does/did anyone have parents who didn't understand your AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

rachiee_face90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2007, 5:28 pm

I don't know if I am the only one, but I live with my mother currently and she knows of my AS but she continually makes fun of me, mocks me, and constantly tries to make me feel awful.
In the past she has struck me in the face with a glass Perrier bottle in anger (due to the fact I "would not shut up). She tries to make me feel less than a human being. She doesn't understand sometimes I find it very difficult to stop once I start talking about one of my subjects. And I can never tell what makes her angry, so she calls me "stupid" and worse for not understanding she wants to be left alone (I live with just my mother).

She thinks the AS is something I formed in my mind to get attention.

Often I feel that some NTs can be extremely cruel, but I think my opinion is biased due to my mother's treatment of me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with a parent?

Just curious.

elvenmage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2007, 6:01 pm

Yes, my parents don't understand my AS... I think they have this vision of a perfect teenager that they want me to be but because i have alot of troubles trying to be "normal" i don't get on with them very well at all and my AS gets worse just because they don't treat me properly - sometimes they say things like there nothing wrong with me i am just trying to be difficult.

Anyway i hope it will change after my proper diagnoses which is in a few weeks.

rachiee_face90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2007, 8:03 pm

Alot of my friends have parents that always want them to live up to some "perfect" ideal 8O

elvenmage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2007, 8:11 pm

rachiee_face90 wrote:
Alot of my friends have parents that always want them to live up to some "perfect" ideal 8O

Yeah alot of parents are like that.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 9:26 pm

does/did anyone have parents who didn't understand your AS

yes, they never knew. They always thought it was me doing it willfully and could stop it if I chose. I couldn't, so they assumed I did it to torment them.

Sometimes I wish I did do it just to torment them, though. Or if my actions tormented them it was maybe boomerang karma from them tormented me. come to think of it, hey were probably just as clueless as I was -

but they never knew I am Asperger's Syndrome Disorder and died never knowing.

Merle

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2007, 12:51 am

the sheer quantity of the things my mum (or my step dad) cant understand is quite astounding how much of it is AS is not really clear

rachiee_face90 are you sure your mum is trying to make you feel less than a human being? ........ ive thought a couple times that the aforementioned where majorly f*****g with me and it just turned out to be a misunderstanding

Duku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2007, 1:26 am

in my case no. AS seems to run in the family...

NB: an AS parent, if not contolling his outbursts, may endup like an unexploded grenade waiting for someone to remove the pin...

rachiee_face90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2007, 11:35 am

mouapp wrote:
the sheer quantity of the things my mum (or my step dad) cant understand is quite astounding how much of it is AS is not really clear

rachiee_face90 are you sure your mum is trying to make you feel less than a human being? ........ ive thought a couple times that the aforementioned where majorly f***ing with me and it just turned out to be a misunderstanding

I've discovered she is emotionally abusive. One moment she will be like, "Give me a kiss before you leave for school," and the next she'll be screaming in my face and calling me curse words left and right and saying I should watch out when I sleep and so on. 8O She's been through so much in her life, that she's become very sour and bitter about many things.
I feel sorry for her.

But there's no way around it until I turn 18. Which is almost a year exactly. So..... :?

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2007, 7:54 am

rachiee_face90 wrote:
I've discovered she is emotionally abusive. One moment she will be like, "Give me a kiss before you leave for school," and the next she'll be screaming in my face and calling me curse words left and right and saying I should watch out when I sleep and so on. 8O She's been through so much in her life, that she's become very sour and bitter about many things.
I feel sorry for her.

But there's no way around it until I turn 18. Which is almost a year exactly. So..... :?

good luck to both of you ......... and i share your dream for independent living

but keep in mind its most likely that her abuse isnt some calculated attempt to destroy you(sorry to push the point but many of us are prone to paranoia and it seemed like thats what you where thinking in your first post)

rachiee_face90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Sep 2007, 11:16 am

mouapp wrote:
but keep in mind its most likely that her abuse isnt some calculated attempt to destroy you(sorry to push the point but many of us are prone to paranoia and it seemed like thats what you where thinking in your first post)

i did not know that. heh.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 4:42 pm

I live with my OC mom & my egomaniac older sister, both NTs, who really don't care about my AS, yet act ashamed of me in public & private whenever I talk about anything AS or autism-related.

thief
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2007, 9:15 pm

My mum tries to hide it, but she's obviously really disappointed. Her parents are really conserved and I know she's ashamed. My dad is good, I think he's somewhere on the spectrum himself.

But after reading that, I feel so lucky. I wish I could do something for you. I feel so useless when I hear these things.

rachiee_face90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2007, 11:45 pm

thief wrote:

But after reading that, I feel so lucky. I wish I could do something for you. I feel so useless when I hear these things.

Well it sucks, but you get used to it after a while because it is the norm. It's hard to explain.

You feel lucky because of me? Thanks. Glad I could assist you. :roll:

sassyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2007, 12:31 pm

my parents never heard of the term before. I tried to educate them by giving materials for them to read, but they refused to and criticizw me for adopting weird thoughts

Strangegem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2007, 1:45 pm

My parents have so many problems of their own they really can't learn or understand any more about my condition. I can actually communicate clearly with other people, but mom just doesn't get it when I explain. And she can't stand the sound of my voice sometimes, so she refuses to listen when I correct her, like after she says something about me or aspergers that is totally wrong. She thinks all my problems stem from black and white thinking and "wanting everything to be [my] way". If I do try to correct her nicely, she calls it arguing and leaves, and refuses to talk about the issue at all.
Dad is oblivious. he couldn't care less that I have issues with some things, when I'm with him it's his way or the highway. I can't live like that, so I'm worried about how we're going to get along in the future.

JustSteph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2007, 1:17 pm

i havn't even told them
I've tried talking to my mum on several occasions but i'm either:
making it up
being a drama queen
attention seeking

my step-dad wouldn't understand if it smacked him full force in the face

and for all my dad knows i could be dead