Hello, what do we know about diagnoses?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Etherealself
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2007, 2:53 pm

Hello, everyone I'm new here.

This year a psychologist and a psychiatrist have both suggested I might have Asperger's syndrome, but I stopped seeing the professionals a while ago before any actual diagnoses had been made. Does anyone know how diagnoses have to be made? I know I fit some of the criteria such as being awkward in social situations and with strangers and having had a difficult time at school in what would be quite standard ways. I'm now 23 and still have some problems in social situations and very little aptitude for job interviews and the like. I do obsess about subjects of interest to me which noone else can fathom, but I also have obsessive compulsive disorder which might just be indicative of a different condition. And I'm less sure about other points.

Is there any standard procedure for actually making a concrete diagnosis?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2007, 3:07 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

9-9-2006
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2007, 3:38 pm

HAI Gegroet! :D

Where i live i was going to the GGZ a building there where i was diagnosed.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2007, 3:40 pm

I'm no phyciatrist, and frankly I don't trust them half as far as I could throw them. If they're doing their jobs though, they look for how you react to situations, making eye contact, how you present yourself, ect.

Right now AS is in the spotlight, show any symptoms at all and they'll tell you that you have it. Don't focus on it too much, alright. ^^ Oh, and welcome to wrong planet.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 4:45 pm

Nice to meet you, Etherealself. :)

I believe was I diagnoses at Georgetown Medical Hospital in D.C. at 3 1/2 with DD and then later with Asperger's Syndrome in middle school.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:16 pm

I was diagnosed as ret*d, then as gifted, and then undiagnosed as a little weird.