[b]Whats social anxiety or social phobia like for you?[/b]

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 6:53 pm

It's like being covered in a blanket that suffocates but it's too heavy to lift off.

:cry:

Rusty1981
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 8:36 pm

its like"Im not supposed to be here...Your not welcome we don't know you..."

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 3:27 pm

Age1600 wrote:
For me social anxiety or phobia is like being a Chiuahaha surrounded by tons of Mastiffs... :roll:

Of all the ones people have listed, I like this comparison best. I think I'm slightly ess socially phobic now that I understand the REASON I dislike it is really because I don't know what to say, am bored by it, and don't want to make a fool of myself. That takes away some of the raw fear/panic I used to feel. That's just one way figuring out that I probably have AS has helped me! (Not that I don't still avoid social situations whenever possible!)

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 5:31 am

It's (often literally!) like everyone else is standing in a circle & I'm on the outside of it listening & peering over people's shoulders but unable to actually become a part of it.

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2007, 2:46 pm

I think its kinda like when you have peanut butter on the roof of your mouth. Its bothering the heck out of you but you just can't make it go away. I also have out of body experiences allot in public places.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 2:49 pm

It's like suddenly you're aware of every flaw in yourself, and the more awkward you get the more everyone notices. When I get social phobia I have to take control of the situation or I'll be sufficated by it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 4:40 pm

For me it's not really fear as much as a feeling of being too tense to function. I feel physically uncomfortable when standing in a crowded place. My posture will feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel like I don't know where to put my hands. Also I will sometimes sweat or feel hot for no reason.

I also find that any amount of tension or discomfort makes it difficult for me to function socially. I must be totally relaxed to function at all. Some settings like crowded rooms or bars with loud music I can never fully relax. I also can't talk easily when I'm physically exerting myself (hiking, working out, walking briskly) like other's can

Quirky_Girl72
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2007, 5:20 pm

It feels like everything is closing in around you. I start sweating and become very hot. I cannot breathe, since I think there is a lack of oxygen, and I feel like I am going to pass-out at any second! It is one of the scariest feelings in the world