Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Crystalmirror
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2007, 7:49 pm

I have been unemployed for almost four years (I'm almost 27), and it really annoys me that certain people involved in my treatment don't think I can have a job right now. I don't know why, because I know for a fact that there are people out there with worse problems than me that have jobs. I guess maybe it's my social skills, but why should that affect my ability to do a job? I can do things if people show me. What really galls me is that I have always had people telling me how intelligent I was, so people expected a lot from me, and I know I can do things. Another part of the problem is that I don't have a lot of job experience, so I'm looking into the possibility of volunteer work which would hopefully lead to real work. But the bottom line is I'm frustrated because I want to work and am being held back. Does anyone else have this problem?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Sep 2007, 8:00 pm

dont ever believe the lie that if you volunteer somewhere ittle lead to a job at that place. i did that many times and ended up working for free. i know your frustration though in getting/keeping a job. for me its job inexpirance, and if i did manage to get a job it would be in the service industry. and of course 99% of the time you need good social skills when working with the public. i always did my best at whatever job i did but was never satisfactory at it. goodluck

Crystalmirror

23 Sep 2007, 8:09 pm

richardbenson wrote:
dont ever believe the lie that if you volunteer somewhere ittle lead to a job at that place. i did that many times and ended up working for free. i know your frustration though in getting/keeping a job. for me its job inexpirance, and if i did manage to get a job it would be in the service industry. and of course 99% of the time you need good social skills when working with the public. i always did my best at whatever job i did but was never satisfactory at it. goodluck

Thanks for the support. I wasn't actually thinking I'd work at the same place I'd volunteer at, but I'm hoping it will give me some much needed work experience.

I live in a state that actually has quite a lot to offer people with mental illnesses, but unfortunately most of it is aimed at people with lower intelligence levels. I apologize if I sound elitist, but a lot of times I resent being lumped in with people like that. Also, a lot of the job services for them are mostly aimed at getting menial, low-class jobs, and I'd like to think I can do better than that.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Sep 2007, 8:13 pm

i feel the same way about group therapy. like why do i want 15 other people with schizophrenia to know my problems, i need some individual counceling n***a please! nobody at the guidance center seemd to understand that. anyways i'd like to work again because i think it relieves alot of stress and you dont feel so much like a loser but right now im on disability. its OK i guess but someday i'd like to give working another try.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 8:22 pm

Crystalmirror wrote:
I have been unemployed for almost four years (I'm almost 27), and it really annoys me that certain people involved in my treatment don't think I can have a job right now. I don't know why, because I know for a fact that there are people out there with worse problems than me that have jobs. I guess maybe it's my social skills, but why should that affect my ability to do a job? I can do things if people show me. What really galls me is that I have always had people telling me how intelligent I was, so people expected a lot from me, and I know I can do things. Another part of the problem is that I don't have a lot of job experience, so I'm looking into the possibility of volunteer work which would hopefully lead to real work. But the bottom line is I'm frustrated because I want to work and am being held back. Does anyone else have this problem?

I would LOVE to say richardbensen is 100% wrong, but I have to agree with his assessment that free is a bad idea. Besides, it shows possible desperation. Also, if you can appear normal for a few hours, and are resonably intelligent, you ought to be able to do well. Determine what you can do, and what you would like to do, try to learn enough to do the closest fit, and try to get an in and go for a job.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Sep 2007, 8:28 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
I would LOVE to say richardbenson is 100% wrong, but I have to agree with his assessment
why thank you steve that was very sweet of you :roll: :heart:

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:32 pm

Yes! The same is happening for me. My lacking social skills are part of it, but also entry-level job prospects here are poor at best. There aren't enough to go around....and most have stupid requirements (be 21, 2-years prior experience).

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:54 pm

The only jobs I can get are entry-level crap, most of it having to deal with people all day.

I had a few jobs which didn't involve customers, but were even worse because they had tons of sickening office politics and bullies.

I've now been unemployed 4 weeks and my wife left me and took the kids the day I lost the job. I've barely left the house at all. I'm at about the lowest point in my life.

I need to find a good "aspie" job, one I can stick with for years (because in my wife's opinion) I can't be considered "stable" until I can hold a job for a long time without running away when things get hard. (I *know* she doesn't understand the abuse I suffer at the hands of the "common folk".)

So I feel for you.... I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel for all of us.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 7:18 am

BlueMax wrote:
The only jobs I can get are entry-level crap, most of it having to deal with people all day.

I had a few jobs which didn't involve customers, but were even worse because they had tons of sickening office politics and bullies.

I've now been unemployed 4 weeks and my wife left me and took the kids the day I lost the job. I've barely left the house at all. I'm at about the lowest point in my life.

I need to find a good "aspie" job, one I can stick with for years (because in my wife's opinion) I can't be considered "stable" until I can hold a job for a long time without running away when things get hard. (I *know* she doesn't understand the abuse I suffer at the hands of the "common folk".)

So I feel for you.... I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel for all of us.

Hey! Don't feel so bad... Everyone has to deal with a curve ball every now and then. And I do believe that in this life, you might get struck down, but you never strike out. Never, ever, give up on yourself.

The first priority is to take care of yourself. Go out and take in some of that fall color. Breathe in that crisp cool air. Go for a run maybe. Some exercise is always good. Slow down, let go a little, and let your heart find your mind.

the_incident
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2007, 2:30 pm

Crystalmirror wrote:

Is there a specific reason they don't think you can work? Are they aware of something you aren't? Have you had a job before?

Your social skills come into play because almost every job involves dealing with people in some way. Not to mention the interview process.

It's good that you seem very eager to work. Volunteering can possibly lead to a full time job (depending on where you volunteer) but don't count on it. However, it does show that you are willing to work, rather than "just sitting around." Anyone looking at your resume will wonder why you haven't worked for four years, and if you can tell them something like "I've been volunteering at such-and-such" instead of "I've been looking for a job" it sounds better to employers.

Good luck!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 2:38 pm

Go find a volunteering job at aplace that you think you will fit in, such as your local PBS station or your local Red Cross.