Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mamaof4
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2007, 10:58 pm

I have an 8 year old aspie who had severe allergic reactions to his formula as a baby and experienced some allergic reactions to some foods as a toddler . He doesn't seem to have any problems now, but I often wonder if it could be a part of being ultrasensitive to stimuli....I was wondering if any other parent or aspie had a similar experience. Also, we just had another baby in June; I am a little paranoid that he may be ASD, and I'm constantly "looking for signs" according to my hubby. We have two other children that are not ASD, so I shouldn't be so paranoid. But I see certain similarities sometimes...constant changing of formula, screaming and crying, not wanting me to pacify him, not able to pacify himself. (He was a preemie, and others have told me similar things about their preemies). My aspie asked me after the baby was born if the baby would be an aspie too...I said we wouldn't know for a while. He got a sad look on his face and said, "Oh, I wanted him to be like me." I love that my aspie loves who he is :D

cjpzjmomof5
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 10:55 am

When my son was 3 or 4 months old, I decided to feed him on demand instead of on a schedule. He went all day without eating because he never cried. After that, I went back to a strict schedule, and he became a very fat baby. Shortly after he learned to crawl (8 to 9 months) he started arranging our movies by color. When he played with wooden blocks, he set half of them aside (all of the red and green ones) and only played with the yellow and blue ones. They were all faced with the same color face up and he put them in rows. He also liked to arrange his matchbox cars in rows...almost like a big parking lot. He never was hungry or thirsty. He never complained of ear aches or anything. The only way we knew he was sick is if he was wheezing or had a high enough fever that we noticed on our own without him giving us any reason to check. If we do not have 4 things on his plate for supper, he doesn't think he had supper. When he was an infant, he used to rub his head when he was tired. Then he evolved into rubbing his head and singing "the sleepy song" (a constant humming sound). When he got a little older that developed into a rock. Even now, at 9, he will rock if he is laying down on the floor watching tv or in bed. When he had floor time in school (I think that ended after 1st grade) he would rock there. Until about the age of 3, he didn't socialize with anyone...not even me. He NEVER enjoyed being cuddled. Even as an infant, he wanted to be held in the upright position, like he was standind. We just thought he was curious and wanted to look around. When he was 3, we had him tested for autism. They said he was socially immature. They told us to bring him around other kids as much as we could (he was already around other kids all the time). He wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until he was 8. When he was tested at 3, his vocabulary was advanced for his age. IF I could get him to play along, he could repeat any word after me accurately, but wouldn't have a conversation. Right after I had him tested, he started talking more, but never liked to socialize much. At 3, he could tell me all about how a catipillar bacame a butterfly using all of the scientific words (not sure where he heard them). His kindergarden teacher was the first one to mention Asperger's...I had never heard of it before.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Oct 2007, 11:12 am

My first born is mostly NT, and one of the joys i had with her, is that she just loved to be cuddled.

My boy is aspy, and I very much looked forward to cuddling with him, but he hated it. As soon as he could sit up,
he loved to sit and build things. Konnex, Legos, wooden blocks ....

He liked to play alone.

I am not making any blanket statistical based statements here.
This is what I observed with my two children.

cjpzjmomof5
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 11:19 am

EvilTeach wrote:
My first born is mostly NT, and one of the joys i had with her, is that she just loved to be cuddled.

My boy is aspy, and I very much looked forward to cuddling with him, but he hated it. As soon as he could sit up,
he loved to sit and build things. Konnex, Legos, wooden blocks ....

He liked to play alone.

I am not making any blanket statistical based statements here.
This is what I observed with my two children.

This is what I have observed with my children as well. I have 3 NT children, and my one son who is an aspie. They are very different.