Did you do well on SAT/ACT tests?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MysticSong
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2007, 12:46 am

Didn't take the ACT (I don't believe). I took the SAT I when the top score was 1600. I got a 1030. My Dad was horrified, and wanted me to retake it. I refused. I'm awful at those sort of tests. I did marginally better (about 150 points) on the SAT II which I took in Chemistry (my originally intended major). I scored in Chem better than most people my age who had actually taken Adv Chem and Organic chem. I only had college bound. :)

I got into and graduated from college just fine with that score. I was very relieved when I did not have to the GREs to get into grad school!

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 11:08 pm

I got an 1190 on CR/Math score but a 4.0 GPA to loosely back it up. I like school, despite the imperfections, and I always was kind of the teacher's pet.

The, ACT however, not so much. 23 was the name, this was the game

First time: under great confusion from a Japanese math teacher (lasted a semester)

Second: the prom was rescheduled the day before, and a three hour nap doesn't cut it.

Hopefully this Saturday will change things in the history of me, myself, and I forever.

manzanita
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2007, 4:22 pm

I took my SATs and ACTs when I was 15. I got a 1330 (pre-essay) and a 31 composite (36, 35, 29, 26 with the high scores in language), had a 3.6 gpa, and STILL failed my 2nd semester of college.

It is all irrelevant to how well you will do in school. Intelligence does not make a good student.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:27 pm

I did alright. I got a 1700 on the new SATs. Not great, but above average and fine for the schools I applied (and eventually got accepted) to.

JWLuke787
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 1:49 pm

32 Cumulative! 36 on science.

apinkpony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 6:55 pm

I didn't take the ACT, but on the New SAT I got a 1750, or Math/Reading I got a 1220. Most colleges around here do not factor in the new writing section... and it was my lowest score. Got a 620 in math, 600 in reading and a 530 on the writing. The average math/reading score for my fairly selective private college (pacific lutheran) was around 1100. I remember because they were surpised with my low grades (cummulative grade at graduation was a 2.7, and that was with me working to pull of a 4.0 all senior year) that I did significantly better than average.

So even though my scores weren't great (decent though) and my grades were definitely pretty bad, I got into all 5 colleges to which I applied. 2 private selective colleges, 1 public highly selective college (University of Washington) and and 2 public not-so-selective colleges (aka backup plans).

The thing that saved me was #1, teachers who really liked me and were willing to call the schools and say "hey this kid is really great -- give her a chance", #2 -- good essays. The essays are usually pretty open, so your able to write about what you want to write about. I'm really good at rambling about stuff i like. :) The third trick was having a unique set of extra curriculars. I've ridden horses since 5th grade, and started an internet business in the 11th grade. They aren't terribly unique, but they are different than the run of the mill "honors club, deca, fbla, spanish club, asb..."

Anyway sorry I kind of rambling but just wanted to let people who aren't so confident about college have a little more confidence... you can do it! I have to tell that to my probably-AS brother often. Although I also tell him to stop being so himself and actually do his homework. Homework was my downfall!

Ok. I'm done, have a good day.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 3:45 am

I was too slow on reading and didn't answer all the questions, so the best I got on the ACT was 22.

English 18

Mathematics 22

Reading 22

Science 26

Composite 22

On the GED which I took later I had much better success:

Writing 76th percentile (I turned in my rough draft rather than bother)

Social Studies 90th percentile

Science 96th percentile

Reading (comprehension) 99th percentile

Mathematics 98th percentile

There are fewer questions and more time for the GED so I was able to answer all of them to the best of my ability rather than rushing and not being able to complete the ACT. I can do very well on things if given enough time, but rush me and my work is sloppy.