Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 12:50 am

This happened last week:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_ ... it_l_engle

It's very sad, she was one of my favorite authors. :cry: I think she had some poignant AS/autistic character in her work... most notably Meg and Charles Wallace in A Wrinkle in Time. An excellent book, that.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2007, 2:22 am

I just loved all of her works. I watched the movie, "A Wrinkle in Time," in her honor. There is a good interview with her, included with the extras on DVD. I was stunned to learn that she knew very little about science, but wrote such a wonderful book. She was, however, fascinated with particle physics, which led to her writing that particular story. She was truly an awesome writer!

Last edited by hartzofspace on 13 Sep 2007, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 2:30 am

WOW! I didn't even know she was still alive.

We read the books to our daughter when she was pretty young.
Wrinkle in Time was my favorite... Wind in the door (or whatever that one and the other were called) put me to sleep. :(

zee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 5:13 am

wsmac wrote:
WOW! I didn't even know she was still alive.

We read the books to our daughter when she was pretty young.
Wrinkle in Time was my favorite... Wind in the door (or whatever that one and the other were called) put me to sleep. :(

I agree, Wind in the Door had a good idea but was poorly executed. But you can't have the highs without the lows. I also liked the Austin family books, particularly A Ring of Endless Light and The Moon by Night. They talked about life and death in a candid but profound way.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 5:40 am

hartzofspace wrote:
I just loved all of her works. I watched the movie, "A Wrinkle in Time," in her honor. There is a good interview with her, included with the extras on DVD. I was stunned to learn that she knew very little about science, but wrote such a wonderful book. She was, however, fascinated with particle physics, which led to her writing that particular story. She was truy an awesome writer!

Yes, that is an amazing book, a curious blend of science, fantasy, and real life. I thought the movie was a bit too Disney-ish, but the visuals were nice.
Here are some memorable lines:

IT: But that's exactly what we have on Camazotz. Complete equality. Everybody exactly alike.

For a moment her brain reeled with confusion. Then came a moment of blazing truth. "No!" she cried triumphantly. "Like and equal are not the same thing at all!"

All things by immortal power,
Near or far,
Hiddenly
To each other linked are,
That thou canst not stir a flower
Without troubling a star.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 6:36 pm

Shame, I too used to love her books when younger... must re-read them at some point.