Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 7:49 pm

Orwell wrote:
Brian003 wrote:
Did you get a 4.0 unweighted?

YOU BETTER apply to Harvard, Cornell, MIT, Standford etc..... if you got grades and test scores like that.

Although it does not look like you did much outside of school, so that is going to hurt your application. The IVY league schools are going to look at students who excel both academically and socially; so doing one sport would have guaranteed 100% acceptance pretty much. Although you did get a Varsity Letter in the academics, but they don't give you a jacket for that. :(

I feel very hypocritical while writing this because I use to bully a kid who was exactly like you in high school.

I'm guessing that you spent a lot of time studying?

Well, last year's valedictorian from my high school got rejected from Harvard, Princeton, and Yale despite three years of varsity baseball. So adding one sport to the type of resume I'm sending probably wouldn't make a huge difference
Actually, I have never studied for anything. I've always just kinda showed up to class, and my memory took care of the rest. Though sometimes my grades drop a couple points when I don't do any of the busy-work. And no, I did not quite get a 4.0 unweighted. My transcript shows a B in gym. :oops:

In my opinion, the Ivy League schools are overrated. They wanted to keep the "average joes" out and the wealth elites in. Applied to somewhere where you are most comfortable at. In my case, George Mason University was 30 minutes from home and I know my family is close by if I need them to help me out.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 8:51 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
In my opinion, the Ivy League schools are overrated.

Absolutely. You can go to a university that is virtually unknown and still get a good education. The quality of the professors and the program is far more important than the name ever will be.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2007, 11:17 pm

It's true- But when you have grades like that it is a great opportunity.

If I could get into an ivy league school I would drop whatever I am doing and rush right in.

Last edited by Brian003 on 02 Oct 2007, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2007, 11:20 pm

Orwell wrote:
Brian003 wrote:
Did you get a 4.0 unweighted?

YOU BETTER apply to Harvard, Cornell, MIT, Standford etc..... if you got grades and test scores like that.

Although it does not look like you did much outside of school, so that is going to hurt your application. The IVY league schools are going to look at students who excel both academically and socially; so doing one sport would have guaranteed 100% acceptance pretty much. Although you did get a Varsity Letter in the academics, but they don't give you a jacket for that. :(

I feel very hypocritical while writing this because I use to bully a kid who was exactly like you in high school.

I'm guessing that you spent a lot of time studying?

Well, last year's valedictorian from my high school got rejected from Harvard, Princeton, and Yale despite three years of varsity baseball. So adding one sport to the type of resume I'm sending probably wouldn't make a huge difference
Actually, I have never studied for anything. I've always just kinda showed up to class, and my memory took care of the rest. Though sometimes my grades drop a couple points when I don't do any of the busy-work. And no, I did not quite get a 4.0 unweighted. My transcript shows a B in gym. :oops:

That sounds strange. My high school was pretty hard and some kids would study like 4 hours every day........

Why didn't the valedictorian get in? Is it because of your school system or am I missing something completely?

By the way, I HATE the kids who just get straight A's and never study. I worked my tail off (Studying 50 hours a week) to get into the University I am in now. But thats also because I took Calculus/Chemistry/PHY/JApenese in the same semester(Horrible Idea).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 9:27 pm

Brian003 wrote:
That sounds strange. My high school was pretty hard and some kids would study like 4 hours every day........

Why didn't the valedictorian get in? Is it because of your school system or am I missing something completely?

By the way, I HATE the kids who just get straight A's and never study. I worked my tail off (Studying 50 hours a week) to get into the University I am in now. But thats also because I took Calculus/Chemistry/PHY/JApenese in the same semester(Horrible Idea).

Our high school is somewhat known among colleges, but not really in a good way. It's the largest in the state of Ohio, and most of our teachers are horribly inept. My guidance counselor actually told me that my chances at getting into the top schools would be a ton better if I was just at a different school. The valedictorian from last year didn't have SAT scores quite as high as mine. Still perfectly respectable, and around the average for students admitted to Harvard, but not insanely high. We have AP classes, and my schedule is filled with them, but as students who struggle badly in these classes (and probably should not be taking them) make such a fuss over their grades, the teachers are forced to give out easy grades. If several students (myself included) had not gotten into online AP classes, we would have more than ten people tied for valedictorian because all of the grades at my school are so easy. An A in one of our classes really means absolutely nothing, as you have to do something really wrong to get anything else.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 9:42 pm

Crudentials

Small Private (UNACCREDITED) Church School
-Helped socially, lags badly in college work
GPA 4.0
Courses: Loaded with everything they got.
Extra-cirricular:
-Math tutor 3 years
-Natl. Beta Club 3 years (Treasurer last year)
-Mascot this year
ACT: 23
-Next to crap for where I wan't to go
-Still apply to state schools and devil's money [lottery] scholarship
SAT I: TBA
-Did above average for sure
Awards: possibly valedictorian, possibly. The highest scorer didn't take physics.

The main weakness is not only the test scores, but maybe the school as well. I know one girl who midway through admission process, transferred. She was set to be Valedictorian (class of 12).

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 5:16 pm

shadexiii wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
In my opinion, the Ivy League schools are overrated.

Absolutely. You can go to a university that is virtually unknown and still get a good education. The quality of the professors and the program is far more important than the name ever will be.

I heard that many corporations refuse to hire ivy leaguers b/c of the snooty stereotype.

jbburn
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2007, 5:25 pm

I'm applying at a few state schools and community colleges in the area. I want to get my prerequisites and core classes out of the way, cheaply, and then transfer to a university. Plus, I've maintained terrible grades through out middle school and high school, and this is probably the only way I'll be accepted into a university.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 7:54 pm

Brian003 wrote:
It's true- But when you have grades like that it is a great opportunity.

If I could get into an ivy league school I would drop whatever I am doing and rush right in.

On a scholarship, I can see, but the cost is so extreme that I personally would not attend an Ivy league school even if I was accepted.