Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 8:26 pm

Well I can't say never, I did once... maybe twice.

But I can't think of a time in the last 13 years when I've had a meltdown.

It just doesn't happen... I get sensory overload from time...but I internalize more. I don't express all this emotion on the outside.

Overall I'm extremely mellow though, not much really gets to me. I rarely am impatient, worried, aggravated.

I am not sure if I have AS or not though... any other mellow non-meltdown Aspies out there?

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 8:31 pm

I had them more when I was very young than as a teenager or adult. This was back before anyone around me had any earthly idea what was going on and I actually received discipline for a few of them. My parents have told me that something as simple as rearranging the furniture would cause them when I was about 2-4. I still hate it when people do that but I can simply express it verbally in my own ornery way.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 10:04 pm

Frankly, I don't think I really had them as a kid. I think I do now. I simply say I don't handle stress well, but it is BAD!

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:16 am

I didn't think I did, then I was thinking one day, and realised that on a few occasions, I had. I shut down, internalise, and I run to somewhere quiet and isolated. It's not obvious. I think I'd kind of blanked them from my memory, because they weren't explosions, they weren't obvious to anyone (except my wife - she knew, probably before I did, she's good like that).

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:28 am

mmaestro wrote:
I didn't think I did, then I was thinking one day, and realised that on a few occasions, I had. I shut down, internalise, and I run to somewhere quiet and isolated. It's not obvious. I think I'd kind of blanked them from my memory, because they weren't explosions, they weren't obvious to anyone (except my wife - she knew, probably before I did, she's good like that).

Oh, I've done that a few times. I didn't recognize it as a melt-down... I didn't blow up... I just ran away... I couldn't take people talking anymore.

Strangely they both happened around family... one time my Mom and Sister were fighting... and I just couldn't stand it. I ran upstairs... I couldn't take all the subtle jabs at each other and terrible emotions festering.

Same thing happened recently at a hospital with my Mom and Grandpa. My Mom does not care for her father much. They get into bickering matches... actually my whole family kind of disrespects my grandfather... I find it very sad.

Anyways... my Mom was really bickering with my Grandpa... over the stupidest things. I said out loud... "one more stupid pointless argument and I'm out of there." Not 3 mins later, they start going on about something... I walk right out of the room.

I just could not stand to be in there with all that negative emotion flying around... and disregard for understanding of others.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2007, 12:46 am

At least twice a month. When I was small at least once a week, as a teen everyday.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 10:00 am

i explote usually if someone is saying me about same think about 100 times..like hoover your room :lol:

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 11:34 am

I have seen that a lot of people have written about meltdowns in here, but I'm not sure what exactly a meltdown is? So I don't know if I've had them or not.

Sometimes people write about something called "tantrum" in connection with meltdowns, what is that exactly, and what's the difference between a meltdown and a tantrum?

Regards from an unknowing newly diagnosed (shadow) aspie. :wink:

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:02 pm

AnnePande wrote:
I have seen that a lot of people have written about meltdowns in here, but I'm not sure what exactly a meltdown is? So I don't know if I've had them or not.

Sometimes people write about something called "tantrum" in connection with meltdowns, what is that exactly, and what's the difference between a meltdown and a tantrum?

Regards from an unknowing newly diagnosed (shadow) aspie. :wink:
i think the difrence is that tantrum is emonational baset meltdown and melddown can be come reasons that arent like...well lets play your parents dont let u in city so u get angry thats tantrum
but theyr difrence is very little...and meltdown it means that u get angry by someting....im not good explaining can anybody help me to explain these thinks?:D

25 Sep 2007, 1:31 pm

I think I been having meltdowns since I was 12 but I ditto.

elizabethhensley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2007, 8:04 pm

I have them quite often. I stay away from people to avoid having them around people.

Antidepressants help some. So does l tryptophan, and getting enough sleep. Unfortunately I have both central and obstructive sleep apnea.