Autistics Never Living the American Dream????

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2007, 12:04 pm

I don't have any anxiety about the American Dream whatever that is supposed to be but if I am to be accurate, if I had infinite disposable income, I would probably spend it on one on one tutoring before ever owning a car. Ever since I was little, I have never wanted a car of my own.

Not all aspies are sexually deprived or feel denied of attraction. My father was inconveniently attractive to women and sometimes he would get insulted and be too abrupt about brushing people off. I think the adherence to accuracy in aspies can be a fortunate congenital characteristic in terms of not being affected or controlled by any social misconceptions about sex. My mother tried from an early age to make her children ashamed of sexuality so I made a point about being casual towards my brother and designating a privacy drawer for any adult magazines he may wish to own. I don't want him to be scared or ashamed of natural feelings. If I wasn't an aspie and if I were a lot dumber than I am, some of the things my mother told me that had nothing to do with modesty which I don't need to practice being might have really turned me into a frigid conniving unhappy person.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2007, 3:43 pm

I'd much rather achieve my own dreams, than the collective "dream" of mainstream America. Isn't that what it's really about anyway? How many people who work their butts off for a white picket fence, 2.5 children and an SUV are truly happy, compared to those who followed their passions, no matter how eccentric or impractical they may seem? How many people feel trapped, struggling to maintain an image of success and normalcy, for fear of what the neighbors may think? For fear of feeling like a failure? It reminds of the movie "American Beauty".

And for those of us who want the white picket fence and 2.5 kids, if that's what you truly want, who is to say that Aspies can't achieve it? We may have a harder time getting there, but we're not doomed. Besides, isn't Bill Gates an Aspie? I'm sure he can afford all the picket fences he wants, and I believe he's married.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2007, 4:06 pm

Hey, it appearas I'm living what she'd call the "American Dream."

I am married, have 3 kids, own my own home that I can do with what I want(within reason, there's an HOA). My husband is also on the spectrum.

Owning a home was an important step for both of us. It gives us the privacy we desired, the artistic license to do what we want with our home, and nobody teling us what we can and can't do with our home. We have a nice backyard where we can enjoy the outdoors without being around other people. We can have the pets we want too.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 1:06 pm

Not everyone wants children and not everyone wants to be married.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 2:07 pm

Many people who lived in the US have said that America is the greatest country in the world.

However...

Just like other countries that are having problems, America seems to have quite a number of problems, as well. Not only there is discrimination against people with autism, like us, but not always. Also, there's been problems involving negative peer pressure, people losing their jobs and unable to work, people not knowing where to go, some businesses becoming greedy, and just not giving a rat's tail about what other problems this and other countries have.

With all this negativity going on in America, I often ask myself, "What's so great about America, anyway?" :roll:

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 2:28 pm

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 5:08 pm

From what I've read on these forums, America sounds like a living nightmare.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 May 2017, 5:48 pm

10 year old thread

and they thought 2007 was bad :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 2:12 pm

The American Dream does not apply to me because I'm Canadian. I've never heard of "Living the Canadian Dream", or have a clue what it is. Having your own personal hockey arena with an unlimited supply of Tim Horton's Coffee and doughnuts, maybe? :P

I think we should be allowed and encouraged to follow our own individual dreams, although not all cultures believe in that, supposedly.