Did doll faces bother you as a child?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 2:06 am

Yes. I was scared of Ronald McDonald too. Pure evil.

I would like to see a face off between Ronald McDonald and the Burger King to see which one is more evil.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSv4zNkFhw[/youtube]

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 2:20 am

I used to alter my Barbie dolls so they'd look like Madonna or Cyndi Lauper--- hair cuts and paint and it'd be done. I liked MY dolls, but i'd seen some dolls that just seemed kind of creepy--- as if their eyes would FOLLOW you around the room. My dolls were all rather benign.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 2:36 am

I have always loved dolls...they kept me company when I couldn't bond well with people.
I always atributed some form of consciousness to them...but in a non-creepy sort of way.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2007, 2:42 pm

Funnily enough, I love the Burger King guy. I think it's because he's supposed to be creepy. Like the commercial where the guy is in bed and he looks over and there's BK lying there looking at him. That cracks me up :lol:
Ronald McDonald, on the other hand, is NOT supposed to be creepy, and yet he so clearly IS. You're supposed to think he's a fun guy, but he's a horrible freaky clown! Every time I see him with kids in a commercial, I think the children should scream and run away.

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2007, 2:57 pm

I wasn't interested in dolls but my mother made sure that all dolls resembled me in coloring and Barbie was banned because it was considered low class and promoting prostitution.

One winter however I was absolutely disgusted by the p**** willows placed in my room. I couldn't say anything but they absolutely aesthetically disgusted and no exaggeration horrified me. I thought they were the ugliest things I had ever seen. They were particularly fat white buds as well. I didn't dare say anything because I didn't want to expose a weakness because cerisely, my parents were absolutely nuts in the way they reacted to children and their fears. No crying, no sniveling, no weird phobias allowed. So I was never afraid of the dark or believed in Santa and I knew by the way my parents would introduced a topic that they wanted to know if I had a particular typical childish irrationality on that topic and woe to me if I hadn't been the nonchild I was in my responses.

I don't fear p**** willows now. It was just that bouquet in my room that winter. She took them out when they started to fall apart but I learned to walk to my bed without looking at them. Holy cow. It was cinematic how ugly those things were.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 4:23 pm

skahthic wrote:
i'd seen some dolls that just seemed kind of creepy--- as if their eyes would FOLLOW you around the room.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1Xn3VB818[/youtube]

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 9:02 pm

one of my favorite twilight zone episodes is the one where um....the little girl has the black doll who comes to life....and she gets in trouble for playing with a little black girl, and when the mom tries to chase her off, her little girl is changed into the doll....

anyone remember that one?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 9:22 pm

Rynessa wrote:
Funnily enough, I love the Burger King guy. I think it's because he's supposed to be creepy. Like the commercial where the guy is in bed and he looks over and there's BK lying there looking at him. That cracks me up :lol:
Ronald McDonald, on the other hand, is NOT supposed to be creepy, and yet he so clearly IS. You're supposed to think he's a fun guy, but he's a horrible freaky clown! Every time I see him with kids in a commercial, I think the children should scream and run away.

Yea. Ronald McDonald is an evil clown. I think all clowns with face paint look demented though. The face paint around the mouth and eyes is what makes them look so scary. They were frightening even before Steven King came up with IT.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2007, 9:47 pm

I loved my dolls so much I used to pray to God every night that they would all come alive so I would have 10 real babies to take care of instead of having to pretend.

I am now amused by how creepy and disturbing my secret childhood fantasies were. I also asked God to give me quintuplets when I grow up. I really hope he ignored that one too.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 9:49 pm

My grandparents dolls always creeped me out.

Chuchulainn
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2007, 9:51 pm

Clowns are scary.

It doesn't help that there is a gigantic paper mache disembodied clown head in my brother's room. It's staring at me right now (shudder)

Not kidding

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 12:51 am

Never had a problem with dolls or clowns but I did know someone in college who did have a phobia of clowns.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2007, 7:30 am

My aspie daughter did that too...she said they were staring at her. I started buying her the dolls that Amish make that have no faces. She LOVED them. Try that for your niece.
I had a similar problem. Apparently, eye gaze problems can involve non-living things! ;)
Based on just that, you cannot make an assumption of autistic spectrum. However, if you provide more information...

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 11:58 am

Ronald McDonald is evil!

Robxx
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2007, 2:18 pm

Not so much dolls as the blank faces of statues.

Currently studying Philosophy and constantly seeing Ancient Greek busts with eyes but no retinas/etc freaks me out.

http://www.physics.uiowa.edu/~umallik/a ... agoras.jpg
http://www.tpaweb.org/images/socrates.jpg
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phil/forum/Plato-3.jpg

-shudder-

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2007, 2:21 pm

Scared me as a child and scare me as an adult. I'm also afraid of clowns and mascots. At Chucky E. Cheese one of those people in the costumes approached me. I kicked him or her in the shin and ran away. My great aunt made dolls for all her nieces and I hate mine! It makes my mom sad that I don't like it but she's happy to keep it for me when I'm away at the University.