Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

QueenJaneApproximately
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2007, 11:18 pm

I'm just starting to learn about Gnostic Christianity, and I'm finding it very interesting. I was wondering if there are any Gnostic Christians on here that would be able to talk to me more about the beliefs.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 12:56 am

i'm not a gnostic christian (obviously) but the sect in general seems very interesting. seems a lot more pure than the american christians or the catholics. though i don't know much about the greek orthodox so i don't know if maybe it's more similar to that or not.

but the general story is that they're sects who read and studied books that weren't approved of by the constantine christians so the gnostics were persecuted and almost all of the books destroyed, right? like the books of thomas and mary.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 2:40 am

Several branches of the Rastafarian faith draw heavily on the gnostic line through the connections to modern Coptic Christianity.
I read some books, have had some conversations... don't know much... peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Oct 2007, 5:14 pm

The Gnostics died out long ago with the exception of the Mandeans in the Kurdistan region of Iraq (and they accept John the Baptist and reject Jesus). Any other modern Gnostics are engaged in reconstruction.

Cheers,

Mark

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 9:35 pm

nominalist wrote:
The Gnostics died out long ago with the exception of the Mandeans in the Kurdistan region of Iraq (and they accept John the Baptist and reject Jesus). Any other modern Gnostics are engaged in reconstruction.

Cheers,

Mark

this is true, they were almost all executed in a mass religious genocide. but that's christianity for you...one genocide after another.

this is also why atheism didn't surface until recent years...after such oppression had died down.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Oct 2007, 9:58 am

i like reading the apocryphal books, and generally think they make more sence than the books that made it in but i dont consider myself to belong to any religion