High tolerance for pain\discomfort in AS?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 10:34 am

I was going to comment awhile back that my 16 year old son was also chronically constipated until he was 12 years old. At that time, a pediatrician (the 3rd one we'd seen) realized that my son didn't like using public toilets or bathrooms at school or friends' houses. He would just hold it for as long as necessary.
Apparently after doing this for so long, his body had lost it's ability to send the message when he had to have a bowel movement. I put him on a high fiber diet and had to make sure that he went to the washroom in the morning and in the evening to re-train his body to work as it was supposed to. After we did that and managed to convince him that using other washrooms besides those at home was okay, he was fine and hasn't had a problem since.
Good luck!

Lauri

doby
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Sep 2007, 5:30 am

My son is very sensitive to pain. The littlest thing and he's screaming.

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2007, 10:06 am

thanks blessedmom for the bathroom advice. I'll have to get an alarm clock and set it for times to remind him to go to the bathroom. My memory of any kind for tasks is totally shot.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 4:25 am

I'm aspie and 2 of my 4 children are also. One of those 2 has a very high pain threshold, like me.

It's not a good thing. It sounds like it might be at first "I have a very high pain threshold" sounds like "I'm Superman!" but what it means is I'm not in tune with those normal signals everyone else gets.

I tend to not put on enough clothing when it's cold. Or not recognize when something is critically wrong. This has landed me in the hospital for a kidney stone (by the time I admitted I should probably go the entire kidney was shut down and blocked by a huge stone). and at the dentist with an infected tooth that he exclaimed over and over was the worst he'd ever seen. What I'm saying is that in each case I should have sought help much sooner but didn't.

I gave birth 4 times, once in the hospital and 3 times at home. We had a midwife set to come to the first at home birth but she was late so just my husband and I were there and it went wonderfully. Every time he sees a woman in labor on tv or in a movie he tells the kids - your mom didn't do any of that. She never cried or yelled or anything, just had you.

He considers that such a badge of honor and I guess it is, but it's also a symptom of being wired really differently.

It's a blessing..... and a curse. :)

chriscross1966
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2007, 5:48 pm

It can be useful, I got up from a motorcycle crash on a broken ankle and got the wreck out of the road, when I was 9 I crawled 50 yards with a broken leg to get help having fallen out of a tree, when I was 15 I had a running accident on gravel and ripped all the skin off my knees and shins, completed the race and then turned up for gym class a week later having taken the bandages off the night before... upshot of that last one was the gym teacher changed his view of me from "waste of space" to "not really any good but brave as hell", which was useful.....

The daily game of "Name that Bruise" isn't so much fun though.

Chris C

This is a link to a picture of my lighting rig in action

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 6:56 pm

when I'm ill I won't say anything until i literally can't stand it.

However, when it comes to bumps and scratches I seem to have a very low tolerance, but I think thats largely because I've went years without really being bumped or scratched so I became desensitized to the feel of them

cjpzjmomof5
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2007, 7:40 pm

crzymom wrote:
I just wondered if anyone else has a child (or themselves) that has a high tolerance for pain? My 13 yo AS son rarely complains of not feeling well. He'll wait until the last 10 seconds before he pukes before he'll say anything. He's also been cronically constipated for a lot of his life (after toilet training) because I guess the discomfort of being constipated either doesn't bother him, or he just doesn't say anything. Same goes for sore throats and stuff like that.
Is this a common trait for Aspies?

My son and I both have a very high pain tolerance. I never know if he is sick unless he has a very high fever, or other visible or audible symptoms. He flinches at soft touches though. I have heard that this is fairly common.

cjpzjmomof5
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2007, 10:56 am

I also gave birth witout pain killers. I was laughing and joking with the Dr. while she was telling me to push. She couldn't believe I was joking around while in the pushing phase. When I was in labor, I called the nurse in to check my progress because I knew it was time for me to start pushing. She told me no, to call her back when I was ready to be more serious...there was no way I was ready to push with the way I was laughing and joking around with my family.

