=\ Go figure.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 8:56 pm

ev8 wrote:
1420 SAT the year before they changed the ceiling, 2.0 GPA

=\ Go figure.

Sounds like how my Calculus AB AP exam went back in high school. Had a C in the class, took the exam. Walked out, the instructor asked me how I thought I did. I said I thought I did well. He asked me if I thought I managed a three. I calmly responded "No. I got a five on it."

I wound up getting a 5. I think that may have pissed him off a bit.

Cooper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2007, 1:53 pm

I got a 1500 (on the old 1600 point test). 780 verbal, 720 math. I know the test doesn't mean much, but I got accepted to every college I applied to in part because of it. People got angry at me for talking about how I found taking the test fun.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:06 pm

I made a 30 on my ACT the first time,re-took it a few days ago and made a 31. :D

-SpaceCase

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 12:40 pm

I made a 30 on my ACT. (I didn't really study for it, and I didn't have much sleep the night before.)

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2007, 3:34 pm

2190 SAT (could have done better). I felt sick during my ACT and left to go to the bathroom, losing 5 mins of time and severely impacting my score. I had perfect scores on 2 sections, and high 20s on the other 2. I think I ended up in the low 30s, so I still did well.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 9:37 am

Part of the reason why I'm asking about this is because:

1) First son got a 1410 on the old SAT (five years ago)

2) NT daughter who's a junior gets great grades, but is concerned that she won't do as well as her Aspie older brother, who didn't get great grades

3) youngest aspie son doesn't seem to test well. I'm really wondering how he will manage the SAT/ACT tests at all, especially when they change the requirements to include a lot more writing and explanation of how people arrive at certain math results. Kind of curious if any of you struggled with tests early in your school career, only to do fine on the SAT/ACT tests

Kris

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2007, 5:45 pm

How young is he? I didn't figure out how to "game" multiple choice tests until midway through junior high, at around 13yo.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2007, 6:45 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:

2) NT daughter who's a junior gets great grades, but is concerned that she won't do as well as her Aspie older brother, who didn't get great grades

3) youngest aspie son doesn't seem to test well. I'm really wondering how he will manage the SAT/ACT tests at all, especially when they change the requirements to include a lot more writing and explanation of how people arrive at certain math results. Kind of curious if any of you struggled with tests early in your school career, only to do fine on the SAT/ACT tests

Kris

Actually, I am the reverse. When I was in elementary school I did excellent on my Iowa Test of Basic Skills (top 10-15 percentile), fairly well on my ACT (24 overall, but 27 in both sciences and social science), and very poorly on my GRE 2x. The problem for me has always been that the higher tests are a lot more abstract and a lot less practical/concrete.

For me, it's easy to research and write very detailed and monotonous papers all day because I get to choose the topics that interest me and they are fairly concrete in nature. However, if I have to explain advanced math problems or even the symbolism in a novel...well I'm lost.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 7:07 pm

I got a 28 on my ACT...or 29....I don't remember which.
I did a lot worse on the writing than anything else.

Aerin
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2007, 1:20 am

schleppenheimer wrote:

Kris

My sister had the same worries as your daughter. I scored a 31 twice on the ACT and pretty high on the PSAT, but I didn't take the SAT. She did much better in school, but she only got a 24 on the ACT, I think. Much better than me was above 2.5, I think. We both got accepted in our schools of choice and she is very happy and successful. Annie is really bad at tests, but she seemed to do okay on the ACT and the SAT. I hate writing essays, so I just stuck with the multiple choice ACT, but some schools require the SAT specifically for the essay portion. Does your youngest son have to take the tests? I've found that community colleges are perfect for me, even though I did very well on those tests, I am really bad at being away at school.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 10:08 am

I took the ACT in 1985 and 1986, when I was in 11th and 12th grade respectively. When I was in 11th grade, I got a 22 and when I was in 12th, I got a 26. Right after I took it the first time, I got letters from several schools around the U.S. The second time, all of my scores other than social studies went up.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 9:18 pm

I did fairly well on the SAT (1340 out of 1600) and the GRE (670v / 670m / 5.5w), even though I didn't study. I think it's funny that I got the same score on both tests if you don't include the GRE's writing section.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 11:05 pm

You know how they say always go with your first impulse on a test? Well, my first impulse is almost always wrong, so I have to rethink things to get anywhere close to the right answer.

I only took the SAT and that was before the change. I only got an 1120 and that was the second time that I took it. The first time I took it I got a 1050. 70 point difference. I mean, holy cheese. I got something like a 620 on the English and a 500 on the math. Seriously, I cannot do higher levels of math.

Then again, I graduated college magna cum laude and in the top 10% . . . so whatever, right? And that was good enough for me to get in the grad school I wanted to be at. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

the2death5of6pathos
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2007, 1:04 pm

33 ACT
>1500 SAT (forget where in the 1500's it was..)
2.4 GPA

I always enjoyed those sorts of tests, like a rare candy. I literally counted the days until I could take them.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2007, 9:57 pm

You guys do know that all the things they tell you about the SAT's and ACT's is BS. In the end they don't really matter. Most colleges place much more emphasis on grade trends and extracurricular activities, as well as the education level of the school...

Religion: A good way to demonstrate our ability to believe things that just aren't so.