No, I have no phobias I can think of. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
What the hell is a PHOBIA anyways??? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What the hell is a PHOBIA anyways??? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 66

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2005, 10:22 pm

Since there is a higher representation of Anxiety Disorders in the ASDs, I was just wondering if any of you have any phobias. (You can include Social Phobia if you want though this is not technically a Simple Phobia.)

As for myself:

1. fear of vomiting and of vomit

2. fear of the movie, The Ring (I am utterly serious about this one)

3. fear of water (though this is more likened to an uneasiness around/in water, so I might not classify this as a "phobia" per se)

4. mild social phobia

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 8:32 am

Way more than one and way to many to list. I am told a lot of my OCD symptoms are fear related (utensils can't touch the counter, hands can only be wiped with a specific towel, if I don't take a shower before I go to the store someone might smell something that I don't smell.. etc...).

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

PaulB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2005, 8:34 am

I have two main phobias (besides social phobia):

1.) spiders
2.) high ceilings

I don't know why, but I am terrified to be inside a structure under a high ceiling. I'm ok outdoors and in the open, but for some reason I don't like high ceilings. I know that this is a very unusual phobia, because I've looked all over for a name for it and I can't find one. I have nightmares about living in a complex with a central atrium that is several stories high. I have no problem with heights, just looking up.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 8:44 am

OK, I just read my own post and came to this realization...

I am afraid of dirt. That's the first item on my list.

Dirt and germs, anything dirty, or anything that might be dirty.

I can't use other people's computer keyboards because I don't want dirt from their fingers getting on mine.

My doctor says I have a fear of being late.

Speakers have to lined up perfectly because if they aren't there may be slight deviations in volume in the stereo field and I won't hear things the way they were intended to be heard. On that same subject, I always have to be positioned perfectly between two speakers. That's understandable in a recording studio, but in someone's living room... If someone has their speakers misaligned I will line them up correctly if I can. If I can't then I will point out the problem with the way they have them setup.

OK, now I am babbling... I am going to find another post to obsess over.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

Sarah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2005, 1:14 pm

PaulB wrote:

1.) spiders
2.) high ceilings

I don't know why, but I am terrified to be inside a structure under a high ceiling. I'm ok outdoors and in the open, but for some reason I don't like high ceilings. I know that this is a very unusual phobia, because I've looked all over for a name for it and I can't find one. I have nightmares about living in a complex with a central atrium that is several stories high. I have no problem with heights, just looking up.

I have a phobia of high ceilings too!! ! It's called batophobia, I've also had nightmares about it too.

I also have a phobia of dogs, germs and a mild phobia of heights.

I'm not too bad now but here are some of the phobias I've had in the past:

- Black bin liners.
- Certain theme tunes (not the show itself though just the tune).
- Cob-webs (I liked the spiders, just not the webs).
- Bees (including a playdoh bee my dad once made).
- Anything poisonous.
+ More which I've forgotten.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:46 pm

I have an uneasiness with heights, but this is mainly because my balance isn't so good. Thus, I feel more like I will fall and given my balance issues, this has a greater probability of actually happening. :? :?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:50 pm

As a kid, I used to be afraid of dogs for a couple of years. I eventually outgrew it, since there were quite a few friendly dogs in my apartment building. It just took me some time to realize that they were friendly, lol.

I had a few fears of household objects. The strongest one was of a chandelier in my own apartment. I was terrified of the thing, and had constant nightmares about it. But I'm guessing that has to do with Asperger's Syndrome, and not a phobia. (I wonder what a medical term for a fear of chandeliers would be?)

On a side note, I was never scared of household objects in other people's homes or in public places. When I was in a store, I once saw a chandelier like the one in my apartment, and felt no fear whatsoever. It just seemed like a plain old light source. At home, the exact same thing was a bane of my existance. Would anyone care to explain it? It just seems so paradoxical.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 05 Aug 2005, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:52 pm

Spiders
Heights
This is new. Pictures of watermelon headed aliens. I was watching the X-files a few days ago and I couldn't watch it after a minute because a character was an alien. No idea why.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:52 pm

DeepThought wrote:

My doctor says I have a fear of being late.

I'm terrified of being late also, or of offending people/pissing them off in other ways as well.

PaulB wrote:
1.) spiders

I've got arachniphobia too. Spiders, bugs, basically anything with more than four legs, I do not like. As, in, I. Do. Not. Like.

Sophist wrote:
I have an uneasiness with heights, but this is mainly because my balance isn't so good. Thus, I feel more like I will fall and given my balance issues, this has a greater probability of actually happening. :? :?

It's not quite a phobia, but every so often I'll start freaking out on stairs because the repetitiveness of them confuses some part of my brain and I feel like I'll fall. ((This happens both going up and down but sucks more going down.)) I know that's not describing it adequately but that's what I think goes wrong, the repetitiveness.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:57 pm

DeepThought wrote:
Speakers have to lined up perfectly because if they aren't there may be slight deviations in volume in the stereo field and I won't hear things the way they were intended to be heard. On that same subject, I always have to be positioned perfectly between two speakers. That's understandable in a recording studio, but in someone's living room... If someone has their speakers misaligned I will line them up correctly if I can. If I can't then I will point out the problem with the way they have them setup.

I'm also OCD. I can understand the speaker thing, I'm like that but not as much as you are. I'm just really annoyed by it. Recently, my mom put the two stero speakers on top of a piece of furniture hanging on the wall. Now the sound quality is terrible because they're high up, and right next to each other.

I have a fear of uncontrolled/unsafe heights. Basically, I'm a ladder-hugger. Any kind of heights that seem unsafe, I avoid.

Nuns. I went to a Catholic Private School for K-1, and I was a very terrible student. And nuns ran the place, so they scare me now. Creepy penguin ladies.

I think that's all.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 6:12 pm

I'm afraid of:

1.heights
2.monsters in red(I was scared outta my mind during "The Village")
3.zombies(I saw "Dawn of the Dead" 2 nights ago and it gave me nightmares)
4.spiders
5.snakes
6.the "Razz" smiley

and that's all I can think of...

8O SpaceCase 8O

sparkman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2005, 6:50 pm

For me:

1 heights
2 nail clippers
3 any kind of social situation
4 people i dont know
5 bieng seperated from where I live for too long
6 large buildings

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 8:16 pm

1. Ferris wheels
2. clausterphobia

I used to have an insane phobia about hospitals but when I became pregnant I had to get help and work through it.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 8:53 pm

Things I'm afraid of or, in some cases, strongly loathe (not in order):
1. Atomic Bombs
2.Poisoned gas
3. Gas masks (Yes, I know it contradicts with the above, but gas masks are scary)
4.Frank the Bunny
5.The soles of peoples' feet (not really fear so much as strong hatred)
6.Small children (same as above)
7.Time travel
8. Pissing people off
9.Complete silence

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 9:20 pm

Quote:
This is new. Pictures of watermelon headed aliens. I was watching the X-files a few days ago and I couldn't watch it after a minute because a character was an alien. No idea why.

X-FILES!! ! I adore my X-Files... my lovely, lovely X-Files...

Quote:
4.Frank the Bunny

I agree. Frank the Bunny was very creepy. 8O

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 9:35 pm

<-----Tempted to post more creepy pictures. :twisted:

Serissa wrote:
I'm terrified of being late also, or of offending people/pissing them off in other ways as well.

I definitely don't share those phobias. :lol: :P :roll:

SpaceCase wrote:
6.the "Razz" smiley

8O What???

Yupa wrote:
1. Atomic Bombs

No way, nukes rock! :skull: :jester: