Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 5:29 am

I'm allergic to coffee

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2007, 5:37 am

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:

however, i don't really like coffee too much. but also, a pill just doesn't hit me the same. does anyone know of an herbal tea or something i could try that has tons of caffeine in it???

i'd REALLY like to know. (the boxes of tea in the store don't say.)

holdsteady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2007, 5:49 am

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
i_Am_andaJoy wrote:

however, i don't really like coffee too much. but also, a pill just doesn't hit me the same. does anyone know of an herbal tea or something i could try that has tons of caffeine in it???

i'd REALLY like to know. (the boxes of tea in the store don't say.)

mine doesnt if that helps

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2007, 6:01 am

I hate the taste of coffee. However, it is the smell of coffee that is the issue for me. The smell of coffee gives me sensory overload.
level 1 - offended by the smell
level 2 - headache from smell
level 3 - earache
level 4 - dizzyness
level 5 - disorintation
level 6 - panicky feeling
level 7 - panick attack

level 1 is always reached.
level most times.

other levels now and then if exposed for too long. Level 7 is quite rare but happens if already very overloaded or stressed and I cannot find where the coffee is.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 6:32 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
For most of my adult life, I did not drink coffee. I simply never liked coffee flavor. There is one exception. I will drink the fruit flavored coffees at Dunkin Donuts if they are served hot and have cream and sugar in them. They are not too bad and the caffeine wakes me up.

But plain black coffee: Forget about it. I loathe the stuff. Never liked it. Never will. Don't care for iced coffee. Tea on the other hand with lemon and sugar I always liked. Do you think being on the Autistic Spectrum has any bearing on whether you dislike the taste of coffee? Am I the only one who feels this way?

it's common for autistics to either have a hypo or hyper sensitive sense of taste,more common than autistics with normal sense of taste.
as coffee is a strong taste [especially the plain stuff],it would be more likely to appeal less to those who have a hypersensitive sense of taste,but it's possible not just to like the taste of it anyway,it is a unique flavour.
have tried mocha? the chocolate dulls the coffee a bit and tastes good.

Bearsac-Debra,
have ever got sick from the smell of it?
sister [NT] started having this problem some time ago,used to drink it,but then the smell started to make her dizzy and sick.

Quote:
I see no one yet has said that coffee makes them speedy. My friend said that she gives her teenager son coffee before gong to bed at it helps with his ADD, do you think that stimulants have this effect with people on the spectrum?

am self medicated with caffeine for years,it has the reverse effect on am and slows am down,am have been diagnosed with adhd though,as well as having autism,not sure how it would affect someone who was purely autie or aspie.

bigizz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2007, 6:35 am

I love strong black coffee, I have a grinder and everything. For a while one of my obsessions was coffee and I used to order beans from all over and wnatnot. Now that has faded and I just use Costco brand.

I think it also has a different effect on me than most. I remember when I first started drinking the world would slow down so much and I would be able to think about a hundred things in every moment.

Bodorus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2007, 7:39 am

i love a little bit espresso coffee as black as the night and so strong that the cup almost cracks with a lot of milk in it, preferable goat's milk, and without sugar.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 8:17 am

I love coffee without sweetener only a little milk in it. I cannot drink more than 1 cup at a time on an empty stomach. It gives me a tummyache and makes my head feel funny. I can drink a cup before going to sleep at night.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 8:24 am

many NT people also had to get used to the taste of their first coffee, alcohol and cigarettes, because that's just what adults do. most people on autistic spectrum, however, don't respond to peer pressure and unlike the NT ones they don't see a reason to get used to the taste of it just to fit. i'd never started drinking alcohol, coffee, smoking cigarettes, on the contrary i never stopped drinking milk and eating cookies :)

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 8:33 am

Can't stand the taste of coffee.

surroundfan

10 Oct 2007, 8:37 am

Love my Rancilio espresso machine and the short blacks and lattes I can make with it...

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 8:41 am

A little instant coffee...3 spoons of sugar and lots of creamer.

Basically it's sugar water with the flavor of coffee. :roll:

Probably like those sugary bottled coffee beverages which I detest...I really hate cold coffee.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 8:48 am

I like coffee with milk.

weird_el
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2007, 9:01 am

I LOVE coffee. It gets my brain working in the morning. I like it fresh-ground and black. I didn't like it at all until I was 25, but I eventually succumbed to the aromas.

For later in the day I like caramel macchiatos once in a while. I only drink coffee at night if I'm also eating a rich dessert.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 9:31 am

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:

The caffeine from tea comes from the tea leaf and herbal teas usually don't have any actual tea in them and thus no caffeine. Tea typically has less caffeine than coffee does. Usually black teas will have about half the caffeine and green teas around 1/4 that of coffee. White tea has even less I believe. For other sources of caffeine, you can also look for cocoa or dark chocolates and things like energy drinks that have guaranine, mateine, or theine. These are all synonyms for the chemical compound caffeine and just refer to the source of the caffeine.