I HATE the dentist. I didn't go for about 7 years after I got married. When I did finally go (on valium), the dentist told me I needed 7 teeth pulled and that I should be in pain from them constantly. I rarely ever feel any pain in my teeth, and still have the 7 teeth 3 years later.

Niether my son nor I ever feel hungry or thirsty. I am constantly dehydrated. When everyone else in the house asks for food or drinks, it reminds us to eat and drink. I have everyone on a schedule though, so we atleast eat and drink at the "proper" times.

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2007, 11:12 pm

I rarely get sick but when I did unlike my younger fragile x brother, my parents didn't notice. Right before a car trip, I stuck my hand in my bookbag and the compass went through the "oyster" web between my thumb and index finger. I had a muscular web from scrubbing bathroom tile at an early age. I looked at that metal thing through my hand and I thought about my parents
reaction and I pulled the skewer out of me and grabbed a towel and got into the back seat without saying a word to either of them. When we arrived at our destination. I walked into a doctor's office and paid $35 for a tetanus shot. Since I handled it, my parents didn't have the chance to harangue me at the early stage of the post wounding. They had no reaction when I told them that I had just returned from the doctor's. The first time I had instant noodles. I got sick for three days - violently so and my parents didn't seem to notice. I just took care of myself in the bathroom and was really out of commission with a burning fever and cold sweats but it was summer and there was no school and they had no idea I was sick. I also mentally understand that I took some pretty bad beatings but I don't seem to get it emotionally. My aspie father's beatings from his aspie mom sounded like very emotional experiences whereas my beatings were accompanied by equally harrowing verbal abuse and yet I managed to keep the special vocabulary and cuss words she used from infiltrating my life so yes, without fanfare I seem to have had a high threshold for pain yet ill fitting socks annoy me. I think there are at least two opposite kinds of aspies and while both may be socially awkward, one is emotionally hungry and the other may be more of a self sustaining emotional camel. I don't find my chill state to be monstrous. It feels natural to me.

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2007, 11:18 pm

I can also hold my pee for overnight or two hours in a jouncing car. I didn't tell my mother I had to pee because she had gotten lost on the road and she tends to explode if she feels you are adding to her existing burden so I try to minimize her excuses to talk. I was seven then. But afterwards I didn't tell her I had to pee in the car until we were near a public restroom and then I would say stop the car because she is not the kind of parent who goes out and gets her kids what they need right away. if you need to be on time or are already late for something, my mother will return to the house at least once to change her outfit or if she is on her way to you will make an hour long pit stop in a supermarket or a takeout restaurant after you call her to see how far away she is from the house. I have seen her do this to my fragile x brother where she will inexplicably start reading a magazine while he is waiting for her to drive him somewhere.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 2:03 pm

I feel most types of pain normally, I think. But I've always wondered at people who are wearing wrist braces and back braces and taking pain pills and stuff... I have carpal tunnel and a bad back and shoulder too, and I've never bothered much about it. I've gotten up and walked around with sprained ankles, pulled needles out of my feet. It hurts, just not enough to bother me, I guess. Sometimes I really don't feel pain at all though; if I cut myself on a sharp blade or a piece of glass, chances are I won't notice. Super-hot water doesn't bother me either. I used to have some fairly self-destructive stims, because some pain actually felt good.

I depends where the pain is, too. If my mouth hurts, I really feel it. Internal pain, like stomaches, I definitely feel. But in general I'd say I have a very high pain tolerance. I don't like to be touched most of the time, though, and certain light touches can feel- not painful exactly, but like the tactile equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 2:35 pm

I have a very high tolerance to pain.

imok2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2007, 2:48 pm

Being clumsy, a high tolerance can be a blessing!! !

Long term pain will eventually wear on me. A bad injury will hurt some (broken bone/replaced bone/tendon repairs), but in time I’ll get snippy, quiet, or nauseous before I or Mom realizes that it’s bothering me.

I too forget to drink. Dehydration headaches are bad news!! ! It’s the only time I seem to remember to drink, though.

Ohhh!! Don’t get me started on dentists and ill-fitting socks!! ! Those are terrible things!