skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 5:53 am

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 6:13 am

This doesn't surprise me any more. Just horrifies me.

On sabbatical...

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:38 am

That's one of the things that upsets me the most--- that it's so common that it doesn't surprise people anymore.
Maybe once upon a time, criminals were fewer and even more polite--- a robber might simply rob a person. But today, you almost expect the robber to take the loot, shoot the clerk and then piss on the dead guy's body for kicks. People seem to be getting meaner... but I also know that people did horrible things to other people 5o years ago and way further back through history.
I don't know what to think anymore--- i just don't know.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 12:03 pm

Sick. The death penalty should be the punishment, after they are put through what they put their victims through.

beyondtheinfinite
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2007, 4:04 pm

Scum like this should not be allowed to mingle with the general population, period. In my opinion, someone who does something like this doesn't qualify as human. I'm sorry if anyone here is anti-death-penalty, but in all honesty I do not want to share a planet with these people.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 7:38 pm

Hmm, when did it upset people? I am somewhat surprised that this was so far up north, but tons of black people have been murdered further south and people accepted it. I really don't see a historical case for people really giving more of a damn, just an idealistic view of the past.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 8:19 am

I know it happened much more in the past, this type of crime--- it's still sad to think that as humans, we think we are so advanced and can treat cancers and put people in space... but still kill on impulse and for reasons like color or religion.

Texas_Arcane
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2007, 5:44 am

... and the media is so selective about the stories it publishes.

But if you really do have Asperger's, you'd know that already.

Hey. Here's a horrible story for you. It's a shame it just doesn't fit the template the media wants to publish.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:53 am

skahthic wrote:
I know it happened much more in the past, this type of crime--- it's still sad to think that as humans, we think we are so advanced and can treat cancers and put people in space... but still kill on impulse and for reasons like color or religion.

It really isn't surprising at all. You speak of technological advancement but technology doesn't improve the basic premises upon which we act, it merely gives us tools to act.