Almost to 14,000 Members ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 7:35 pm

ohhhhhhhh I get it :)
okay...
cool 8)

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 8:08 pm

The suspicious side of me is thinking the majority of those are multiple accounts. Someone joins, don't like their handle (or are offended or ashamed for something they say) so they create another account. Are multi accounts checked here? I check each person that joins my boards. That's a heck of a lot of people otherwise. 8O

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 8:59 pm

Wrackspurt wrote:
The suspicious side of me is thinking the majority of those are multiple accounts. Someone joins, don't like their handle (or are offended or ashamed for something they say) so they create another account. Are multi accounts checked here? I check each person that joins my boards. That's a heck of a lot of people otherwise. 8O

Yeah, there are people who do that. And there are people who come on and make sockpuppets that either fight or agree them(selves). And there are people who are banned and come back with a new account (Atomika has to have at least five separate accounts by now). And trolls. There are also those who join and never post, or make exceptionally few posts.

So, no, there aren't (almost) 14,000 distinct people here, but there are (almost) 14,000 distinct members. Ten to go, actually.

Three years!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 8:15 am

Active members on line run a hundred. with five times that in non-members watching.

Many are not verbal, even with a keyboard. Things like last summer scatter people.

I watch as people who I have seen watching, their names above the forum, but never posting, quit lurking and say something, then go back to lurking. Later they post again, and after a few Hi and Welcome responses start comunicating, perhaps for the first time in their lives.

Trolls and sock puppets can send them back into hiding. They can also drive regular posters away.

Posters are a talkitive lot. It is hard to break in.

From the number of people who derive value from being here, five to one non-members who can't post, I think we should be more welcoming to members.

One thing that comes to mind is at signup, an automatic Getting to know you, post, giving a chance for Tim_Tex to welcome them. Others come and go, but try beating Tim sometime. With a half dozen welcomes, they might feel better about responding.

There is this thing called AS, people who have it often only speak when directly addressed. Once they start they can keep going. A little effort at being inclusive, and protective, and more people would have a voice.

So banish trolls and sock puppets, soften your sharp tongue, and let us lead others out of the darkness I lived in for so long before I found this place.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 9:42 am

13,999!! ! 8O

Quick, someone register a new sockpuppet!! :lol:

Schroedingercat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2007, 9:50 am

Well, seems like I'm the the one who hit the 14k :p.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 9:50 am

As soon as I posted, the 14,000th member has joined.

Congrats "crackedpleasures" :)

(sorry for the multiple post)

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 10:09 am

Inventor wrote:

There is this thing called AS, people who have it often only speak when directly addressed. Once they start they can keep going. A little effort at being inclusive, and protective, and more people would have a voice.

So banish trolls and sock puppets, soften your sharp tongue, and let us lead others out of the darkness I lived in for so long before I found this place.

Yes. I always wonder why people just post a few posts, maybe just say hi, then leave. It seems such a pity. Trolls and sock puppets freak out even some of the regular posters so newbies don't stand a chance.

Tim is brilliant at welcoming members, he should get some kind of award :)

Let's not forget how we felt before we found his AS haven, and how pleased we are now to feel it is home. Maybe if newbs got a warmer welcome, they'd stick around long enough to settle in here.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2007, 10:19 am

Schroedingercat wrote:
Well, seems like I'm the the one who hit the 14k :p.

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 7:33 pm

Welcome back! :D

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 7:55 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Welcome back! :D

you too, CR! :)

It may be me not posting as often, but it seems you been away from WP too.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 11:08 am

Inventor wrote:
One thing that comes to mind is at signup, an automatic Getting to know you, post, giving a chance for Tim_Tex to welcome them. Others come and go, but try beating Tim sometime. With a half dozen welcomes, they might feel better about responding.

Haha, can't beat Tim_tex! He's always there :) *thumbs up*

Some people get many responses, but never come back, or keep lurking 'till something that interests them pops up, only then they say something. Strange.