Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 6:28 pm

DeepThought, to the contrary. You are on the fast track to becoming one of my favorite posters.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:39 am

Sophist wrote:
DeepThought, to the contrary. You are on the fast track to becoming one of my favorite posters.

Thanks Sophist.

Side note: I have updated Cakewalk Sonar to 4.03 and am going to try to start mixing on Monday. It is hard to keep myself away from here (certain topics are just far too interesting to abandon right now), so I don't expect to vanish completely, but if I do then everyone knows why.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:41 am

rumio wrote:
DeepThought wrote:
What style of music do you write?

the album I'm putting together is fairly conventional acoustic/verse-chorus-verse type stuff, average song about 4 minutes long, it's fairly slow-medium paced and quite gentle on the ear, I use lots of open strings and I always play with the top E tuned down to D, I just got in the habit and a standard tuning sounds quite odd to me now

I just recorded a song last night that to me sounds quite Van Morrison but I have no idea whether anyone else would pick that up

I think my influences come out in a subconscious sort of way rather than something identifiable but people who have inspired me musically include the aforementioned Van the Man, Tim Buckley, Leonard Cohen, Tom Verlaine, I also like some of the alt.country/americana stuff

but I also use music as a direct spiritual practice in my Sufi path and that tends to be kind of mantric, 'trance' type music although I don't like that word, meditative would be a better description

Sounds interesting. How do you plan to release the album (downloads, CD, etc...)?

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:48 am

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
DeepThought, you know I do care, I'll miss you again and hope the CD and all work out well. Do keep in touch please.

Mish, I haven't vanished yet. It seems my should have been self-fulfilling prophecy is not coming to pass in the manner I expected. I am so used to people attacking me on forums whenever I speak my mind that I may have expected that here. I find that I am thinking "who is going to bash me now?" less and less each time I start to read replies here.

In a way I am like a young wild animal that always seems to be backed into a corner by a predator (online and IRL). My defenses are always up in preparation for an unforseen attack and as soon as I perceive a possible threat I tend to lash out very aggressively. Here, I feel like I can lower my defenses a little. Perhaps because there is safety in numbers.

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2005, 10:20 am

DeepThought wrote:
Sounds interesting. How do you plan to release the album (downloads, CD, etc...)?

All I've thought about was putting out a CD - the whole download thing is a mystery to me at the moment but I can see that's the way things are going.

-----------------------------------------------------------

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 10:30 am

This is the first serious endeavor I have made into actually releasing a serious CD. It has been very expensive. Equipment costs to get the best quality have been huge (I am very grateful that some people have believed in my abilities so much that thay have been willing to invest in decent equipment) and the costs involved in mastering and replication add another $2000.00 (minimum) to it.

I would highly suggest learning how to put your music online before you try to release a CD. When I wonder if this CD will ever pay for itself, I contemplate the same thoughts myself, but this project has already been committed to financially and there is no way any investor will receive a return from MP3 downloads. I guess others have more confidence in my abilities than me.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 2:17 pm

Well, I was going to start mixing today, but have spent the entire day emailing back and forth with Cakewalk because of some problems with plug-ins causing the new version to crash my PC. :cry:

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 10:09 pm

Re this place being one where you can let your guard down....

If I were just a little more paranoid i would say deep thought was reading my journal again :wink:

deep thought, i like your posts but at the same time i understand vanishing.

hope your CD comes out well.

feel free to come here and procrastinate all you want 8)

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2005, 8:18 am

Neuroman,

I have not vanished yet. I did start mixing yesterday, but found my computer is way too loud for me to get accurate mixes after I had to move it closer to my desk. I am trying to get that problem remedied before I start my endeavor so I don't mess things up and have to redo them later.

Actually, I haven't read your journal... yet. I am not sure I will, but I might one day. I think in a way I am using this forums as some kind of interactive journal. I find it interesting that there are other people on this planet that share some of my experiences and are able to communicate about them in a way that I can understand. Knowing that there are others out there who are like me is in some ways sort of comforting.

I now figure that since I have to take breaks every hour or two to rest my ears, it may be better for me to come in here during that time instead of just pacing around the living room.