Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 8:05 pm

I have finally got my 466Mhz Celeron downgraded from 2000 to 98.
I got my MS-DOS mode sound and mouse drivers installed onto system configuration. I was also looking through some old disks a friend had and picked up Dos Shell for MS-DOS 6. [So i don`t have to use the command prompt.] After turning off all acCess resources. Freeing all conventional memory to 610KB and enabling EMS/XMS support by default is helping me alot. However i am having a hard time getting the computer to booy straight to Dos Shell after shutting Windows 98 down and putting the computer into MS-DOS mode.[Nothing to type.] However when entering Dos Shell into my autoexec file i only got the boot into dos shell before 98 bootup. Any Advice.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 8:33 pm

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly... are you trying to run it as what amounts to an MSDOS machine, and skip the W98 side of things altogether?

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 8:47 pm

geek wrote:
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly... are you trying to run it as what amounts to an MSDOS machine, and skip the W98 side of things altogether?

I trying to make it to were when i restart my computer in MS-DOS
mode it would go straight to Dos Shell without having to type the command at the prompt. If that doesn`t work a dual-boot menu at startup will help. Once everything on my other computers are in gear i might just use this on as a dosbox

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2007, 9:59 pm

It's been a long time since I've had to use it, but you can create a DOSSTART.BAT file in C:\Windows and it will execute the commands after you select "Restart in MS-DOS Mode". DOSSTART.BAT may already exist depending on your configuration so I'd back it up first if it does.

You could still do a boot menu that times out after a few seconds to load Windows or the DOS Shell automatically too.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 7:46 pm

overflow wrote:
It's been a long time since I've had to use it, but you can create a DOSSTART.BAT file in C:\Windows and it will execute the commands after you select "Restart in MS-DOS Mode". DOSSTART.BAT may already exist depending on your configuration so I'd back it up first if it does.

You could still do a boot menu that times out after a few seconds to load Windows or the DOS Shell automatically too.

Thanks, now i can load strsight to dos shell without typing the command. Now if only i can get EMS/XMS Support by prompt default. [Windows 98SE has i mode like that but your cd-rom/
mouse drivers can`t be loaded up.]

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 2:02 am

wow I feel old reading this! :P

Can't you add the EMS/XMS instructions to the dosstart file?

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2007, 2:28 am

I'm thinking that XMS/EMS had to be specified in CONFIG.SYS by loading EMM386.EXE, but I think you could do that and still run Windows normally. Or do you only want it when using 'Restart in MS-DOS Mode'? Unsure if that is possible.

Regarding loading your CD and mouse drivers, you should be able to specify a custom config to load them for a shortcut to any dos program. Again, this is all from memory so I might be way off.