Are you tolerant of people who aren't like you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 8:13 am

I'm afraid I'm not particularly tolerant. But if someone's rude behaviour annoys me, such as pushing in front of me in a queue, I'll come right out and challenge them.

I am pretty intolerant of submissive people who are totally incapable of saying what they really think and just let people take advantage of them because they are too afraid of conflict.

(If they are a friend of mine, I may stick up for them, but then get impatient with them when they are uncomfortable with that!)

That may not make me sound like a very nice person, but I was brought up to believe that I needed to "push myself forward" all the time if I ever wanted to get anywhere.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 8:20 am

Yeah.

Before high school, I liked everyone; after, I hated everyone.

Now, I'm apathetic to it all.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 8:26 am

I don't like people who are like me, so I am trying to change.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Oct 2007, 8:51 am

I'm much more tolerant when I'm not eating gluten. I bumble about like a NT , relatively accepting of most people , if not exactly excited about them!!
Whereas on gluten I can hardly bear anybody. Most people just seem to have such stupid ideas, and do things so inefficiently and without thinking of better ways it could be done, or whether it even really needs doing at all. ! !!
On gluten am master of thinking there's almost no point in doing anything which is not immediately satisfying, like reading or thinking or something. Washing up goes by the board.

copernilol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2007, 8:58 am

Half half, with many things I am, but with others I'd prefer that person died immediately.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 1:46 pm

I am tolerant of any living being that would not insist on bothering me even if given the chance.

Bolle47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2007, 2:05 pm

Inventor wrote:
I don't like people who are like me, so I am trying to change.

I don't like people who share the same bad qualities as I do. I get easily annoyed with them.
I don't like people who get offended for no reason, but then again thats pretty much who I am

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 7:47 pm

I have a hard time with people who have a generally negative outlook on life.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 8:31 pm

Hmm.

Mostly I see people, IRL, as objects. They're basically furniture to me until they speak to me. Sometimes even then they are regarded as furniture. I simply don't want to talk, so I simply do not. It's just not within me at that moment. Other times, I do fine.

Now I mention that because how I feel at a particular moment is what my tolerance hinges on. If I'm feeling particularly receptive to the human race at a given moment, I can accept differences. What I am deeply troubled by is contradiction, stupidity, extreme viewpoints (particularly right wingers), extremely religious people who feel the need to force their beliefs on me or incessantly talk of them in my presence, and people who are not in touch with reality (i.e. smokers who think cigarettes aren't dangerous, so they smoke around their kids, etc.).

Otherwise, I tolerate most differences as-needed.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 11:50 pm

Kitsy wrote:
Are you? If you are do you get dissappointed when others don't tolerate you?

Yes I am tolerant of others who are different from me. All I ask is that they let me freely pursue my goals and my personal autonomy and that they give others the same kind of freedoms that they themselves enjoy. Other than that, I wouldn't care whether they were a right-wing redneck, left-wing, who they bow down to at the altar or who their significant other is.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Oct 2007, 12:01 am

sometimes. if i have the energy. but mostly i am pretty intolerant.

i also have a lot less patience for people who i feel "should" know better.

like, overtly and overly stupid&mean people are easier to shrug off. because of course they are to be pitied! oh! those poor things just don't know any better.

but i hate when people THINK they know you, but obviously DO NOT, because they do the pissing contest of, "i am more sick than you because i was raped more times or bullied more, or whatever."

because that is NoT logicial to one such AS me.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 12:11 am

I'm pretty tolerant, in an indifferent sort of way. I like watching people from afar and trying to understand them from a scientific standpoint, but I don't care to interact with too many. As for the people I do interact with IRL, I try to withhold judgement. I just decide how much time I want to spend around them and how much I want to let my guard down based on how they make me feel and how much we have in common. I really don't care what other people do unless it effects me directly.