Instances of Theory of Mind issues...

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 10:19 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
how exactly is anyone else but him going to know what he was thinking? that is the most stupidest task ever.

Well the task was to show character and point of view, and how a story can change based on how you present the information.

We also did the same scenario, but with Hitler... :lol: That was even more difficult... :?

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 10:31 am

On the Martin Luther King thing:

I think of it as a historical analysis, not an issue of the mind. Dr. King became famous for leading bus boycotts - blacks were forced into the back, pregnant black women sometimes forced to stand when seats were empty in the white section.

So to have any clue into what MLK would think today, you have to start with the historical changes. Today people can sit anywhere. Some measure of progress has occurred.

Nobody really knows how MLK would react, but we pretend we do because we have heard some of his thoughts before, like his "I have a dream" speech. Does a ride on bus today show that his dream came true?

Maybe kinda sorta. Black people can sit anywhere. Today, it is mostly the poor people that ride a bus, except maybe New York and a few other cities. So anybody can ride the bus, but not everybody does. It has mostly been abandoned by the wealthy, and left for the poor, and service usually sucks.

Last edited by monty on 19 Sep 2007, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 10:31 am

I have significant TOM problems. This leads to my not understanding when I behav eunacceptably - other than in very obvious situaitons. I remember one specific instance which was actually the reason why I got to think of myself as having TOM problems. I was exercising on some exercise machine as th einstructor came up to me and told me I shouldn't go too fast and that a classmate should watch over me. I'm blind, so he was worried that I might fall of f the machine, I later learnt. However, I couldn't understand this and got agitated. This was understood as veyr blunt by the instructor. There are other examples like this, but thi

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 1:58 pm

Pugly wrote:
Ah, yeah I have the same exact problems. Whenever I am asked to do anything remotely creative, I hit a mental block. When I am on my own, I think up creative ideas all the time. But it's not a faucet that I can just turn on.

That's a good way of putting it. I also have trouble being forced to be creative. That's why I'm a science person. I guess science still requires creativity, but it's a different kind than what's required to write a story. I'm also creative when it comes to visual things. I can do art, just not writing.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 2:52 pm

marshall wrote:
That's a good way of putting it. I also have trouble being forced to be creative. That's why I'm a science person. I guess science still requires creativity, but it's a different kind than what's required to write a story. I'm also creative when it comes to visual things. I can do art, just not writing.

Likewise, I'm creative when it comes to musical things. Despite not being that proficient in playing any instrument, I love making melodies and humming a tune (albeit slightly out-of-tune).

Especially when it comes to rhythm... you tell me to tap a beat... I can give you one instantly.

Words wise, I'm better at imagining conversations or what I would like to say to someone; something about filtering it into a sentence is difficult.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.