Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2007, 2:48 am

Apparently, AS individuals don't get 'stage fright' when speaking to an audience, is this NOT the case for anyone out there?

Does anyone find that when giving a speech, looking at people causes them to panic and forget what they were supposed to say? :oops:

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2007, 5:18 am

who said people with AS don't get stage fright??

I couldn't find myself up on stage giving a speech right now. As a matter of fact, in school, one teacher decided to grade on social skills. I wrote a speech that was supposed to be spoken in front of class but instead of doing that i just handed it to her. Even though she liked the speech she gave me a C :roll:

Everyone has their different "quirks". Some people can address a room full of people gracefully while some panic.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 5:23 am

pixie-bell wrote:
Apparently, AS individuals don't get 'stage fright' when speaking to an audience, is this NOT the case for anyone out there?

Does anyone find that when giving a speech, looking at people causes them to panic and forget what they were supposed to say? :oops:

In my case no, as long as I have a decent speech or something I dont mind going out and saying it.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:17 am

One of the most nerve wracking things I have ever had to do was give an oral report in front of my class in one of the college courses I took. I was shacking and sweating like crazy though I managed to keep my voice from shaking or stammering. I thought my heart was going to explode. If it had been a really long report I doubt I could have made it through but at least I passed the course. I even heard people comment about "look how sacred he is". Nightmare. One of the few classes I need to complete my degree is public speaking of all things, that will definitely be the last one I do once I get started back.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:22 am

who said that? that is not true at all. When i had to give oral reports for school or whatever i would panic and shake and mumble. it was not fun at all.

How did this equation get created?
ASPIES=NO STAGE FRIGHT

martin_nyc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2007, 6:40 am

I think that stagefright operates independently of spectrum status. I've been told that I'm actually quite good at public speaking. It's not really an interaction...it's delivering a monologue to the opposite wall. I was told to occasionally make eye contact with random audience members, and THIS can make me trip up a bit or stutter. A nice tactic for me is pacing slightly like some professor giving a lecture, although with this tactic you should be very careful not to use condescending language and stop every so often to smile.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2007, 8:29 am

I took public speaking, lucky for me I only had to do it in front of a class of 20 people, anymore then that and I would have been terrified. I get stage fright, i could do it, i would just need some serious whisky in me to do so. I did do well in public speaking, never do i want to do it again.

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 10:00 am

I get stage fright, but I've always been able to overcome it.

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2007, 12:03 pm

I read in it Tony Attwood's book the complete guide to Asperger's Syndrome.

danS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2007, 12:24 pm

pixie-bell, I cannot find it. Could you please give the page references.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Oct 2007, 2:04 pm

i hated speaking infront of people, in highschool we had to take a rhetoric class and i was so terrible at it because we were put on the spot and had to pull topics to talk about out of nowhere. well obviously with my narrow intrests, and subject matter this was a problem for me.

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2007, 2:11 pm

neither my aspie dad nor I were/are afraid of public speaking, we are not brave, we just don't get it

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 2:25 pm

Ahh I hate public speaking, its the worst, unless I'm wearing a costume that covers my face, and my body, that its pure torture. I had to talk to a bunch of people while I was tweety bird at six flags once, and it was a piece of cake, I even had an verbal debate with sylvester about why I was cuter lol, but as soon as I took it off, I was scared sh*tless of talking to big groups of people.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:04 pm

The performer in me actually likes it!

Of course, if I'm public speaking, I need to know what I'm talking about. I love acting and band performances though. :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:59 pm

I can't judge the volume of my voice (for example talking to my pupils I always have a feeling I'm simply shouting but what else should I do while those spoilt brats from the last rows are making a noise all the time talking to each other). I can't also concentrate on two things at the same time - speaking and having an eye contact with an audience.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 4:26 pm

Irulan wrote:
I can't judge the volume of my voice (for example talking to my pupils I always have a feeling I'm simply shouting but what else should I do while those spoilt brats from the last rows are making a noise all the time talking to each other). I can't also concentrate on two things at the same time - speaking and having an eye contact with an audience.

Practice your throwing arm so you can hurl stuff at the back row with great accuracy. :) I'm thinking molotov cocktails, but that might not work unless you have great tenure. ;)

Like the story of a teacher who began every class placing a rubber ball on his desk. Noone knew why he did it until one kid fell asleep in his class, and he whipped it at him. It bounced perfectly off his head with marksman accuracy.
...the next day he ceremoniously began his class placing a baseball on his desk. ;)