Now this is weird (from a fundamentalist Christian)

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 5:23 pm

A family friend of ours is a very strict, conservative Christian. This fellow is also quite weathly because he owns a company called City Glass, which put in doors and windows around the city.

Anyway he has an advert in the local paper every day, featuring a bible verse (he is very evangelical). Usually it's something nice like "God so loved the world" or "Come to Jesus today"

heres todays

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 5:44 pm

Yeah, that seems a tad twisted and inappropriate. :roll: :(

~Steve Jobs

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2005, 5:54 pm

surely it's just good common sense

-----------------------------------------------------------

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 6:09 pm

People can easily quote the Bible (or any book) out of context and manipulate the meaning. But then again, Leviticus is a rather confusing set of rules that seems to have more to do with the orthodox Jewish religion of the OT (Old Testament, for future reference) rather than modern day Christianity, or even modern Judaism.

Now, if asked which verse I would pick, I would not pick that one. Even if it is true, people seem to have a hard time understanding the Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the OT: Genesis, Exodus, Levitcus, Numbers and Deuteronomy), especially the latter 3.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 6:11 pm

I had two 'whores' stay downstairs from me in the last flat i stayed in and i didnt see what was so wicked about them. Admittedly it wouldnt be the first choice of work that any parent would choose for your daughter but criminalising them just makes the problem worse imo.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 6:23 pm

eamonn wrote:
I had two 'whores' stay downstairs from me in the last flat i stayed in and i didnt see what was so wicked about them. Admittedly it wouldnt be the first choice of work that any parent would choose for your daughter but criminalising them just makes the problem worse imo.

I completely agree.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 6:28 pm

this sounds like a response to something that happened there. maybe.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 6:47 pm

He lives in the wrong country. Not very many American dads sell their daughter for prostitution. Perhaps he should run it in, say, India. :roll: One of my big gripes with Christianity has been their penchant for applying a given verse to whatever meaning they wish it to have.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 8:00 pm

I can't help but notice the "666" right below the verse.

Anyways, complete mis-use of verse. It's nice to put verses in ads, but try not to offend or confuse anyone.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2005, 8:02 pm

Much of the law of Moses is to establish good rules of hygene and social order to prevent disease and unrest among the tribes of Israel...don't eat pork or you'll get trichonosis, menstruating women must stay outside of camp to keep the beasties away, etc. The consequences of whoredom are the source of manifold troubles; both to health and social order.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 8:14 pm

oatwillie wrote:
Much of the law of Moses is to establish good rules of hygene and social order to prevent disease and unrest among the tribes of Israel...don't eat pork or you'll get trichonosis, menstruating women must stay outside of camp to keep the beasties away, etc. The consequences of whoredom are the source of manifold troubles; both to health and social order.

The government criminalising prostitution brings about most of the social disorder and as long as you wear a condom then having sex is proven to be good for your health.

cooldude76230
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2005, 12:24 am

eamonn wrote:
oatwillie wrote:

The government criminalising prostitution brings about most of the social disorder and as long as you wear a condom then having sex is proven to be good for your health.

but its against Gods law in the sence that you are speaking of it in.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 1:14 am

rumio wrote:
surely it's just good common sense

LOLOLOL !

and i agree with eamonn - it's a job, and fulfils a need. i DON'T agree with prostitution for reasons such as financing habits, and anything else which means you're forced into it, however.

does seem like a bizarre thing to put in an ad, though, tom. still - it's the sort of thing which would make me whoop with laughter, if i ever read the terribly dull local paper.

speaking of bizarre local papers, anyone come across this before...? (hours of endless entertainment and howling, especially the personals...)

http://www.framleyexaminer.com/pages/index.html

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 7:56 am

He has one teenage daughter, she moved out last week to live with her boyfriend, I don't know whether that has anything to do with it.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 7:59 am

Once I saw a church which said "God saves" and underneath some vandal graffitied "Because he shops at Bi-Lo".

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 10:14 am

cooldude76230 wrote:
eamonn wrote:
oatwillie wrote:

but its against Gods law in the sence that you are speaking of it in.

I dont believe it is because the bible is a man-made work of fiction imo.