Page 6 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 6:09 am

Private Idaho wrote:
Redxk wrote:
In general I was very careful to keep my wrists straight while in school, though, because kids would taunt me and mock me with the exaggerated limp-wristed gesture that meant they thought I was gay.
Yep I used to get that from people. When I talk I often make weird in involuntary movements with my hands and sometimes let my wrists bend down. Other kids would laugh and call me gay. No one laughs at me to my face anymore though, not that I care anyway.

I don't think I ever did too much hand flapping per se. Mostly I'm always tapping my feet and wiggling my legs.
Must be a generational thing because I never heard that at school.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 8:52 am

Very rare.

It usually happens when I'm very excited and very happy, and if overwhelmed enough by it.

But I'm rarely overwhelmed at all, let alone be overwhelmed by happiness and excitement.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2017, 7:39 pm

None, never have. I rock, shake my leg, crack my knuckles. I will rock forever. It's so small though, I don't think anyone notices, not that I would care.

Flapping seems more non-NT, while my stims are somewhat "normal" I think. But we don't really choose, do we. You get what you get.

My kid flaps. I was a little embarrassed by it at first, before I understood why. Now it's okay. I won't try to suppress it. These things are expressions.

ChickabodBrain
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

I hand flap all the time. For me, it is more when I am really excited or overstimulated. But I also have learned how to modify that behavior when I am in public. There are few people who I will hand flap around (anyone who knows that I have autism). But for the most part, if there are other people around then I tend to do more leg shaking or rocking. But also, I have started doing a lot of hand shaking (as if you were shaking the water off after you wash your hands) instead of hand flapping in public because that looks more typical and nobody questions that. You can't necessarily do that too much, but it works better than trying to hold it all in all day.

marlyn morgan
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2017, 6:43 am

LOLX ! I have a video of me doing a complete 360 degree stim with accompanying hand flapping at the alter on my wedding day in front of 400 people ! The groom kissed me before the vicar said 'and you may kiss the bride' and there i was, flap flap flapping round in a complete circle, everyone roaring with laughter. So much for the demure elegant bride in the long flowing gown ! Epic ! :heart:

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2017, 11:09 am

I never had this stim, actually. So none.

I still love toe walking, though. Apparently that's an autism thing. And I still touch cold, flat surfaces over and over because I love those textures. I also still bang my head on the pillow at night to help fall asleep. How dear husband puts up with that one, I'll never know. :)

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm

I don't hand flap at all and don't think I ever have. I do rub them together though.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 12:04 pm

Hand flapping was never one of my stims, but I have several others. None of them is really weird, so if I lose control of them in public, it usually doesn't look too weird.

Among my repertoire are knee bouncing, pen and utensil twirling, tapping fingers and/or nodding head, or moving my hand to the beat during music, and a few others. The ones during music are only a problem if the music I am listening to is just a tune running in my brain. Since my brain usually plays tunes when no other music is available, I do have to try to control this stim in public. :lol:

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:48 pm

Recently I do hand flapping A LOT. It used to be a happy stim of mine but strangely this seems to have changed. I'm really unstable these days and have had meltdowns three times this week only.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 3:03 pm

the reasons for my stims seem to kind of change and migrate, too. whether the cause is angry, happy, stressed, etc, my stims seem to migrate

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 5:43 am

I was doing this today actually. But my version is sort of flapping my fingers against my palm while moving my hand up and down. Not sure why exactly, but I was sort of uncomfortable about something at my job so that's probably it.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2017, 1:46 am

Starr wrote:
I don't hand flap. The main AS thing I do when I'm very upset is biting my lips and the inside of my mouth.

Same here as well as bouncing my legs

CrossedHannah
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2017, 5:38 am

On rare occasions, if I'm very excited or nervous I do hand flap. I don't like doing it in front of others, I try to keep my stims small or hidden in public. I prefer to rock back and forth and side to side more anyways, that is the one hard to control for me.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 5:42 pm

No, I don't flap my hands. I don't want to do anything that would make people think I'm weird. Of course, having an interest in a tennis player many people have never heard of (too bad, they should know of him) would make people think I'm weird, anyway.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 5:59 am

If I hand-flap these days, I'd break my wrists.

I don't think I hand-flapped even in my blatantly autistic days.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2017, 6:32 pm

I dont do it anymore, I havnt for years. It was something I always associated with child-like excitement.

However, my main stimmimg behaviour involves flapping-like stimulus, I twirl a kitchen utensil (a spatula, a ladel) rapidly around in my hands so the shaft twirls around. I remember doing this when I was no more than 4 years old, and I still do this decades later.

To me the two were different, but the utensil thing is pretty similar I guess. Does anybody else do weird s**t like this?