hometown story on AS in the classroom

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2005, 10:42 pm

Here is a story my local NBC affiliate did on asperger's students in the classroom and how not enough is being done to accomidate these students who live in the area. I must admit, I was a little dissapointed in the coverage as I felt it was too vague. I would have liked to have heard what it was the teachers were doing that made the AS students uncomfortable. Here is the link if you want to read it.

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=3639082

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 9:15 am

I really think public schools should do more to help. Many families with autistic children cannot afford a private school and cannot homeschool their children either for various reasons. I think that then it becomes up to the local schools to help these children.

A few months ago, there was an article in my local paper about a school district forming a special class for autistic kindergarteners, which is heading in the right direction but still not good enough.

Many autistic children (including aspies) are extremely bright, only they cannot communicate their intelligence to others. I had a friend in elementary school like this. Absolutely brilliant student, mathmatically/scientifically inclined, extremely quiet, but the teacher didn't think he was very smart. We lost contact with each other several years ago, so I'm not sure if he was an aspie or if he was one of the radical NT geeks.

I guess my point here is that people have many different learning styles, especially austistic children. It's up to the teacher to help these kids learn - or to find someone else to work with them.

aaronkt wrote:
I was a little dissapointed in the coverage as I felt it was too vague. I would have liked to have heard what it was the teachers were doing that made the AS students uncomfortable.

Maybe you could write to the newspaper and ask them if they'd be willing to do a follow-up story or ask them if they'd post a link online if there was more information or details they left out.