Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 4:05 pm

I find these feral children/adult stories psychologically fascinating

ARTICLE HERE

The fact she disappeared when she was 8 and has in the 18 years since become almost 100% feral would suggest that maybe later childhod years are just as important in terms of language aquisition and behavioural learning.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 5:44 pm

Interesting what you said about language Grael. What they have found especially from feral humans that disappeared in childhood is that 8 years is about the cut of point. They used to think that language is purely passed down from parent to child this isn't the case. There is a part of the brain that is dedicated to syntax, in other words the structure of sentences. Intelligent animals like parrots and dolphins can understand word associations and even combine some words. They even have been able to understand the significance of order in some cases. But unlike humans they can form structured sentences. What if a child did not learn to speak before are 8-9 they have old been able to teach the child sentence and they will never be able to. The reason is that part of the brain is fused about that age. Before then it is developing. Children learn new languages faster, but they can also forget them and also loose the syntax capability. I used to speak Portuguese apparently. I can’t speak a single word now.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2007, 6:15 pm

me too I love this stuff.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 6:43 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Interesting what you said about language Grael. What they have found especially from feral humans that disappeared in childhood is that 8 years is about the cut of point. They used to think that language is purely passed down from parent to child this isn't the case. There is a part of the brain that is dedicated to syntax, in other words the structure of sentences. Intelligent animals like parrots and dolphins can understand word associations and even combine some words. They even have been able to understand the significance of order in some cases. But unlike humans they can form structured sentences. What if a child did not learn to speak before are 8-9 they have old been able to teach the child sentence and they will never be able to. The reason is that part of the brain is fused about that age. Before then it is developing. Children learn new languages faster, but they can also forget them and also loose the syntax capability. I used to speak Portuguese apparently. I can’t speak a single word now.

It is something I am interested in researching. Already read a lot on feral children. I forget the name of the best known so-called wild child...she was kept chained up in a room for the longest time?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 8:33 pm

One of the first cases of autism described was that of a feral child called Victor the Wild Boy of Aveyron. He was found living in the woods of Aveyron, France, in the 18th century. Of course it was unclear whether being feral caused him to behave like an autisic person or if he had autism before he became feral.

When I was a kid, I wanted to run away and live in the woods like the boy in the book, My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

QueenJaneApproximately
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2007, 10:07 pm

I remember seeing a documentary about a feral child who'd been living among dogs in the Ukraine. What was interesting about her was that she exhibited lots of the social behaviors of dogs and was completely at ease understanding and responding to dog social cues. However, she was quite fearful of other humans. She basically saw herself as another dog.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

06 Oct 2007, 2:20 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
When I was a kid, I wanted to run away and live in the woods like the boy in the book, My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

I had the exact same dream, inspired by the same book!

It's still my backup plan, in case my life goes to hell. To live or die in the forest, in the mountains.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 5:40 am

Interesting.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

09 Oct 2007, 10:55 pm

I have seen a documentry about a man who CHOSES to live with wolves. Different situation to this I think...but this article was very interesting.
Very interesting that after living feral that her speech went away. It could be that she just choses not to speak like a human anymore and has aquired animal behaviors and decided that they were better suited to her :lol:
If she was around humans still, such as picking up rice from the ground etc...she still would have heard humans speak, and would have had the opportunity to speak I am guessing.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:29 am

It's like the 13 year oodl they rescued eyars ago. her parents had just left her in a corner without light, never talked to her, and threw food at her.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:42 am

GENIE

This one?
Had a movie based on this case.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:54 am

Oh LOL. I didn't notice that at the bottom it mentioned her. yeah, I saw a thing on her.

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2007, 1:28 pm

Picture of her here: http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/wild-again/

I can't help thinking she looks like "one of us" to me...

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 1:10 am

There's was an X-Files episode very much like this . . . was it called the Jersey Devil? Argh, I can't remember. I used to be obsessed with the x-files too. *prods brain with a spork*

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2007, 6:56 am

Graelwyn wrote:
GENIE

This one?
Had a movie based on this case.

Back in the nineties Nova (A science show on PBS) had a documentary about her. She is now 50.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 9:25 am

Yes! She got away. Take that! Human culture.

Farley Mowat lived with wolves. He tried to observe without affecting them, they came and watched him. After they figured out he was not a danger, they were good neighbors, and worked toward being friends.

He was the Naturalist, but they were taking notes and making a study of a human who let them.

The grey wolf is very intelligent, social, and lives mostly on mice. They eat the old, injured, or sick of larger animals. Everything dies, and there have been reports of a deer with a broken leg calling the wolves.

Life existed long before humans.