Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 12:05 pm

That makes sense. At least for short term.

Wouldn't it have to be a day-job/short term thing though? By the time he went though an interview process his travel pass would have expired.

So...any tips on day jobs Ghosty might be interested it?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 1:48 pm

BeeBee wrote:
That makes sense. At least for short term.

Wouldn't it have to be a day-job/short term thing though? By the time he went though an interview process his travel pass would have expired.

So...any tips on day jobs Ghosty might be interested it?

About the only thing that I could suggest that he do right off the bat, is to look for some form of temp employment. He wants to live in Minnesota eventually?

Here's something a VERY quick search pulled up for Temp Agencies in Boston

http://local.yahoo.com/MA/Boston/957639 ... +Agencies/

That being said, I DO NOT recommend living in Boston for any length of time due to the fact that the cost of living there is more or less similar to that found in the Bay Area.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:03 pm

GH can tell you more, of course, but he is open to moving. His priorities are work, oportunities for continuing his education, and good vibes.

There are some employment opportunities here that interest him so he's not opposed to moving.

I just think the winters would be a true shock. But then, some people love them.

BeeBee

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:07 pm

Speaking of employment, the School District here in Rochester is looking for Transportation Paras.

The only factor is that you need transportation to the bus company but I can help him with that. Here is the job description:

Job Summary:
# Accompany Special Education students on the school bus taking care of personal needs and assuring their safety.
# Model a positive attitude and appropriate behavior for students while riding the bus.
# Ensure that students are delivered to a responsible person.
# Monitor student behavior during bus ride to ensure safe behavior and prevention of injury.
# File discipline reports as needed.
# Assist students getting on and off the bus.
# Assist bus driver in buckling seat belts and securing wheelchairs.
# Perform tasks within the level of responsibility of position as assigned by the supervisor.

Qualifications:
# Must have own transportation to and from report site (report site is Rochester School Bus, 2021 32nd Avenue NW).
# Experience in behavior management techniques.
# Physical requirements: Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must be physically able to evacuate students in the event of an emergency.
# Regular, on time attendance is required.

Working Conditions:

CLASSIFICATION: B-2-1; 1884
SALARY: $12.43 per hour (entry level)
WORK DAY/YEAR: 6 hours per day; approx. a.m. report time of 6:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and p.m. report time of 1:45 p.m.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:12 pm

He's looking at para's in the school setting here too, Louis. Just about every district has opening. Most of them for 6-6.5 hours a day. The nice thing about being a bus para might be the mid day break.

Do you know about cost of living in Rochester vs. Metro?

BeeBee

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:14 pm

BeeBee wrote:
I just think the winters would be a true shock. But then, some people love them.

BeeBee

Yeah, I'm very familiar with what winters are like there myself, having Lived in North Dakota from 75 to 81. Have you informed him of the -40 and sometimes up to -80F windchills, as well as White outs?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:16 pm

The first winter would be a shock, especially if we have a cold one.

Rochester is not as bad, I have only seen it get to -20 with wind chills of -40 - -50

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:52 pm

alex wrote:
I think that instead of giving ghosthunter money, we should try to help him get a job. You can give a man a fish but it would be better to teach him how to fish.

oh yes, but it's pointless teaching a man to fish if he's going to drop dead from starvatio half way through the lesson.

and i'd still like to hear GH's opinion on this - i'm a little queasy about discussing someone in this way when they're not here to join in or comment. i know everyone's trying to be helpful, but it's a bit patronising to plan someone else's life for them. sorry to the people who obviously know him well enough to comment, but i know how people get frustrated with benig treated like a child.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 3:04 pm

vetivert wrote:
and i'd still like to hear GH's opinion on this - i'm a little queasy about discussing someone in this way when they're not here to join in or comment. i know everyone's trying to be helpful, but it's a bit patronising to plan someone else's life for them. sorry to the people who obviously know him well enough to comment, but i know how people get frustrated with benig treated like a child.

I agree...I think it's quite obvious, actually, We need to wait and see what Ghost thinks.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 7:49 pm

oh I was just thinking of the usual travellers jobs, dishwasher, kitchenhand, that sort of thing. Short term, like day labour or whatever. I don't think GH would have a problem with us discussing his situation, quite the reverse!

Last edited by Postperson on 28 Jul 2005, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 8:55 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
The first winter would be a shock, especially if we have a cold one.

Rochester is not as bad, I have only seen it get to -20 with wind chills of -40 - -50

Too bad he couldn't get a job and housing by me. Lake Michigan really moderates tempratures and the weather quite a bit. During summer time, we are typically 10-15 degrees cooler than inland areas and during winter time, we typically don't get our first snow until January. The coldest I ever saw the temprature get was -20F on 2/1/1996, the same day tower minnesota dropped down to -60F with outlying areas dropping down to -74F!

However, the work up by me is all either retail or blue collar heavy industrial type work.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 9:32 pm

This kind of thing is a REALLY bad idea.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 9:42 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
This kind of thing is a REALLY bad idea.

If you mean talking about ghosthunter before he even has a chance to state his feeling on the matter, I totally 100% agree

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 11:16 pm

Dosn't anyone watch Law and Order?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 11:58 pm

No. Why?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 12:08 am

Quote:
Ghosthunter might have to cut his trip short due to the lack of money. I think we should start a fund to allow him to continue his travelling.

In that case I want a hale_bopp travel fund to be set up at once.

You can forward me the money by direct credit. ;)

No offence, but piss off, i'm sure this thread was a joke. If he has to cut his travels short, well that's too bad.

I'll try not to wet my pants laughing over this if your'e actually serious.