Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

psych
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:36 am

No error msg this time.

On 'view new posts', scroll down & click on page 2,3 etc it just reloads page 1 again.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:48 am

Really? As far as I can see, it's still busted in exactly the same way. F'rinstance, when I click on your profile, and want to see all your posts, I can see the first page, linking to your latest 86 posts. If I go to the bottom of the page and click "NEXT" to see the following page (posts 87 through . . . ), it still says "No topics or posts met your search criteria".

Still busted the same way, as far as I can see. :?

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2007, 5:37 pm

I'm getting the same thing as psych, started sometime yesterday for me.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 11:29 pm

psych wrote:
No error msg this time.

On 'view new posts', scroll down & click on page 2,3 etc it just reloads page 1 again.

Happened to me also, starting Sunday night or Monday morning (Eastern U.S. time). Was totally baffled & rather perturbed, so skipped visiting site for couple days-in hopes it would be fixed.
It's Wednesday morning & seems finally to be to be working properly. (crosses fingers, knocks on wood).

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:58 am

Yes, all seems fine now. :)

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 5:29 am

psych wrote:
Yes, all seems fine now. :)

With the exception that what I described remains true (i.e.: broken, as it's been for months and months). From the index page, click "View posts since last visit". If there've been more than 50 posts since your last visit, neither page 2 nor "next" will work; they'll only produce this:

Same thing if you want to see more than one page of anyone's previous posts. Plain ol' broken. :?

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 5:46 am

UncleBeer, im no stranger to that problem. Luckily its always gone away after a short while. Losing the 'view new posts' is a real pain - ive had to abandon the boards before, because of the time it takes to sift through the increasing list of forums.

Its interesting how were getting different problems :? Im not really technical enough to suggest why.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 7:25 am

This has been discussed previously in various threads (if I could look past page 1 of my own posts, I'd post a link to it; unfortunately though...).

The workaround for viewing the 2nd page of "new posts since last visit" is this link: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... s&start=50

For the 3rd page, edit "50" to read "100". For the 4th page, edit "100" to read "150", and so on. This workaround was concocted by user "0_equals_true", who also says the underlying problem is easily fixed.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 9:44 am

UncleBeer wrote:
This has been discussed previously in various threads (if I could look past page 1 of my own posts, I'd post a link to it; unfortunately though...).

The workaround for viewing the 2nd page of "new posts since last visit" is this link: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... s&start=50

For the 3rd page, edit "50" to read "100". For the 4th page, edit "100" to read "150", and so on. This workaround was concocted by user "0_equals_true", who also says the underlying problem is easily fixed.

There are several search methods. New posts, ego posts, search id/search author, search terms/mixed searches as part of the overall search facility and there are a couple of problem associated with them. Some of these facilities have been not been properly implemented as part of the overall system and it is becoming fragmented and broken.

New/ego posts not working properly.

Search term/mixed searches in still using the Google search which doesn’t really do the job properly. Essentially mixed searches don't exist as such.

Search id/search author not working now.

What I find most annoying is doing work on a live site. It is poor form. You should use test severs to test you scripts on so you know they are working before you upload them. Also if something is unavoidably going to cause an inconvenience you should let people know about it.

I do appreciate new features such as the short urls but maybe time should be spent on the existing problems rather than new features that can have their own problems. The short uls doesn’t have a highlight feature, there may be other things.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 9:51 am

In defence php is a tremendously scrappy language to tbh. I can be difficult to read secondary software and figure out the exact function. The 'embedded' style of such scripting languages often lacks structure.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:12 am

I vote we pass the hat and get you to fix it! :D

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 11:16 am

UncleBeer wrote:
I vote we pass the hat and get you to fix it! :D

Oh joy :lol:

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Oct 2007, 1:10 pm

Ok. Your complaining had finally gotten to me so I fixed the view new posts since last visit

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 1:21 pm

Thank you, Alex.

Uhhh, at the risk of again being tagged a "complainer", we can still only see the first page of folks' posts (i.e.: historical posts from specific posters).

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 1:44 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
Thank you, Alex.

Uhhh, at the risk of again being tagged a "complainer", we can still only see the first page of folks' posts (i.e.: historical posts from specific posters).

It is possible that there are only that many results. The pagination before was actually for another query I believe.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 2:06 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
Thank you, Alex.

It is possible that there are only that many results. The pagination before was actually for another query I believe.

Nope. Of your 2846 posts, when I click on your profile and ask to view all your posts, I can see the first page only, thus only your last 15 posts. The other 181 pages of your posts are absolutely inaccessible this way.

But I've made my point. I'll stop being a "moaning git" now. :roll: