Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ChristiansDad
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 10:55 am

Is it me or is the charactor of Sheldon an Aspie.

Like Routine
Very orginized. So distraought, that he cleaned up his neighbors apt while she was sleeping
Doesn't understand sarcasm
Very Analytical

Seems like most of the geniuses on the show are aspies.

I still belive Sponge Bob is an Aspie too. LOL

Let meknow what you think.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 12:13 pm

He's a total Aspie. It's like the writers looked up Asperger Syndrome and gave him every stereotype there is. I agree that the 4 genius guys on the show have a ton of Aspie traits, but Sheldon is definitely the most Aspie of them all. My husband and I really enjoy the show. :D

02 Oct 2007, 1:21 pm

Who's Sheldon?

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 3:58 pm

He's a character on a new sitcom on CBS called "The Big Bang Theory".

Here's the Wikipedia article about the show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_Theory_%28TV_series%29

Aerin
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2007, 1:59 am

I love that show. Those guys all have aspie traits. It's like they took the ultimate aspie and split him in four: Sheldon with the obsessive cleanliness and literalness, Raj with the total inability to communicate with women, Howard has all those languages memorized and insists on using them, and then Leonard is just socially awkward. Leonard tries the most, but the others really drag him down. I really liked the last episode where they were trying to improve on the entertainment cabinet for Penny. I think the show will be prematurely cancelled, but I will get it on DVD if and when it ends. I think it could have a similar effect as the Spiderman comics. Peter Parker used so many scientific terms and stayed at a high level of intellegence as a written out superhero that reading the comics actually helped some kids read better and be generally more informed. I'm just glad to hear things I understand on TV, instead of just fashion stuff and dating scenarios.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 2:07 am

You're totally right that they seem to have taken the ultimate Aspie and split him in four. I also think that the show probably won't last, which is quite unfortunate because it's hilarious.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2007, 2:45 am

It just looks like such a terrible show though.

Aerin
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2007, 3:10 am

Joybob wrote:
It just looks like such a terrible show though.

Have you watched it? I didn't want to watch it because of the title, I figured that the TV network was going to make it all about sex. Fortunately, it is not focused on sex, but rather getting the girl across the hall to like hanging out with a bunch of physists. My dad doesn't like it too much, but he's not much of a science guy and misses some of the jokes. He should probably have helped my more with my homework in high school.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

20 Oct 2007, 2:32 pm

I don't know the various characters' names, but I just saw some clips from this show for the first time--wow! Looks like there's something decent on television! The only complaint I have is that the laugh track is annoying.

I do see evidence of aspieness. They stim a lot. In this clip they discuss the "protocol for leaving." If I had a nickel for every time I wonder that, myself....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHCtkFlcvUk[/youtube]

Then here we see rigidity and the importance of routine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8P0YmgQTbA[/youtube]

Last edited by gwenevyn on 20 Oct 2007, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kijana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2007, 6:32 pm

Sheldon is listed as possibly having OCD on Wikipedia.... But Yeah he stuck out as an Aspie to me.... at the very least having OCD

Aerin
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2007, 7:25 pm

In the last episode, Sheldon's mom had to help him out. The things she said were just like what my parents did when I was little, like you have to take your time with him and comparing him to a timid deer, "don't spook him", she told his friends. I also like how she said his mind came from Jesus and she was glad her other kids were as dumb as stumps. My mom really liked that episode. I just think the whole show is hilarious. :D

gitchel
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2007, 1:04 pm

You can watch all the back episodes for free at the CBS website. I buy them for 2 bucks apiece on iTunes so I can carry them around on my iPod and listen to the dialog over and over ;-)

I do love the writing on this show. Very tight, lots of obcure references, odd jokes, clever loogic...almost like it was written FOR Aspies! :-D

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 11:00 pm

ChristiansDad wrote:
Is it me or is the charactor of Sheldon an Aspie.

Like Routine
Very orginized. So distraought, that he cleaned up his neighbors apt while she was sleeping
Doesn't understand sarcasm
Very Analytical

Seems like most of the geniuses on the show are aspies.

I still belive Sponge Bob is an Aspie too. LOL

Let meknow what you think.

i think it's hilarious. i have some of the same habbits (with sitting and what not...very idiosyncratic).

at the same tiime, i think he's a slight exaggeration...which could just be easily explained as that because of his high intellegence and that's it's worked for him, he hasn't had a need to turn down on his quirks.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 1:35 am

okay...i'm convinced...big bang theory is aspie comedy. i find myself laughing at parts that the audience isn't laughing at because they haven't gotten it yet.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 3:16 am

For some reason I thought the previews were horrid but now it's my second favorite sitcom this season (after How I met Your Mother) I also think it's cool that they've had 3 actors from Roseanne on so far.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 9:26 pm

TheBladeRoden wrote:
For some reason I thought the previews were horrid but now it's my second favorite sitcom this season (after How I met Your Mother) I also think it's cool that they've had 3 actors from Roseanne on so far.

i thought the show looked stupid too but i was bored and gave it a shot and i really gotta say...it almost seems like the target audience is more towards the aspie side of things. some of it is heavy-handed like the doppler effect....but overall really good.