Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:28 am

AV-geek wrote:
I can peacefully co-exist with spiders, primarly because they are predators for much more annoying bugs, like mosquitos, flies and gnats. My only gripe about spiders is that they sometimes spin webs in inconvenient places. Across the windows is a great place, but in the middle of a doorway, or across somewhere else I must traverse is a problem.

I like frogs too. Frogs can eat lots of gnats, mosquitos, and flies too. They don't spin webs, but they can be a bit noisy at times

Totally, there was a persistent spider that always spun its web across my front gate . No matter how many times I walked into it, it still put it right in the same place (and I still walked into it). Spiders vary quite a bit in adaptability and intelligence. Not really surprising if you contrast with birds which have around 10,000 species in the order of spiders (Aranea), there are 40,000 and in the Arachnida including spiders, harvestmen, scorpions, ticks and mites there around 70,000.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 4:42 pm

I lub this girl :) :P

Her webs are, shall we say, quite expressionistic nowadays. I think because there is no wind or rain in doors, so there is little point in spending a great deal of time on a structurally strong web. I think she takes a leaf out of Jo Brand's housekeeping philosophy: 'f**k it that'll do'.

I talk to her and she acknowledges I'm there by doing a little wriggle. If I blow on her gently she goes all scrunched up :D

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2007, 5:12 pm

I LOVE spiders, especially tarantulas (chilean rose tarantula is my favourite :)
I wish i could have one, but i live with arachnophobic person... my dogs like spiders though, especially hunting them <_<"

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 5:27 pm

I had a dead tarantula as a kid that was mounted behind glass. One of its legs fell off eventually. I think I'm more interested in ambush, jumping and orb. Big hunting spider's like tarantellas just don't do it for me. I'll look more largish hunting spiders see if there are any that appeal.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 4:45 am

I've just though she has been around for ages and I haven't given her a name.

What shall I name her?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 9:18 am

Sometimes she is just hanging there on one thread. She has done since yesterday. No web.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 1:34 pm

No web again today. Weird.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 5:41 am

:(

She died sometime last night or this morning. I suppose it was inevitable sooner or later. I don't feel sad as such, more slightly numb and annoyed.

She was a character and reminded me of someone.

I definitely think I want to keep spiders now.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 9:17 am

Was VERY fortunate in witnessing the capture of a fly and its being caried off for consumption by a precious spider. Man, I do love them.

Their webs are the strongest fibre in the natural world. Can anyone vouch for this? It's a rumour I heard.......

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

25 Oct 2007, 6:52 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
:(

She died sometime last night or this morning. I suppose it was inevitable sooner or later. I don't feel sad as such, more slightly numb and annoyed.

Ah, man, I'm sorry to hear that. :( She kept you company for quite a while! Even that spider that was on my lamp (a perfect spot for continuous meals) didn't hang around that long (though I think my son kept messing with him). I wonder how long spider season is going to be here where I live (Pacific NW)? Most of the summer insects have kind of gone away (I think?) but my cabin still has very large garden spiders all over it. It being nearly November now, I didn't expect to still be seeing spiders all over the place.

Good fortune,

- Icarus mourns 0_equals_true's late flat mate...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 7:26 am

Icarus_Falling wrote:
- Icarus mourns 0_equals_true's late flat mate...

Thanks mate. Yeh it is getting pretty cold now. If there is no food for it is going to die soon or later.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 5:04 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I definitely think I want to keep spiders now.
If you do keep spiders just don't feed them toxic waste, lol (sorry, just like Eight Legged Freaks an awful lot)

Seriously though it sounds like an interesting thing to do is keep spiders, so go for it :)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years