Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

iddqd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2007, 8:23 am

How do you tell someone in an email that you don't want to (or can't) go to their eighteenth? Without sounding rude that is...?

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 8:43 am

Mentioning other plans is the best thing to do. Or even better, go to their 18th. You might enjoy yourself.

iddqd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2007, 8:47 am

No way, lol, Halo 3 is coming out tomorrow :lol: (same day as the party)

I know there'll be plenty of 18th's next year... thanks, btw

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 12:24 pm

Well... I feel its always good to make an apperence, I always fear that if I blow ppl off long enough they wont bother anymore.

Anyways, Ya, just meansion other plans, thats my strategy when I dont wanna go out, their is a healthy balance, you gotta find a good 1 for yourself.

Personally, i think you should make a quick apperence.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 12:31 pm

iddqd wrote:

As big of a deal as Halo 3 is... how much do you care about this person?

You say that there will be "plenty" of 18ths next year, but everyone only has one. Someone else's 18th birthday won't replace their own. What does this other person think of you? Do they think of you as a friend? A good friend?

If you weren't comfortable going, if going would have been hard on you, that's one thing. If you simply don't want to go because it interferes with your ability to play Halo 3 the day it comes out...then it doesn't sound like you value them much as a friend, or a person. Even if you tell them some other reason, if they were to find out it might be quite hurtful.

There will be "plenty of 18th's next year," but there will also be plenty of time in the future for you to play Halo 3.

Like woodsman25 said, if you can at the very least make an appearance, that would probably be best.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 2:05 pm

iddqd wrote:

As an aspie, you are lucky to be invited along, many aspies have no irl friends (no that doesnt include myself, so what I am saying does involve observation). If you want to maintain a circle of friends, you have to spend time with them. I think a few hours on Halo isnt worth the problems that arise out of not going. Think about it.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 2:48 pm

Hadron wrote:
iddqd wrote:

As an aspie, you are lucky to be invited along, many aspies have no irl friends (no that doesnt include myself, so what I am saying does involve observation). If you want to maintain a circle of friends, you have to spend time with them. I think a few hours on Halo isnt worth the problems that arise out of not going. Think about it.

agreed! U can play halo all day long, but this guy only turns 18 once, if he is your friend u should go. By opinion only.

iddqd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2007, 8:15 pm

Gah... you guys are making me feel awful :cry:

He's a nice guy, in the year level above me... (that's why there will be plenty of 18th's next year) I only know him from my IT class and we've hardly ever talked. I sort of feel like he's only inviting me to get his number of guests up :? I wouldn't consider him a friend, more of an acquaintance. Plus, I'll be the only one in my year there :roll:

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 8:19 pm

You could also bring your xbox and halo 3 with you to his 18th and play halo 3 while at the party. ;-)

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 8:38 pm

Arbie wrote:
You could also bring your xbox and halo 3 with you to his 18th and play halo 3 while at the party. ;-)

Yeah. As long as you have four controllers, I doubt anyone would complain.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 10:34 pm

iddqd wrote:

He's a nice guy, in the year level above me... (that's why there will be plenty of 18th's next year) I only know him from my IT class and we've hardly ever talked. I sort of feel like he's only inviting me to get his number of guests up :? I wouldn't consider him a friend, more of an acquaintance. Plus, I'll be the only one in my year there :roll:

You shouldn't feel bad about not wanting to go. As to what to say, I have no idea.

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2007, 9:16 am

iddqd wrote:

For one thing, parties are the best occasions to make new friends.
So if you are on of those aspies who wants to increase their social circle, it's a good idea to go.