Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 4:24 pm

I have an area of my lawn that grows like it's on steroids. It grows like 10 times fast and as full as other areas of the lawn. When I try to mow it with my gas-powered push-mower, it'll stall at least twice per pass. My guess is that the grass isn't being ejected from the side of the mower because the very bottom of the grass is wet not to mention the inherent wetness of the grass itself, the ejection slot tends to get gummed up thereby keeping the blade from making a full revolution stalling the mower.

Anyway, is there any way I can prop the flap to the ejection slot up so that it more easily discharges the grass clippings?

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 4:37 pm

I used to have that problem with an electric lawn mower with no flaps. I solved it by spraying the underside of the mower with WD-40 before I mowed. It stayed clear for about an hour of mowing before I had to respray. It was easier to clean afterward, too.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 6:45 pm

With the lawnmowers I have used, you could usually buy a side discharge chute if there was an opening for one.

You could either; bungee cord it open, remove it or the spring that closes it, or tie it open somehow.
You want to be careful if you have rocks in the path you are mowing.
With this door open, they can get flung out pretty fast. The rocks can hit someone or something that you really don't want them to hit.

I find that for our wet grass season, I adjust the mower higher so I'm not cutting so much in one pass.

03 Oct 2007, 7:18 pm

Is that area of your lawn near a garden?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 8:07 pm

Nope. It's on a slope of the property. I think that's where the septic tank is.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 8:29 pm

Grass is always greener over the septic tank...same problem here. :wink:

See if you can fit it with a side chute...should help your problem...when you hear it start to slow down and bog...push down on the handle enough to raise up the front wheels, lower and repeat if need be, just a gentle "bounce" motion. Many times that will dislodge the grass so that you can continue.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 8:36 pm

Heres a solution, get rid of your lawn. Its too much responsibility and costs too much energy and time. Stones/sand looks better anyway, trust me.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 4:14 am

username88 wrote:
Heres a solution, get rid of your lawn. Its too much responsibility and costs too much energy and time. Stones/sand looks better anyway, trust me.

Getting rid of the grass is one of my ultimate life's goals!

Instead of just planting rocks though, you might look for native ground cover for your area.
There are some that make a nice cover under foot, and require less maintenance than the traditional American lawn.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 8:13 pm

Do you have the mower height from front to back adjusted so that the blade is level or tilted downward on the front a tiny bit?

Having a tilt so that the front is higher will bog the mower.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 9:27 pm

yuh, the height is at the max.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 5:25 am

I have the same problem with my mower--- the grass literally is near to my knees in a week! And the mower stalls out and I gotta keep starting it and it's hard pulling that damn cord. I hate it. I don't want to spend $$$ on a lawn service when i own a mower and $$$ is tight. I hate grass. I just want to kill it all with a GIANT container of grass/weed killer.