Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Dave089
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm

Usually when i even attempt to pay attention to people i always notice small peculiar things that lead me to suspect possible mental illness or disorder. For instance, if im caught up in learning about a condition such as bipolarism (or even AS) I'll always notice things that will automatically lead me to suspect that they have the condition. After a while though, I realize that im probably over reacting and jsut tend to ignore it.

Is it just me or do other people share this same experience?

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 11:15 pm

Some of us (myself included) have a tendency to over-analyze everything, especially if it's an obsession. We also look for patterns in general, so it makes sense that you might look for patterns of certain behaviors in other people. The fact that you know you might be over-reacting shows that you have a good head on your shoulders. I am obsessed with psychology too, and I do the same thing you're describing.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 11:17 pm

Dave089 wrote:
Usually when i even attempt to pay attention to people i always notice small peculiar things that lead me to suspect possible mental illness or disorder. For instance, if im caught up in learning about a condition such as bipolarism (or even AS) I'll always notice things that will automatically lead me to suspect that they have the condition. After a while though, I realize that im probably over reacting and jsut tend to ignore it.

In terms of trying to take some information with a certain perspective and having that color my view of things to the point of overanalyzing, yes I have done this. I don't think this is restricted to Aspies. I am sure a lot of NTs do this as well.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 11:40 pm

I also read a lot about psychology and tend to over-analyze. My dad's a psychology professor. He told me that it is common for psych students to start wanting to diagnose everybody with something. Here's the catch, though (don't mean to be condescending, if you already know this). In order to be diagnosed with a psychological disorder, the symptoms have to be causing "significant impairment or distress" in more than one of the following: work, school, family, or social life. This is supposed to refer to things like losing jobs AND losing friends or being rejected by your family, etc. But it's being interpreted a little more loosely these days. Anyway, I think it's fun to analyze people, as long as you're aware that it's a recreational activity, as opposed to a way to pass judgement.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 12:36 am

Yeah, what EvilKimEvil said. Took psych in college. I realize that there are some criteria that go into diagnosis and that most disorders are just extreme versions of normal instincts, behaviors, etc., so most people will exhibit some traits of most things. The impairment part is therefore necessary for assessment.

But yeah, we are overly-analytical. See my signature. 8)

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2007, 12:52 am

Yeah, I've been telling this guy that he may have AS (he has OCD and other things) and I've been seeing it in a lot of other people.

It's kind of a joke with my wife now that I'll say "could be an Aspie" about anyone I see who displays even a passing resemblance to the symptoms.

My mother-in-law, when she was diagnosed with diabetes saw everyone as being potentially diabetic. She'd tell us all to get a blood test if we were tired or run down... Or hungry.

So I guess it's not just an AS trait, as my mother-in-law is an NT... Then again, now that I think about, she "could be an Aspie!"

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 2:22 am

Dave089 wrote:

I think that's called the "medicine student syndrome", don't know if that's the right term in english. It happens to medicine students than when they read about a disease, think they have it.

:)
bye

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 5:10 am

I have a tendency to over analyse people big time!! I also notice irritating habits which drives me insane. Yes I'm very quick to jump to the conclusion "ooh I'm sure they have tourettes, or he has ADHD"

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:35 am

computerlove wrote:
Dave089 wrote:

I think that's called the "medicine student syndrome", don't know if that's the right term in english. It happens to medicine students than when they read about a disease, think they have it.

:)
bye

What you just mentioned sounds more like Hypochondria.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:50 am

BTW, I don't think I over analyse, though I do think a lot of people on here do. You have no idea how annoying it is to see people saying that Doctor House or some other person the poster happens to admire diagnosing them as having AS or Autism. Next thing you know they'll be claiming Edith Piaf or Leonardo da Vinci.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:06 am

I don't know about all or most aspies, but I know I tend to analyze people like that, to the point where whatever they're saying to me is going in one ear and out the other. Definitely always trying to place some kind of label on their behavior, too. Weather it be a disorder name or just something like "attention seeker" or "people pleaser"...

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:08 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I think it's fun to analyze people, as long as you're aware that it's a recreational activity, as opposed to a way to pass judgement.

Haha, I'm so glad someone else finds over analyzing to be a recreational activity too<3