Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:58 pm

I will be vanishing soon. I have to resume work on my CD and the update to my software I have been waiting for is SUPPOSED to be out tomorrow. I have one last song to record. Once the mixing is finished it goes off for mastering. That will take a few days at the very least (the mastering, that is). After that it goes to the manufacturer for the actual CD replication. Then it goes into distribution. I may try to get back in when I can, but it may not be until the CD has ben released. I may be around in the morning of the 29th, but the music is calling me back and I will have to go soon. I might stop by during breaks, I dunno.

Why am I telling you this, seeing how we don't even know each other? Ahhh, who knows. I just felt like it. Those of you who know me from any of the chatrooms are aquainted with my tendancies to vanish from time to time.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 6:30 am

/me is wondering why he even bothered posting this...

I mean, I don't think it's as if anyone actually cares whether some people are here, or not. Oh well.

Music is my friend.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:01 am

What's the CD, and what type of music do you play?

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:22 am

It will be a 9, or 10 song CD. I play piano and guitar: jazz, rock, blues, classical, and some other assorted genres.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:30 am

Actually, I do care and I appreciate your note. I don't do chat and therefore would not know that coming and going is normal for you.

I don't think we've had a chance to "talk" but I enjoy reading your posts.

Good luck with the CD.

BeeBee

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:49 am

Thanks BeeBee. I was sort of thinking out loud when I made this thread and then again when I replied to it, wondering why I even posted it to begin with. Sometimes I do things that I can't even figure out.

I REALLY want this CD to turn out well. It's the first one I've ever done that I know is actually going to be released (because someone else is in control of all of that this time) in any significant way. I do have some concerns though, such as:

All of my income is from Social Security and this project is being paid for by someone else. There is a chance that I will make more royalties than I am allowed to make per month and one month of them can make me lose my disability. That would be OK IF the income was guaranteed to be steady and I would no longer need Social Security benefits. However, chances are more likely that it will bring in slightly over the limit for a few months and then will I go back to needing SSA benefits and won't be able to get them because I made too much from the CD. I am very stressed out about this. I intend to donate most of the money that I am entitled to from sales (assuming it sells), but I can't figure out how to avoid the artist's royalties that would be paid through the performance rights organization I belong to. I don't ewant to be back to having no income at all just because I made over $500 one month.

The only other option is to not release it commercially, but my family is really encouraging me to do so and I find the thought of it exciting.

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 8:19 am

Quote:

I mean, I don't think it's as if anyone actually cares whether some people are here, or not. Oh well.

I wrote about this very subject once. I call it "Delayed Inspiration".

http://www.monastic_1.blogspot.com/

DeepThought, I have very much enjoyed your posts and hope that after you are finished with your CD, you might consider coming back and telling us about it?
I vanish too, sometimes as I need time to regroup after a while to kind of re-charge my batteries, so to speak. For example, you just can't imagine how long it is taking me to just write this little bit :roll: Sometimes I struggle so.
Take care and let us know if we can purchase our own copy of your CD. I am very much into jazz & blues but enjoy rock and classical, too.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2005, 8:26 am

hey deepthought good luck with it all

I'm recording lots of music at the minute too; I got Cubase a few weeks ago and it's taken over my life. I got it mainly to record demos as I've got loads of songs I want to put out as an album but I want somebody else to pay for it too ie a record company

I'm acoustic singer/songwrite type although I do other stuff as well

-----------------------------------------------------------

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 8:37 am

monastic wrote:
Quote:

I wrote about this very subject once. I call it "Delayed Inspiration".

http://www.monastic_1.blogspot.com/

DeepThought, I have very much enjoyed your posts and hope that after you are finished with your CD, you might consider coming back and telling us about it?
I vanish too, sometimes as I need time to regroup after a while to kind of re-charge my batteries, so to speak. For example, you just can't imagine how long it is taking me to just write this little bit :roll: Sometimes I struggle so.
Take care and let us know if we can purchase our own copy of your CD. I am very much into jazz & blues but enjoy rock and classical, too.

I read the blog. Interesting concept. There have been times that people have told me how valuable they found something I posted, which I never expected and never know how to react to. There have been other times I just felt like I am just an insignificant fish in an overstocked pond.

I will let everyone know when I am done. There should be some MP3s of some of the songs available too, once it is released. I will at least be active here until Sonar 4.03 is released and maybe a little afterwards, but I will break out of this phase soon and dive back into the process.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 8:45 am

rumio wrote:
hey deepthought good luck with it all

I'm recording lots of music at the minute too; I got Cubase a few weeks ago and it's taken over my life. I got it mainly to record demos as I've got loads of songs I want to put out as an album but I want somebody else to pay for it too ie a record company

I'm acoustic singer/songwrite type although I do other stuff as well

Thanks rumio.

Recording is not only fun, it's a great way to escape everything. When I am working on music my Tourette's seems to go away, my stress levels drop way down (unless something on the computer crashes, or the A's on my keyboard all decide they aren't going to respond anymore) and nothing else exists except the music.

What type of other gear do you have (I like talking about gear)?

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 2:27 pm

DeepThought, you know I do care, I'll miss you again and hope the CD and all work out well. Do keep in touch please.

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2005, 3:05 pm

DeepThought wrote:
What type of other gear do you have (I like talking about gear)?

sorry to disappoint you but I'm not really gear oriented, I just like making music but here goes

I play a Yamaha LJX6C acoustic guitar which has onboard pickup and microphone that you can use in phase - I love it because the microphone gives a real rich natural tone, even when its put through my Marshall AS50R

I have a Behringer Eurorack UB802 for inputting into the computer and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 SZ

and a pretty cheap AKG dynamic microphone

that's about it really

I play mandolin, saz and bodhran as well

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 6:59 am

You didn't disappoint me. I don't know why I get so fascinated with gear sometimes. I have always been drawn to electronic stuff with knobs and buttons.

What style of music do you write?

I have been wanting a Mandolin for quite some time now.. preferably an electric one that isn't too expensive.

More thread specific: I am downloading the Sonar 4.03 update right now...

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2005, 10:24 am

DeepThought wrote:
What style of music do you write?

the album I'm putting together is fairly conventional acoustic/verse-chorus-verse type stuff, average song about 4 minutes long, it's fairly slow-medium paced and quite gentle on the ear, I use lots of open strings and I always play with the top E tuned down to D, I just got in the habit and a standard tuning sounds quite odd to me now

I just recorded a song last night that to me sounds quite Van Morrison but I have no idea whether anyone else would pick that up

I think my influences come out in a subconscious sort of way rather than something identifiable but people who have inspired me musically include the aforementioned Van the Man, Tim Buckley, Leonard Cohen, Tom Verlaine, I also like some of the alt.country/americana stuff

but I also use music as a direct spiritual practice in my Sufi path and that tends to be kind of mantric, 'trance' type music although I don't like that word, meditative would be a better description

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 11:47 am

DeepThought wrote:
vThere have been other times I just felt like I am just an insignificant fish in an overstocked pond.

not to go on a tangent or anything, but this is exactly why I love WP so much. I find pretty much everyother forum boring b/c not a single person seems to be able to think, and when they do think, they can't keep it short enough to catch my attention. WP, how I love you so!

Sometimes I certainly feel like a fish in a overstocked pond here, but the other fish is what makes it so interesting and revelavent to me here. . . .

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 6:28 pm

DeepThought, to the contrary. You are on the fast track to becoming one of my favorite posters.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/