are you in college?
yes 77%  77%  [ 24 ]
no 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 31

luckbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 1:41 am

I live in the dorms. Weird stuff goes on in the dorms- and I know weird. :nerdy: Tell me your stories and I'll tell you mine!

the2death5of6pathos
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2007, 8:58 pm

I'm a college student. I don't live in the dorms, but I know someone who used to live in the dorms and when she did, she injected alcohol so she can get drunk faster.

luckbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2007, 12:00 am

OMG! that's screwed up. I'm in Colorado, and being at a high altitude makes you drunk faster so I don't think anyone here does that. I don't drink at all. I went to a kegger to see what it was like and I thought it was boring. And all the drunk people are really annoying. People said afterwords that I should have drunk something, and then it would have been fun. I'm just glad I left early. I couldn't believe that that's what's concidered normal for college freshman. I do not want to loose my cognitive ablities in a sticky grudgy basement full of annoying drunk/ high people. And drinking in your dorm is just sad because it's a tiny little room and if you try and put other people in it all you can do is stand around worring about getting caught. Pathetic really. which is probably why it's mostly freshman that party. people get older and grow up.

the2death5of6pathos
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2007, 2:00 am

Keggers are... silly. I have not been to one, and don't want to take the drugs it would take to make me want to go to one. You mentioned you didn't want to drink while you were in an uncomfortable situation, and while a kegger seems like a fine place to focus on escaping, alcohol has helped me an untold amount.

When I first started drinking, I had to take several rounds of Everclear shots before my speech even slurred, before I loosened up, before I started to feel comfortable around people I had only met an hour or two before (the setting was safe, but I was stupid enough to have probably done it anyways). Beer was as alcoholic as tap water, then. Now, I can start feeling red in the face and loosened up after a single (albeit stout) beer.

The dorm experience is one I can not comment on, as I have always lived off campus, and always been glad that I have. Do you have anyone who has a place that is safe/comfortable for a social gathering? [any aspie wanting to be more sociable should not overlook the potential college provides]

I have picked up some weird friends off campus though... very very many of which have/do serendipitously lived in the same apartment complex as I used to (as in making friends with someone and realizing he lives 10 feet from you). Examples:

1) A profoundly gifted bipolar physicist prone to bouts of explosive and inane mania, exacerbated by alcohol and marijuana.
2) A taoist programmer, who you would assume is a sublime philosopher. Also a heavy MMORPG gamer.
3) An Irish formerly bi curious male diabetic English major devout Christian with no natural testosterone production. Jokes directed at him always relate to his (type one!) diabetes.

I would go on, but I havent done the three I listed justice, so whats the point?

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 10:44 pm

I'm in my senior year of college and live in the dorms as I've done every year. I never went to any of the college parties. I don't really do well at parties and came to college for an education not to socialize or get drunk so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Ben_Cardwell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2007, 9:00 am

First semester for me. Going well so far.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 6:56 pm

This past year I lived in a crazy, party dorm. I didnt have much of a choice being freshman. Plenty of drinking, partying, drugs, smoking, and other stuff. Very loud too which got annoying. Our dorm comstantly smelled like weed. Since I was quite clueless I had no idea until other people told me. It was very crazy, I never took part in any of the craziness. This year Im in a quieter dorm, things should be better.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:27 pm

I'm a student at university and I've lived in a dormitory for two years. Nothing that crazy happens in my dormitory... either that or I don't hear about it until afterwards. But then again, I'm almost always in the science center and lots of crazy things happen there.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:05 am

I actaull chatted with two of my suite mate so far and we get along so far but you never what is in the future.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2008, 6:54 pm

This will be my third year in the dorms (move-in day was yesterday I'm so glad it's over). Last year we had several odd things happen:

1) The dorm I stay in is the tallest on campus with 10 floors. Naturally the elevators get a lot of use especially by those who live above the 5th floor (I'm on the 5th floor). The two elevators are better than most on campus but that isn't saying much especially since as far as I can tell they do no routine maintenance on the elevators during the school year. Anyway, last year one of them fell from the 9th floor to the 1st floor with a girl in it. The emergency break prevented it from hitting the basement so no-one was hurt. What it dumb is that after they fixed the one that fell they didn't bother to do any maintenance to the other elevator because it still made the same horrible noises it had been before while the newly fixed one made no noise at all (where it was originally as loud as it's partner).

2) Power Outage - So one night I'm in my room minding my own business and the power goes out, and stays out. No one seemed to know what caused most of the campus except for the Harper-Wycoff Residence Hall to loose power. Power didn't return until around 4am the next morning and without my noise maker I had the worst night of sleep (it would have been fine if the other girls on the floor and there idiot guy friends weren't screaming like idiots 'til 2am). Come to find out later that the reason for the power outage was...wait for it... a mouse. It had gotten into once of the utility rooms and chewed through a wire which then shorted out most of the campus electrical grid.

3) Spring Earthquake - I live and go to school in Central Illinois, it is not exactly considered an earthquake zone. However, I was aware that quakes had been felt up here before I had never experienced one myself. So I was really confused when I woke up at 4 am April 18th to the realization that something was rocking me back and forth in my lofted bed. I don't have a roommate so it couldn't be a person and I ruled out dreaming when I woke myself up. I remove my eye-mask to find my TV stand rocking and the water in my fish tank sloshing. I knew it was probably an earthquake and my first thoughts were What if this is that monster quake that they say the New Madrid fault is capable of? If it is where do I go? We don't have earthquake drills... I want my mommy! The earth quake was a 5.2 and had a 4.something aftershock around 10am that I didn't feel even though I was still on the 5th floor I just wasn't on my loft.

4) River in the Hallway - So I'm in my room second semester minding my own business when I walk over to the door to hit the light switch and notice my socks are soaking up water... I open the door and find a river flowing from the bathroom straight down the hall and into my corner-room. It took three full sized towels and constant bailing to keep the water from moving farther into my room. What is worse is that it happened around 4pm which is when maintenance starts to go home. So it took extra long for someone to come find the source of the water and stop it, and even longer for a guy to come clean all the water up. Thankfully, it was the sinks the backed up and not the toilets so the water was pretty clean though it didn't smell good but the tap water in the city stinks anyway from the sulfur they treat with. A few other floors had minor backups that night but none as extensive as the one on the 5th floor.

So those are a few of my stories, hopefully this year won't be quite as "interesting" as last year since I'm in the same room.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?