www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2007, 6:59 am

This is for Lautbiru:

Have you attended enough universities to know that they are all "bad?" Maybe you just need to find a better program at another school.

abstrusemortal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2007, 1:41 pm

Lautbiru wrote:
From my experience after attending 8 of the planned 10 semesters for my course, I can safely conclude that college 'education' is nothing more than a waste of time, money and patience.

The insane amount of money I had to fork in for each subject does not translate fairly to the knowledge that I get. I learn a lot more by studying alone and in solitude under the same period of time - without spending any money!

Attending lectures is a waste of time. The lecturers do nothing but recite the notes in a different tone. I can read through the 2 hour lecture material in 10 minutes under full concentration, but I can only pay attention for the first 15 minutes of the lecture and then doze off doing something else. I guess that it's due to me having AADD, but I noticed that MOST of the students are doing the same as I do.

Lecturers are arrogant and narrow-minded people with an imperfect comprehension of their own subjects. They love to irritate my by encouraging me to ask questions, and throw ridicules like "What year you think you are now?" or "How old are you, really?" when I do ask them questions. They ALWAYS claim to be 'experts' on that subject - - especially that particular as*hole marketing lecturer. But really, why didn't I see him filled with $$$es if he truly know what he teaches?What I think is that "Those who can, do...but those who can't, teach".

Their course materials are anything but sufficient. The lecture notes always have grammatical errors and random copy-pastes from various books that makes comprehension difficult. The only use of these lecture 'notes' and 'handouts' for me is the important keywords it contain. I learn by taking the keywords and then research it on the Internet or at the library. But even without the lecture notes I still can find the keywords on my own anyway.

My no.1 hatred of the system is the marking system. Answers are not evaluated on basis of factual correctness, but on the marker's satisfaction. Yeah, you heard all this nonsense about "not interested in the answers but in how you answer it " or "displaying maturity in writing" or "showing aptitude for the subject". What in actually practice happens is that no matter what you write you will always had marks deducted even though what you wrote is correct. They will always find some excuses not to give you marks, even the silliest ones like spelling errors or lack of pictures (fortunately they can't do that in Math papers lol).

As expected the lecturers always give their own answers full marks during tutorial, even though by close inspection my answers turned out to be more straight-to-the-point, easier to read, more grammatically correct and more concise than theirs. Bloody hypocrites. No wait...hypocrisy is not the best term to describe them. Pseudo-intelligent is more like it.

I have already witnessed the by-products of this so-called "excellent" education system. The graduates are extremely incompetent and unoriginal - even the first-class degree holders. There are some that have excellent working skills - but that is the exception, not the norm - and besides, they usually don't have good grades in their degrees.

I laughed at those so-called successful graduates who got A in marketing. They must be thinking that they would pwn the marketing world with their oh-so-high mastery of the subject. They didn't know that the main problem with applying what college teaches them (aka the "right thing") is that so is everyone else. Pity for them that college never prepares them to deal with the situation where everybody does exactly the same thing. One of the highest demands by the employers is the ability to think out of the box - to dare try out 'wrong' strategies that no one else has tried before. But really, since college punishes anyone that doesn't conform to the lecturers - who in turn are afraid to think differently because of the previous lecturers who taught them - how can they develop the skills nessesary to think differently?

Those I have decided not to focus on college any more. I am going to learn by my own. I will not pursue any more degrees after this. I might even drop immediately when I have a steady part-time job. I will consider other options like online degrees and such, but I am not going to college.

College is for those stupid hypocrites who actually enjoy living under the shadow of inferior individuals and trapping themselves in a never-ending circle of failure (not to mention never ending volumes of debt). An Aspie like me deserves better.

The bulk of my knowledge has always been derived from self study, thus it is logical for me to focus on what I do best.

I agree.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 10:11 pm

I've found that going to college was a waste of time, for me. I should have gone straight into the workforce, after I've graduated from High School.

nonicknamedamnit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2007, 9:22 am

I have fought this,girl and woman, for half a century...I have finally decided school is like the rest of my life...I approximate their normalcy for as long as it takes to get what I want from Them ( the paper, the street cred, the whatever) so I can go back to my real world and peace. In my domain, I study what delights me as intensely or as lackadaisically as I care to, for my own enjoyment. I don't have to explain, defend or prove any of my "stuff" to any of them. I can vomit back what they need to hear for the least amount of grief. I absolutely can't do it in relationships with people ( " You're so cold...you never...you always blah,blah". I suck at it, which I ALWAYS point out and then get criticized for sucking at it. So unfair! I TOLD YOU!) School is so much easier; nobody goes on and on about it. It is a key. The secret is passing... 8O