Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:27 pm

Hi. I'm Mike and I'm an atheist.

I just don't buy the whole "god" thing not to mention all the other religions saying you have to be into god in order to be a good person.

Also, I have a fondness for dark stuff like pentagrams, skulls and that goat skull avatar goatonfire has though I don't believe in the devil either.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:54 pm

High? I'm a bird, and I'm God.

Feel free to worship, or not.
I was wrongly evicted, and
intend on retaking my position.

But, totalitarian ways are not
mine.

Aid in the rebellion will be appreciated,
but will not earn you any special place.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 8:13 pm

digger1 wrote:

I just don't buy the whole "god" thing not to mention all the other religions saying you have to be into god in order to be a good person.

Also, I have a fondness for dark stuff like pentagrams, skulls and that goat skull avatar goatonfire has though I don't believe in the devil either.

atheist = satan worshipper for a certain segment of theistic persons, so you probably won't have to worry either way.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 10:07 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
digger1 wrote:

atheist = satan worshipper for a certain segment of theistic persons, so you probably won't have to worry either way.

hardly. it's no belief in any deity whether it's god, satan, mohommed, christ, apollo or allah.

Buddha doesn't qualify. He's not a figurehead of a religion per se but of a philosophy.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 10:40 pm

You have a rebellion against God.

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2007, 11:07 pm

digger1 wrote:

Hi Mike. I'm an atheist as well. I think belief in God is silly and belittling to our imagination. I did a poll about belief in God in here a long time ago and found out that most of the people who answered the poll here don't believe in God.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... highlight=
So you're hardly alone here.

I'm not sure what you want to talk about here. Do you want to talk about atheism in general? There are plenty of threads about atheism already.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 7:52 am

greenblue wrote:
You have a rebellion against God.

Captain Picard (to Q) wrote:
You are not god!

Nah, you have to believe in god to hold a rebellion against him. Though, if god existed, one would be right to take up arms against him.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:35 am

digger1 wrote:
Nah, you have to believe in god to hold a rebellion against him. Though, if god existed, one would be right to take up arms against him.

No, you merely have to resist him if he exists. Trust me, I know that the conservative Christians do consider you to be rebelling against their God, the world is divided into sin and salvation in their mind. If a deity existed then taking arms against such a being would likely be impossible as most deities are defined as omnipotent or close to that.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:40 am

since I believe he doesn't exist, I'm not rebelling.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:57 am

digger1 wrote:
since I believe he doesn't exist, I'm not rebelling.

No, you are. You may claim whatever you want, but still within the Christian framework, the fact remains that you are not obeying your lord. The divide is very stark in the Christian framework, you are either saved or still bound by sin.

Nafydalgol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2007, 10:01 am

I'm an atheist as well. But to each his own, if someone wants to worship a god then that's his/her choice. Whatever makes one happy. As long as it doesn't deteriorate into bigotry, or worse: fundamentalism.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:02 am

What about an organizing principle or consciousness of the Universe? Do you believe the Earth itself is alive, an evolving super-organism (Gaia hypothesis)? Do you explain human and animal consciousness purely in terms of matter and energy?

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:11 am

Hi, I'm another atheist. my rule with religious peopel is that if they don't try to convert me or tell me how to live then i respect them, avoid the topic of religion and we can get along fine. but if they try to tell me how to live, then their beliefs are fair game, if they don't like it, tough - if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 3:55 pm

digger1 wrote:

Some DO, on the outside chance.