Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Are you interested in seeing this thread started?
Poll ended at 15 Sep 2008, 7:56 pm
Yes 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 7:56 pm

What is the 'Cultural Swap Meet'?

Well, let me explain.
I have noticed several things that occur at online forums like this one, one of which is an awful lot of misunderstandings and abusiveness. It is my considered opinion that this often seems to be based on peoples lack of knowledge about each other as parts of a 'culture'. I am not talking about religion or politics, no, I am talking about actual real 'culture' those traits that communities share, the individual things that make up or define 'national character' or 'culture.

Does anybody have an interest in setting up a sticky thread where people can come and [without fear of attack or critique] share things, make statements, tell stories etc that they think may enhance other peoples understanding of them and perhaps also themselves? I envisage an ongoing 'sticky' thread.

I think it would be important to have a set of ground rules that spell out what would and wouldn't be acceptable as far as behaviour goes, however I am asking what people think, not stating a mission here, ok.

I think that an all ages exchange of knowledge of each other is one of the primary reasons I find the internet an interesting place to come, however I find the ignorance and aggression shown at times as intimidating and depressing as operating in the 'real world' and I would hope a bunch of intelligent misfits [like AS peoples are] could transcend that.

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 2:59 pm

67 views but only three votes? is no-one interested in anyone else and what makes them tick?
If I am tripping here could someone at least tell me, c'mon a little feedback, please...
peace j

Have a great day!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 5:09 pm

I agree with you, RH. I think the best way to go about changing the people who adamantly, sometimes violently and forcefully and disdainfully disagree with us is to just debate, and let them know you're not against them or their opinions, you just want to get to know more where they're coming from, because you're curious and honestly care about them.

At least that's what I'd do.

Or what I think I'd do.

Or what I hope I'd do. :D

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 9:07 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
67 views but only three votes? is no-one interested in anyone else and what makes them tick?
If I am tripping here could someone at least tell me, c'mon a little feedback, please...
peace j

What do you EXPECT from aspies? :P

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

18 Sep 2007, 9:16 pm

calandale wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
peace j

What do you EXPECT from aspies? :P

Yes. To be honest, I don't really understand what's being asked.

You want my recipe for Irish Soda Bread? :)

I haven't noticed many misunderstandings over cultural differences here. Most misunderstandings are due to short tempers, in my opinion.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 9:30 pm

If you think your recipe for Irish Soda bread gives me some insight into how you think then bring it on!

Ok, as for clarification/example...

I live in NZ, it is part of Polynesia even though it was an English colony. We are a secular society and as a people believe in people keeping their religion to themselves [for the most part]. We are a people who believe in consensus and the greater good, believing in an egalitarian ideal.
I grew up in a racially and culturally diverse environment so for me a lot of Maori and other Polynesian cultural attributes have combined with my Irish Catholic upbringing to shape the way I think and communicate. I believe that debate should be civil and each voice heard and understood until everyone has come to accept a middle point as being the best outcome. I guess you would say that we believe in common sense prevailing rather than ideology.
These things are not universal here, just kind of general influences on how we are evolving as a nation of people.
Does that make it easier?

It was just an idea really, too often people jump off on one when it really came down to different communication styles and interpretation of words and phrases and leaping to the wrong conclusions. And I wasn't talking about only this forum but the internet in general.
peace j

Have a great day!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 2:54 pm

I think this is a good idea.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!