IMAGINE HOW ANYONE COULD BE THAT f*****g DUMB AS TO BELIEVE THAT THEY CONTROL REALITY! I HATE YOU AND YOUR APATHETIC NIHILISTIC SELF-DESTRUCTIVE NON-MIND! YOU. ARE. MY. f*****g. ENEMY.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 9:52 pm

Didn't do it with a Ford, but rather a train.

The train broke.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 9:54 pm

THIS ISN'T A LAUGHING MATTER. I AM SO SICK OF THESE NIHILIST KANT-KUNTS THAT IT MAKES ME WANT TO COMMIT 5TH DEGREE MURDER.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:06 pm

5th degree sounds pretty mild.

Is that murder by wishful thinking?

You need a mellow pill, dude.

Or to turn cap locks off.

Yogamat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2007, 10:10 pm

Todd489 wrote:
THIS ISN'T A LAUGHING MATTER. I AM SO SICK OF THESE NIHILIST KANT-KUNTS THAT IT MAKES ME WANT TO COMMIT 5TH DEGREE MURDER.

agreed. that's why I like my one sentence definition.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

13 Sep 2007, 10:14 pm

Striving for perfection can lead you to an early grave.

Perfection is immortality.

So those who strive for perfection are going about it the WRONG way. :P

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:15 pm

Heh, if its not sincerely caring about someone and feeling that invested or like they make so much of a qualitative difference (or they're that rare in a good way) that they're indispensable or irreplaceable - I guess I'm just getting old.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:19 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:

I'd say the opposite.
Perfection is absolute nothingness.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:19 pm

I don't personally believe there is a verbal explanation for the ol' four-letter word. I mean of course there's this:

Quote:
love /lʌv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[luhv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, loved, lov·ing.
–noun
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
8. (initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13. Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
–verb (used with object)
15. to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16. to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17. to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19. to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20. to have sexual intercourse with.
–verb (used without object)
21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
—Verb phrase
22. love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
—Idioms
23. for love,
a. out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
b. without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24. for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25. in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26. in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
27. make love,
a. to embrace and kiss as lovers.
b. to engage in sexual activity.
28. no love lost, dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers.

However, I think love is the one emotion that is pure emotion. No words. No expressions. Just feeling. And you know when you feel it. It hits you like a brick wall on a cold day.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:20 pm

calandale wrote:
LadyMacbeth wrote:

I'd say the opposite.
Perfection is absolute nothingness.

Exactly my point. It doesn't exist. It's impossible.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:32 pm

Nothing is better than the best thing.

Yogamat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2007, 10:34 pm

Well, if anybody knows whereof she speaks about love, t'would be Lady MacBeth.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:47 pm

Going back to the definition,
as I've said elsewhere,
'tis me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 11:00 pm

Heh, wow, looks like this thread's become a big debate on existential reality.

If I were to throw down my own take: there is one unified reality, one to one, you really can't make your reality. The idea on the filters though; I really think it depends what your made of at the core. Some people really can make themselves happy just by denying certain aspects of their realities or changing what they believe just to suite their emotional health.

For me I can't, I'm not built that way at all - in fact anytime I try I really feel like I'm headed down the wrong path, feel intensely uncomfortable like its a path to a complete nowhere where my best attributes and everything that makes me me (in a good way) is just stolen by embracing...well....it feels like internal/spiritual mediocrity. For me to work on my adjustment to things takes really dwelling on the things that I'm horrified with, figuring them out, coming to peace with what's there and that its not going away, allowing for it as part of my reality, but at the same time forcing myself to hold my head up and stay strong - even if I may say some things occasionally that may sound sharply negative when I talk about my sense of reality I won't let it flatten my sense of pride or dignity.

Life is an ongoing and always evolving thing. You want to learn, you want to expand, you want to figure yourself out better IMO. Then again I really can't say that I have any idea what its like to have that drive, if someone without that drive though would be as ill and unhappy doing what I do (to some degree a more managed - now at least, maybe not in the past - version of what Todd says he does) if I were taking their rout and simply not trying; I guess I wouldn't recommend it. I chalk it up to this - hypothalamus, brain chemicals, neurodiversity; the whole saying 'different strokes for different folkes' is something I'm finding to be very true. Yeah, it used to really drive me crazy when it came to politics that most people can't get their heads in the game to see what's what - people die, soldiers and combatants, car bombs blow, kids get taken hostage, people get a free neck scratching on Al Jazeera; this is the cost we pay though for having and allowing our freedoms and differences of opinion, withholding the right to judge others on their actions based on certain rules of rights and personal sovereignty, just like one person can't change the next if they can't see it the other persons way. Sadly subjective reality and sharp focused 'my way is it' are both to blame to probably an equal degree (again, I'm saying this as a guy who votes Republican - everything is a check and balance to the next thing and if we didn't have have this tug of war I'd imagine the human condition would even be worse; human monkeys, as a weighted average - don't want piece in the sense that they don't want to make the sacrifices necessary; they want theirs and analyzing their realities for flaws in their own thinking, if anything, makes them less potent since lacking knowledge adds a certain braggado that many societies really seem to reward).

Hmmm, debating... do I submit or delete.....submit or delete...hmmm...., nah I think I may just hit submit; even if this like a lot of my other stuff like this, just gets blown over without so much as a blink. I know people try to weave humor into everything but I still can't tell whether my discomfort and reluctance in posting things like this is that I'm not being glib and breezy enough to code it into extended word play and banter or if its just the fact that what I'm presenting is challenging or not necessarily as feel-good or benign as what most people prefer to lock their reality filters on. Either way, if I'm breaking up the feng shue or natural peace or flow of this thread...(shrugg).....hate me today love me later.