Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 3:33 am

I've been considering the possibility of moving for quite some time now... I ain't really happy in this College anymore and where I live just doesn't reflect my choice of lifestyle.
This place is only bringing me down - it's waded too thin; I mean it's served me well for its time but I feel it's definately time to move. Plus this course I'm on is agonizingly tough for a guy who's not on the academic side - it's 3 A levels... also ain't got any close friends who attend this College... some old close friends attend elsewhere... my new close friends live in different parts of England. I feel I'm becoming incompetent on my course atm too... all this plus being an aspie just adds up to mass agony and confusion...
Also socially I'm very frustrated - really want to live closer to these new friends of mine - one being a potential girlfriend.

My attitude suits this sorta lifestyle. I remember a quote of mine "I swear I'd be better at shooting down zombified mutants for a living than all this academic stuff" lol. :D Was playing Resident Evil 4 at the time. :P

So now it's come to this... if I move now though I miss out on what could be good grades by the end of the course...
But I REALLY want to move... take the big risks and build on my social situation.
The 'potential girlfriend' lives in Yorkshire, and that dude who's now a good friend of mine and her's lives in Derby or somewhere... they are within fairly close proximity.

So now it comes to this... should I move on? The prospect of this REALLY compels and entices me...

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 9:40 am

Being of the parental persuasion, I would recommend finishing the term out, especially if you have potential to do relatively well, THEN move.

Kris

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 10:37 am

schleppenheimer wrote:
Being of the parental persuasion, I would recommend finishing the term out, especially if you have potential to do relatively well, THEN move.

Kris

I agree with this, even though I'm not of the parental persuasion. :P

A few months may seem like a lifetime right now. If you can manage to stick it out, to get the good grades you feel you could obtain, you wouldn't lose anything you've worked for. If you were thinking about transferring schools, it will look better to those in admissions if you persevere.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 11:04 am

Another vote to stay the course... just what you want to hear, huh? :wink:

Can you find another way to deal with this urge?
Take an evening away from your normal going's on?
Take a day and go out, go away just for the change?

If you could just satisfy that urge enough to get you through, then finish the term, that would be much better in the long run.

I know I used to have a hard time dealing with those urges too. That's why I spent so much time quitting jobs, school, moving everywhere, basically destroying everything I started out building up again.

Hope you can hang with it for a bit longer. :D

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 4:46 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:

That would be my recommendation as well.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 10:14 am

I agree with those who say finish the term, get the best grades you can, then perhaps move. The only caution I have about moving comes from my childhood. My parents always hated the place they lived, the schools we went to, etc., and always promised it would be so much better in the new house, new town, new school, etc., and it never was. Living for the idea that "the grass is always greener on the other side" rarely works. My parents never found that perfect school, neighborhood, town, etc., and I was always let down when all the great things I was promised didn't pan out.

Not sure if any of this applies in your situation, but some of it applied in mine.

Just an opinion.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:42 am

Cheers people. :) Yes I have decided to stay.
I hope I can turn the tables on this social situation...