Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dizzy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2004, 11:37 pm

*IEP = Individual Education Plan

I will prob. be attending my IEP meeting sometime during this upcoming fall and I'm unsure what to expect. Will all of my courses teachers (11 of them) have to attend the meeting? What will be discussed? Thanks.

D-R-J
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2004, 2:19 am

Dizzy wrote:
*IEP = Individual Education Plan

I will prob. be attending my IEP meeting sometime during this upcoming fall and I'm unsure what to expect. Will all of my courses teachers (11 of them) have to attend the meeting? What will be discussed? Thanks.

Most of the time its just your homeroom teacher.

Dizzy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2004, 2:08 pm

I don't have a homeroom teacher. Does this mean none of my teachers will have to attend?

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Aug 2004, 2:52 pm

At least one of your teachers will probably go. Homeroom teachers don't exist as much anymore (thats old skool man) so don't worry about that. The guidance counselor and your resource teacher will probably attend if you have one.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2004, 5:04 pm

They didn't have any of that stuff when I was in school. They had aids that followed the LD students around to their classes and help them out, put we were all pretty much stuck in the same class.

The only thing I ever experienced that could be called "IE" was my 7th and 8th grade PE classes. My 6th grade PE teacher called up my mom just before my 6th grade year ended in May 1992, and told my mom that my physical abilities were far lacking for that of a 12 year old male and that I would not make it in a regular gym class setting in Jr High. Therefore I was enrolled in "Adaptive Phy Ed". The focus of the class was to do things to build up the physical strength and cordination skills of it's enrolled students. In the class it was me and four other guys who all had problems like me.

I thought that I had death sentence on my hand if the other kids found out exactly what my gym class was, once in February 1993, I was asked by another student in a tech class who saw my schedule what the title of my gym class meant. For a rare moment (at least for me), my brain didn't freeze up and I came up with the excuse that I was in this class since they ran out of room in all the other gym classes, and I was in this one as it was made up to handle any overflow from any of the other classes. And somehow, my little story passed off as plausible and I never asked the question again.

And also I sorta became envied becasue I got to do all the "fun" things like lifting weights, and throwing baseballs and footballs around, while the other classes were doing a jump rope unit.

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2004, 12:26 am

It depends. I only had IEP's in High School. When I had my IEP's, the people that were there were me, my parents, the LD teacher, my guidance counselor, one of the regular ed teachers (whichever one they picked), and sometimes the school psychologist. My IEP was in the springtime, so what we discussed were goals that i would accomplish over the year, what my grades have been so far, what my workload would be for the next year, etc. I don't know what grade you're going into, but once you get into your junior and senior year, you start talking about college and future plans. I know that once you turn 18, the IEP deal goes a whole new route for everybody. But you don't have to worry about that probably for a while.

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Aug 2004, 8:35 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
And also I sorta became envied becasue I got to do all the "fun" things like lifting weights, and throwing baseballs and footballs around, while the other classes were doing a jump rope unit.

Jump roping is awesome. Don't diss the jump rope.