Peter Davidson 1982-1984 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Colin Baker 1984-1986 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sylvester McCoy 1987-1989 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 12:13 pm

Am I the only one that likes William Hartnell?, guess its because Iam so old but though Patrick Troughton was ok, it got a bit silly after that, with funny clothes and a clowns car, bit like lost in Space that started off serious and turned into a comedy.

I think the grainyness of black and white TV also added to the air of alien mystery and suspense.

First film I ever saw at the pictures in 1964, all us kids from the childrens home got in the Thames Trader minibus, licking the windows in our excitment until we got top see Doctor Who and the Daleks, the one with the Thals on thier home planet.

HurricaneRae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2007, 6:58 am

Nambo: I like William Hartnell. He's not my favorite, but I do like him as the doctor.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 7:03 am

I'm surprised no-one put down Colin Baker. Despite his short reign as the Doctor, some of his stories were quite good, like Vengeance on Varos, Mark of the Rani.....

On sabbatical...

HurricaneRae

20 Sep 2007, 7:51 am

I liked Colin Baker alot, but again, not my favorite. In general, I think alot of people didn't like him much. They thought he was too "mean" or the like. I always thought of him as the internally tortured Doctor. The show explained that he was unstable because of the difficult regeneration. I thought he had alot of good episodes. I especially liked the "Trial of the Timelord" series.

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2007, 1:05 pm

I'm American so I haven't been that exposed to Doctor Who. Of what I've seen I like Patrick Troughton the best, although his companions make me cringe a bit, especially the female one (Victoria?).

I have a question that maybe some of you better acquianted with Whodom can answer: why has been virtually forgotten that Peter Cushing played the Doctor is two movies back in the 60's? Is it because he wasn't part of the TV show, and so not in the "line of regeneration" or whatever you wish to call it? Or is it the Tom Baker-era, which seems to be to most popular and most iconic, overshadows the Doctors of the 60's in many people's minds?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 6:53 pm

AspieMartian wrote:
I'm American so I haven't been that exposed to Doctor Who. Of what I've seen I like Patrick Troughton the best, although his companions make me cringe a bit, especially the female one (Victoria?).

I have a question that maybe some of you better acquianted with Whodom can answer: why has been virtually forgotten that Peter Cushing played the Doctor is two movies back in the 60's? Is it because he wasn't part of the TV show, and so not in the "line of regeneration" or whatever you wish to call it? Or is it the Tom Baker-era, which seems to be to most popular and most iconic, overshadows the Doctors of the 60's in many people's minds?

It's because he wasn't canonical. Simple.

On sabbatical...

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2007, 8:15 pm

[quote="Quatermass")
It's because he wasn't canonical. Simple.[/quote]

Oh, so sorry to waste your time. I was kind of hoping for a more honest and thoughtful answer. I hate getting "non-answers" like this one, but whatever.

Revisionist fandom. Just one more reason to dislike Doctor Who fans.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 8:36 pm

AspieMartian wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
It's because he wasn't canonical. Simple.

Oh, so sorry to waste your time. I was kind of hoping for a more honest and thoughtful answer. I hate getting "non-answers" like this one, but whatever.

Revisionist fandom. Just one more reason to dislike Doctor Who fans.

The movies aren't considered canon in relation to the TV shows. I enjoyed the movies, I actually watched them and enjoyed them, but they aren't considered part of normal Doctor Who continuity. It's nice to see Peter Cushing do something other than a creepy character from Hammer Horror.

On sabbatical...

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:20 am

I have got The Key To Time DVD box set now it is very watch the first story The Ribos Operation and I now need to see the final part of The Pirate Planet. The boxset is interesting it is shaped as the Key To Time and it opens up in three.