What the hell is a PHOBIA anyways??? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What the hell is a PHOBIA anyways??? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 66

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 9:18 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
thats a wombat??? I never really saw a picture of one until now....looks like a mutated bunny.

That's what makes them so scary!

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 10:20 pm

Besides social humiliation..........

*The dark, I'm 30 years old and being in total darkness freaks me out the same as it did when I was seven. I guess because since I can't use my sight to detect anything that might be a threat.

*Opening my eyes underwater, it hurts and the distortion caused by light bending underwater is disconcerting.

*Hearing the song, "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins. It's one of those songs I can't get out of my head if I even hear the intro.

*Anything floating or falling into my bath water like black specks, bugs or anything else other than suds or soap. To say it makes my skin crawl would be an understatement.

*I kind of have a fear of high ceilings but only when seeing them in dreams. I don't sleep on my back for that very reason since it seems to exacerbate these nightmares. But if I see one in real life, it doesn't bother me at all.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 1:18 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Sophist wrote:
X-FILES!! ! I adore my X-Files... my lovely, lovely X-Files...

fervently agrees. though she was secretly afraid until a year ago.

Oh, I began watching (and obsessively recording) X-Files since right after the movie (I know, I know. I wasn't there from the actual beginning :cry: ). I was so obsessed with recording it every single week-- and also the rerun that often followed the new one-- that when I went into the hospital for the first time in high school, I tried to bring my television and tapes with me. And when I was told I couldn't do that, I threw a small fit until my mother promised to record them for me. But I agreed only if she promised to start the recording five minutes before the show started so that I wouldn't miss anything, sit there to make sure the tape didn't run out at all, and wait a full minute until after ALL the credits were done to stop the recording. I was anal. So sue me.

(But now I have all the seasons and the movie on DVD-- which reminds me: I need to continue with my X-Marathon...)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 6:45 am

For a long time I was obsessed with Stargate SG-1 and had to see every episode that was aired. Recently I have been finding it difficult to watch it every day because I have seen every episode from every season more times that I can keep track of (except this season) and I basically have memorized every episode, which makes them boring. Friday night IS Sci-Fi night here.

I had an X-Files (have memorized ALMOST every episode, but have missed a few) obsession and a Roswell obsession as well. I generally have to schedule my activities around my TV obsessions.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2005, 7:24 am

What's the phobia term for fear of marriage?

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 7:47 am

aaronkt wrote:
What's the phobia term for fear of marriage?

My guess was "Espousalphobia," but I looked it up and it is actually: "Gametophobia," or "Gamophobia."

Sarah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2005, 8:59 am

I also used to go really faint if I saw blood, I didn't even like the word blood. Anyone around me used to call it the b-word.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:09 am

Sarah wrote:
I also used to go really faint if I saw blood, I didn't even like the word blood. Anyone around me used to call it the b-word.

"The b-word." I like that. I can't even watch blood in cartoons. Last night on a Simpsons rerun, Homer got his hand caught in a paper shredder. My face was pressed into the back of the couch until it was safe to watch again.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:11 am

So what happens when you cut yourself?

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:16 am

Is there a scientific term for a fear of using a public urinal because someone in the urinal next to you may peek at you and/or laugh at you? :P

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:19 am

Beinglaughedatwhileusingaurinalphobia.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:27 am

thatrsdude wrote:
So what happens when you cut yourself?

The last time I cut myself...

I was cutting a small wire with a pair of scissors and snipped a finger. Lots of blood. As soon as I realized I cut myself I was running around the living room and kitchen screamin and flapping my hands in the air flinging blood everywhere. My companion wrapped my finger in a towel so I wouldn't see it and took me to the ER. The doctor said it wasn't bad, but that those cuts bleed a lot. Needless to say, I am now a little nervous when using scissors.

I can deal with small scrapes and scratches, but I freak out if there is any blood flow.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:44 am

For some odd reason, I have a phobia of leaving electronics or appliances on too long and having them catch on fire, but obviously that would be a million to one of that happening. I even had a dream about the oven catching fire, even though I'm not afraid of the oven catching on fire, because obviously it's supposed to be hot. I also have the common fear of spiders, and when I was little I was scared of the carpet cleaner at our old house. I'm not afraid of it anymore, I guess I just sort of grew out of it. Plus, rarely, I'm scared of going to sleep because I wouldn't know what it would feel like going into the dreamworld; I'm not quite sure why.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:46 am

I am also that way about electronics and appliances and have a mental checklist I have to go through before I can leave the house.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 11:21 am

I read a book about phobias. It was a more like a list. One of them was something about peanut butter. And the phobia of long words was a long word.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 12:08 pm

Are there phobias about the fear of phobias or spontaneous human combustion?

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.