How Would The World Be Different if Autism Was Eliminated?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 9:09 am

People would be too busy chatting it up and practicing their social games on each other to get any work or research done.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 6:35 pm

I think they would just have parties. Everyday make up some reason to have another party.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 1:03 am

MerryBerry wrote:
I think it would be a bad thing. Diversity is good.

Anyone read 'This Perfect Day' by Ira Levin? A predicitable, boring world where everyone's the same. It would probably be like that.

I'm thinking of Pleasantville but without the conflict.

OA_
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2007, 2:52 pm

Being NT, albeit a skewed one :P

I think the world would be a sadder, less diverse and magical place if Autism and all the susequent spectrum was erradicated.

Peace 8)

OA_
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2007, 3:04 pm

OA_ wrote:
Being NT, albeit a skewed one :P

I think the world would be a sadder, less diverse and magical place if Autism and all the susequent spectrum was erradicated.

Peace 8)

urm, thought I should clarify something - I meant not only less diverse but 'less' magical too.

plain awful 8)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 6:55 pm

Ever hear of that Yank movie "Idiotocracy"?

It's the future, and everybody's so stupid it's disgusting. It would be a world concerned only with appearance, and shallowness, and surface looks.

In short, hell.

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2007, 8:41 pm

No one left for NTs to bull?

Seriously, it would damper creativity and no one would be left to open they eyes of an NT and give them another perspective for thought.

Everyone needs eachother.

soulmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2007, 9:57 pm

No one with aspergers, it sure would be a boring place, this old earth.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2007, 11:19 pm

Even ignoring all the benefits of having people on the AS band of the spectrum, if the human race ever got rid of us, you can guarantee that in the next few days a cataclysm would hit the Earth that ironically, only the Aspies would survive.

It's like if we got rid of Downs Syndrome, we'd suddenly be hit by a plague that only those with the chromosomal anomaly that results in the syndrome are immune to.

Diversity is essential to survival. The Nazi's never really got that one.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 11:55 pm

Without autism there would be plenty of other things to try to cure. Mental retardation, ADD/ADHD, Tourette's, schizophrenia, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, being psychotic or sociopathic - all of these would be enough to keep the world interesting. No mental institutions would be harmed in the making of an autism cure. :)

People with extreme autism would benefit from being able to look after themselves instead of having to count on someone else. People with less extreme autism would find it easier to fit in, make friends and find emotional support. Not all nerds have AS, so bullies would still have plenty to eat.

Research and development would not be affected that much. I agree that genius is not restricted to the spectrum. Without the hyperfocusing, some hard science would be less developed. It's impossible to predict how much longer research would take or how big of a difference it would make in the meantime.

In all, science would see fewer quantum leaps, but how many fewer is not knowable. Maybe one of them would be the big one that saves mankind, and maybe not.

We're here because some of us are needed for specific things. Who and for what is a mystery. One thing, though - there will be a cure when we're no longer needed. Enjoy the time left afterward because it will be short.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

A chinese curse was " May you live in interesting times".
Perhaps we would still be hunter-gathering in the wild if there hadn't been any aspies etc.
Perhaps there'd be no pollution, no noise, no rush, no clocks, no nuclear bomb. Perhaps we'd still be carrying our children around in our arms and breastfeeding till two years old or later. Perhaps there'd be no school, and no square buildings, just cave paintings and those amazing flint heads , refined over tens of thousands of years.
Maybe we'd still live in groups of 10 to 50 people. And follow the seasons.
Maybe we'd sleep under the stars. Maybe children wouldn't cry so much . ( it isn't normal!!)
Maybe the world and human society would have been a much better place without the outcast, odd one out, misfitting, solitude seeking,and obsessive interests of aspies and autists.

:?: :( :?: ..................... 8)

After all what kind of person is it that makes places welcoming and supportive, warm and inviting, stable and relaxed? Who helps to unify a group?
But I wouldn't be surprised if aspie/autie behaviour turned out to have been a major factor in humans overrunning the planet!! !! !

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 9:04 pm

Imagine France prior to the Revolution. Everything you do is controlled by a petty bureaucrat, everybody is concerned only with looking good. Conversation centers around only what the celebrities are doing and wearing. Everything is gloss, and surface appearance. The highest aspiration is to be a friend or lover of a celebrity. Your entire day is spent in gossip.

OMG, this is starting to sound a little tooooooo familiar ........

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 11:27 pm

thyme wrote:
I think they would just have parties. Everyday make up some reason to have another party.

Now that sounds enticing!

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 11:34 pm

When I worked at a surf camp over the summer for auties and aspies, the only thing I wanted changed in them in all honesty was anything that would cause them pain. Like one child had a meltdown because of a leaf blower that was on several yards away from us. He started yelling, crying and running. That type of stuff saddens me. Otherwise, I'm with you Soulmate.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Oct 2007, 8:46 pm

A world without Aspies and Auties? Perish the thought!