Anyone here adopted? Want to share stories?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 2:52 am

I used the google search thing and didn't see any posts like this.

I was also going to put this in the member's only forum... do you think it should still be there?
If so, can this be moved?

Anyway,

My adoption was arranged before I popped out of the womb.
My b-mom is British, b-dad American Air Force.
My adopted parents - both American (dad was Air Force also)

I have all the letters they exchanged pre and post adoption. I've had them for a long time, read them as a kid, so I've always known the story.

bMom was pregnant, bDad nowhere around. bMom had a new boyfriend (another American Air Force guy... any wonder I joined the Army instead! :evil: ) who told her basically, "Its the baby or me! Take your pick!".
bMom says in her letters that she knew she could never give me the life I deserved, being a single Mom in England.

I was born in Portsmouth, England in 1960 (this really makes me sound much older than I am :wink: ), adopted to an American family.

A few years later that family was broken up by divorce.

Since then, I have adopted my own family from people I've met and loved every bit as much as my court-adopted family (who I do still love).

I have always wanted to find my bMom, but I have never felt 'worthy' enough to meet her if I did.
I want her to be proud of her son and with my self-esteem sitting on empty for most of my life I just couldn't see how she would like me in person.

Today, things have changed.
I have taken some initial steps to find her. I know that she moved with her new husband to the States, Demopolis, Alabama.
Then reportedly back to England.

My daughter has always wanted me to find my bMom.
Hopefully I will before one of us dies... me or my bMom.

Anyone else?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 8:20 am

My baby sister was adopted. I wasn't very happy about it. Fortunately, it forced me to unlearn my prejudice.

- Emerson

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 10:11 am

MrMark wrote:
My baby sister was adopted. I wasn't very happy about it. Fortunately, it forced me to unlearn my prejudice.

Hope you don't mind, but how old were you?

I have a sister and a niece who put up several kids each for adoption between them.
I think in most of these, the kids were around 4 & 6 years old. One might have been a baby.

The niece had a son and daughter who were around these ages when she put them up for adoption.
This was an 'open adoption' and she kept in contact with the family and kids.
Problem was, when the kids got to Georgia and their new family, the Mom & Dad decided to change the kid's first names.
I heard the boy went around for a while asking where Dillon was (his birth name).
Really messed with him.
I no longer have contact with that niece (I think she's had two more kids :roll: ), so I don't know how the boy is doing.
His sister was young enough to get through it alright, or so it was said.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 10:29 am

I was adopted by my Birth Mother!
How often does that happen!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 10:45 am

wsmac wrote:
MrMark wrote:

Hope you don't mind, but how old were you?

I have a sister and a niece who put up several kids each for adoption between them.
I think in most of these, the kids were around 4 & 6 years old. One might have been a baby.

The niece had a son and daughter who were around these ages when she put them up for adoption.
This was an 'open adoption' and she kept in contact with the family and kids.
Problem was, when the kids got to Georgia and their new family, the Mom & Dad decided to change the kid's first names.
I heard the boy went around for a while asking where Dillon was (his birth name).
Really messed with him.
I no longer have contact with that niece (I think she's had two more kids :roll: ), so I don't know how the boy is doing.
His sister was young enough to get through it alright, or so it was said.

I'm 12 years older than she is, but the process began 2 years before she was born.

- Emerson

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 4:44 pm

I'm adopted, the adoption officially went through at the age of 10 (I have an adoption certificate from that age) but in fact I was with my adoptive parents since two years before that. People keep asking about my biological family, maybe because I have not seen them for 20+ years and am never likely to again.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 4:51 pm

Yeah, I was one of those teen pregnancies. Lessee, born to a 16 & 18 year old. Then 3 months later adopted by two 33 year olds. But I do have an older non-adopted sister. An interesting experience, but an improvement over being aborted, as often happens with the teen pregnancies. So you can tell where my position on the issue comes from.