Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 6:29 am

Today was visit number 4 in our evaluation process. I dont know what the normal length of time is but I have a feeling ours is taking a longer than normal time. I guess its because my son has a colourful medical history. I know his team of experts are being very thorough, but its frustrating. I have found the whole process exhausting, all the questions. I have come home somedays unsure of things, I have found that due to some of the questions asked I have looked closer at some of his behaviours ( behaviours that I'd just accepted as him)
perhaps certain behaviours weren't "normal". Any way as exhausting as it has been and as frustrated as I am maybe maybe I will finally have some answers and some help. The doc tells me today that she has finished all the autism stuff she now wants to look at the adhd stuff. Hmmmm.... I will have to wait till it's all over for their final report. Hopefully not to much longer. I know it may sound silly but I need an answer so I can just get on with it... parenting that is. Life has sorta been taken up by this evaluation.. Its time again soon I hope to get it all back to our version of normal. I hope I havent bored any one I just needed to vent a little sorry. :oops:

ster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 10:28 am

waiting for an eval & the reccomendations can be nerve-wracking. so hard because you just dont know what to do.....hope the eval results come in soon. we waited 10 weeks for our sons results and 4 weeks for our daughtere

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:12 pm

When my daughter was diagnosed as classically autistic, we were told it was rare, especially for girls. A few years later, it seemed like autistic and aspy evaluations were handed out like popcorn. Then recently, I'm finding kids who are clearly on the spectrum beiing given a different label and the parents are confused as to why they won't evaluate their kids as aspy or autistic.

I asked a teacher about this and she said that some people on high feel that they'd have better luck giving the kids a non autiistic evaluation because they haven't had much success with knowing the right ways to teach people on the spectrum.

Strange.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2007, 3:16 pm

Don't worry about it too much, sometimes it takes longer, depending on his history, but also other cases. If there are other difficult cases it may take longer to get all of the reports back. Don't dwell on a diagnosis so much, it's just an explanation, and wont change who your son is.

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 7:44 pm

Glad the actual evaluation is over. Try to stay calm and continue doing the best you can for your son. Feel free to vent, I haven't been kicked off...Yet!1

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2007, 12:13 am

OregonBecky wrote:
Then recently, I'm finding kids who are clearly on the spectrum beiing given a different label and the parents are confused as to why they won't evaluate their kids as aspy or autistic.

I asked a teacher about this and she said that some people on high feel that they'd have better luck giving the kids a non autiistic evaluation because they haven't had much success with knowing the right ways to teach people on the spectrum.

Strange.

I have a feeling that it has more to do with the availability of funding/services, because an autism dx carries a lot more services.