Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2007, 3:09 pm

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/,ra2l1/panor ... 32/133185/

A 12-year old Saudi Arabian boy is going to be beheaded if his mother can't pay 3 million Ryials in blood money.

They boy accidentally killed another boy during a dispute.

Therefore he now sits in a death watch cell, and can do nothing but wait for his mother to collect the money needed for the family to accept letting him go.

If she can't, the boy will be executed.

It is hard for the mother to collect these money, and right now she only has about 250.000 Riyals.

The victim's family has given the mother 3 years to find the 3 million blood money.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 3:21 pm

That is absolutely disgusting.

Kids that young should not be executed at all. I'd think that the shame would be enough for a kid that age. If he did it intentionally, then a 1 year prison sentence would sort him out. His life is ruined anyway.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

18 Sep 2007, 3:41 pm

Manslaughter should not be punishable by death and a person should not beable to buy their way out of reasonable punishment either. I guess Islamic law follows the Golden rule to, "Them with the gold rules."

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 8:40 pm

This is disgusting.
The death sentence is disgusting.
A society that resorts to murder is admitting it's own failure IMO.
peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 9:05 pm

Life is punishable by death.
Don't see a problem here.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 9:29 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Manslaughter should not be punishable by death and a person should not beable to buy their way out of reasonable punishment either. I guess Islamic law follows the Golden rule to, "Them with the gold rules."

Actually, if you read the old testament, there's plenty of this in there. I've read it. Of course, some folks say the old testament isn't really relevant today ... I guess that's so they don't have to live with the fact that if they say the 'believe' the bible, they don't have to feel guilty or like a hypocrite for not following it. :D

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 6:40 am

Its the Islamic way...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 7:01 am

It would be nice if you posted a link that was in English.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 7:35 am

Tequila wrote:
It would be nice if you posted a link that was in English.

His translation is correct I think, from my limited knowledge of German.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 9:11 am

It sounds as bad (or maybe worse) than Texas.

In 2002, the US Supreme Court declared that the execution of mentally ret*d citizens was prohibited under the Eighth Amendment as “cruel and unusual punishment.” After then Governor George Bush had already signed approval for the execution of a number of ret*d individuals that lacked the mental capacity to understand their actions.

Texas has also executed people for crimes they committed before turning 18, which is prohibited under international law.

Quote:

International law prohibits the use of the death penalty for crimes committed by people younger than 18, yet some countries continue to execute child offenders. Executions of child offenders flout international law.

Over 70 child offenders are currently under sentence of death in the USA.The federal government and 16 of the 38 US states whose laws retain the death penalty exclude its use against child offenders. However, three states - Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia - have executed child offenders since 2000.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Sep 2007, 9:32 am

monty wrote:
Texas has also executed people for crimes they committed before turning 18, which is prohibited under international law.

First degree murder though.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 10:42 am

True - they were convicted of first degree murder. But if someone lacks the mental capacity because they are ret*d, or they are young and immature, or they are 'insane' because they have a brain malfunction, I would disagree with the jury that called it first degree murder. When a rational adult plans and commits a murder, I would call first degree. Other cases, I think are different.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 11:05 am

monty wrote:
True - they were convicted of first degree murder. But if someone lacks the mental capacity because they are ret*d, or they are young and immature, or they are 'insane' because they have a brain malfunction, I would disagree with the jury that called it first degree murder. When a rational adult plans and commits a murder, I would call first degree. Other cases, I think are different.

In your scheme of things there is no such thing as first degree murder. Murder isnt really a rational thing to do, unless its in self defence in one form or another.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 12:51 pm

Hadron wrote:
monty wrote:

In your scheme of things there is no such thing as first degree murder. Murder isnt really a rational thing to do, unless its in self defence in one form or another.

No, not at all. You are confusing moral with rational. People can and do sit down and calculate the risks and benefits of killing someone - and then they make a rational decision. Rational is from the same root as ratio, to divide or calculate. (Insurance Money + Getting Rid of Pain in Ass)/ (Risk of Being Caught) = Do It ... some people think that way.

Of course, such calculation is skewed because it is based on short term, personal risk/benefit. It is a calculation that ignores or denies morality, such as the inherent right of others to live, or the value to all people of a system that respects such rights.

There are cunning, calculating killers - and this is what I consider to be worst, the type that deserves a legal label of first degree. When someone acts in a fit of passion, that is wrong, but is less reprehensible in some ways than a predatory killing. When someone is careless and their actions result in death, that is also wrong, but is usually considered manslaughter and not murder. And I don't consider self defense to be murder at all (and neither does most law) - true self defense is justifiable homicide, which is not a crime in most places.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Sep 2007, 2:13 pm

doesnt the united states sentence kids to death to?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 4:50 pm

Seldom that young.