05 Oct 2007, 3:43 pm

I think she has it lol.

She sure meets the criteria for it lol. Here's why:

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction,
as manifested by at least two of the following:

1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviours such
as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures
to regulate social interaction;

I don't believe so but how would I know if she meets that part or not. I can't read body language myself very well or don't understand it.

2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental
level;

Yep. No friends, is by herself even though she has employees and servants but those aren't peers. They're her workers.

3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests or
achievments with other people (eg: by a lack of showing, bringing,
or pointing out objects of interest to other people);

Defently. She is not interested in other people and cares about them and she is only into herself.

4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity.

I'd say yes because she doesn't care about other people so she will not respond to their emotions appropiataly and I don't think she is very social except when it comes to business.

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behaviour, interests,
and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and
restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity
or focus;

Yes. She is obsessed with fur and is obsessed with spots in 102 Dalmatians.

2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines
or rituals;

Yes. She wants everything her way.

3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (eg: hand or finger
flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements);

No

4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

No

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social,
occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

I'd say so.

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language
(eg: single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by
age 3 years).

I don't think she had a speech delay unless she had hearing loss or was born deaf or had another medical problem that would cause her to be speech delayed.

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in
the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behaviour
(other than social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in
childhood.

Yes.

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental
Disorder, or Schizophrenia.

Yes. She isn't a schizo and she doesn't have Rhett's or childhood dingintive dysfuntion and she doesn't meet the autistic criteria.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:45 pm

I think she's just a psycho.

Aerin
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2007, 3:13 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I think she's just a psycho.

I agree, I think she is simply a crazy cartoon villian who wants to skin puppies. Maybe in the live-action movie she had more caracter development, but I only watched it fo the puppies so I don't remember :lol:

17 Jan 2009, 5:04 pm

*bump*

moonlightwhisp
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2009, 6:08 pm

I don't really see the AS in her. It seems more like she has antisocial personality disorder to me.

17 Jan 2009, 7:54 pm

It's a joke. Look at the criteria and the explanation for each part. Just shows how bull DSM criterias are.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 8:02 pm

I know of an aspie woman who captures cats in a special trap outside her house, then a mysterious van comes and collects them. I dont think they actually get made into fur-coats though.

moonlightwhisp
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2009, 8:39 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
It's a joke. Look at the criteria and the explanation for each part. Just shows how bull DSM criterias are.

Oh... Lol. That went straight over my head... Sorry. :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:30 pm

You IDIOTS! You FOOLS! You IMBECILES!... - Cruella DeVille...;)

Nope, just incredibly ego-centric, a bad 'guy' from Central Casting...;)

Cruella
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm

I'm resurrecting a topic of 2007 - 2009, because this page continually pops up in my search engines and folks shouldn't vote on what they're not familiar with or can't remember.

I vote yes. There are several different versions of Cruella, and all hint at it. Intentionally? Nah. But overall, looking at her like one would a real person? Sure. Cruella has multiple disorders. This is fact. In the original book, she had pica (disorder of eating non-food, she drank ink). She had symptoms of anxiety that turned into a full-on type of panic disorder in the live-action sequel, caused by harmfully and ultimately uselessly replacing her fur obsession with a fur aversion. She sometimes becomes delusional and hallucinatory to varying extents in all versions. She's obviously bipolar. I'm not even going to touch on her villainy, whatever textbooks say. She is descended of humans and demons, and her demon ancestry gets mixed up with her neuroses by authority figures who make her life harder in the process.

Being disabled in one way does not cancel out being disabled in another, and I do think she is autistic. The most obvious hint is that she "lives for furs, worships furs" in her most famous versions. She is always obsessed with fashion. She is most remembered for her obsession with fur and dalmatian spots. Because this is not a stereotypical autistic interest and because Cruella is femme, this is overlooked.

Some odder hints:

She smokes all sorts of substances. It's known that weed in particular can help a number of autistic people, and Cruella is experimental enough that she probably stumbled upon this in regards to just herself without being diagnosed.

A very forgotten trait Cruella has is fluency in nonverbal languages, even Morse Code. Cruella is rich. If she wanted to speak to Deaf or mute people without learning nonverbal languages, that wouldn't have been impossible. She chose to learn nonverbal communication. Why would she choose to? Perhaps she used to have nonverbal moments and perhaps she continues to.

Cruella's friends are all quirky, quiet, or both. They're quite a varied lot in every version, but they all speak her "language" to some extent even if they're neurotypical themselves. The 1961 animated movie showed the least of this. However, even Anita is shy and reserved. Cruella is loud and brash, but they were school friends and couldn't have been friends for no reason. Anita is neurotypical, but that doesn't mean she can't understand a lot about Cruella better than most people can.

By the way, another one of Cruella's obsessions IS Anita. Cruella is lonely. Anita is one of her only friends in the world and often seems to be her only female friend.

In the animated versions, Cruella walks with a minor hunch as a result of wearing fur coats so much. A lot of autistic people walk with minor hunches due to being absorbed in interests that one way or another could involve hunched posture.

The TV series version of Cruella is past her fur obsession and no longer smokes as much, but she still comes across as autistic to me. Too many hints to start, and she still has the minor hunch which became second nature to her even years after she stopped wearing coats every single day. The TV series gives her the most interaction of any version, due to time total. She's a socially inept person, but oh lord, she tries.

Oh, yes, and in most versions, she sometimes doesn't know what phrases mean and is genuinely worried when she doesn't know what phrases mean. She also is concerned when she doesn't follow conversations. She's often an awkward duck in general, even if she's not saying something.

She is driven by impulse and is not much of a schemer, unlike most villains. That's a sign of many things, autism among them.

When she is not a villain (sequel to the original book, parts of the movie sequels, and parts of the TV series; she's a sometimes-antagonist sometimes-nuisance sometimes-neutral sometimes-protagonist in the TV series), she is as eccentric and socially odd as ever. I love that. Her neuroses are not the same as her evil streak, and that's proof.

I know I'm forgetting plenty.

Was Cruella written to be autistic? No, she was written to have ambiguous disorders. Would she be autistic if she were a real person? Oh hell yes.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:02 pm

I think she has some kind of rare neurodevelopmental disorder that causes autistic and psychopathic traits. She only got into fights to protect herself and her friends from bullies, but was suspended from corrupted school so many times for that, and she got no help to the point where she started to commit crimes, and has no choice, because she is homeless and developmentally delayed. She then became depressed and a psychopath, because she got so angry that her narcissistic biological mother killed her step mother she dearly loves, and she started to commit crimes as a revenge, and was being mean to her friends.

I know that what she did is wrong, if she got her help for her atypical development and the school tried to help her if she became violent, all of this would not happen as much, because she was not violent for no reason, she was just protecting herself and her friends form being bullied at school.

Children bullied her, because she met some diagnostic criteria A and B for Autism Spectrum Disorder.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 5:28 pm

Please tell me I don't have to feel sympathetic for a fictional cartoon woman who kills innocent puppies for their fur.

Besides, if any Disney character behaves like a female aspie, it's Ariel. Not being interested in her own world, collecting things based on her special interest, hanging out with animals instead of her own kind, refusing to follow social norms, I can so relate to that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:10 am

I think Cruella de Ville is a fictional live-action character portrayed by talented actors (Glenn Close & Emma Stone), or portrayed as a fictional animated character (voiced by Susanne Blakeslee) in a cartoon movie.

Fictional characters, by definition, are not real; so any symptoms they may display are not to be taken seriously.